CK/HST - Transmission Leak

/ CK/HST - Transmission Leak #1  

Fuggley

Silver Member
I have a small persistent hydro fluid leak where the mid-section piece is joined to the back transmission case. See diag.
I had the tractor split and repaired last year with a bunch of new internal o-rings, new case bolts and re-goop gasteted. The leak stopped for a few months but now is baaaack. I notice that it drips a lot less (less than a teaspoon every month or two) if I don't relieve hydraulic pressure on the bucket when I shut it off so I'm probably not going to have the tractor split again any time soon.
Any ideas what could cause this? I assume it's always got hydro fluid in this section so is it most likely just a bad gasket application? Could a leaky hydro pump seal cause this?
ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1477437240.463688.jpg

.... actually, the gasket weeping is more like along the bottom. ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1477438748.254620.jpg

Last edited:
   / CK/HST - Transmission Leak #2  
'less than a teaspoon every month or two' ......................... If that is all it's leaking, I would not worry about it, just keep the system full.

/ CK/HST - Transmission Leak
yes... makes sense, I agree. The last time this happened before I had it split I torqued up the bolts pretty good but it didn't help. I had new T-case bolts installed when they put it back together just in case I stretched them.
I'm looking at the torque specs before I try that again and I see they are rated at between 1 and 1.2 foot pounds.... sheesh... that seems light? Is this a misprint or am I just stupid again :)
ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1477572523.914657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1477572540.144563.jpg

/ CK/HST - Transmission Leak #4  
48nm is 35 ft-lb. checked the web for conversions.
Joel

/ CK/HST - Transmission Leak #5  
yes... makes sense, I agree. The last time this happened before I had it split I torqued up the bolts pretty good but it didn't help. I had new T-case bolts installed when they put it back together just in case I stretched them.
I'm looking at the torque specs before I try that again and I see they are rated at between 1 and 1.2 foot pounds.... sheesh... that seems light? Is this a misprint or am I just stupid again :)
View attachment 486081
View attachment 486082
That spec should be listed in inch pounds if it isn't a misprint. Inch pounds is most common in aviation applications, but transmission bits use inch pounds frequently as well. Consider calling for clarification.

Thanks Joel, converting Nm to get 35 ft-lb seems reasonable. I could use that. Eric, I may call Kioti about this before I re torque. Should I bottle-jack up the transmission a bit at the join before I re torque? I had no luck stopping the leak before the split last time.

Is there a transmission guy on this site? If I get a leak at the bottom/back of that mid section case, is it just related to the case sealant gasket? Or could it be an internal seal/o-ring? To me, that section should be wet internally anyway, so so can't see how an internal seal/o-ring could cause what I'm experiencing.
Anyone have an expert opinion on this?

It's a low priority to me and its weeping so little that I hope I may never have to open the transmission up.... but if anyone has ever taken that mId-to-back section of the transmission apart, I could use an opinion as to the source of the leak? Is it most likely just the transmission sealing goop or an internal seal causing this? Thanks.

/ CK/HST - Transmission Leak #9  
If it were me, the leak would have to get bad enough that I was adding more transmission fluid than what I spent on 50 hour oil changes before I'd even consider touching it. A quart every ten hours or so of operation would in my book just be another "operating expense".

/ CK/HST - Transmission Leak #10  
There is a bobcat service bulletin for leaks in this area that results from the bolts stretching under torque conditions. Talk to a bobcat dealer or see if you can locate "knowledge article #000002611". I have heard of people retorquing their bolts multiple times and the keep loosening back up again until they are switched with the new hardware. Apparently it includes replacement bolt and washer part numbers as well as a procedure for replacement. I haven't seen it but would be interested to if you locate it. There has been good discussion on this in the bobcat tractors forum if you are able to dredge it up as well.

Justin