Snow Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #1  

kas2960

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK4010HST
Hi Everyone,
Question regarding snow removal attachments. So I am new to this as I just received my Kioti CK4010 this year:thumbsup:. I have a rear mount blower and the FEL as my set up now. I finally have the blower set up so it removes the right amount of snow for me, with out removing all the gravel on the lane well as well :) However, I seem to have a bit of a difficult time when using the FEL. I just can't seem to get the height or tilt correct all the time. I do agree the time in the seat will help but i have seen the QA plows and can't help but wonder how much better they would be compared to the bucket.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #2  
Indeed seat time,have you try lowering bucket than tilt back just a little than use float mode?

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #3  
How long a drive are U maintaining?
For sure a plow is nice for minor events as a blower is slow but snow gone like bye bye.
Remember that a plow creates build up that sometimes is hard to remove later.
Also plowed drives tend to get narrower as winter progresses.

For using your bucket there is a member that came up with an excellent solution that he calls 'edge tamers'.

The 'tamer' is sort of a small skid or ski that clamps onto the bucket cutting edge thus creating an inch* or so clearance thus avoiding stone/gravel pickup.
With tamers you then can use the FEL in float position w/o collecting gravel.

* leaving an inch that gets driven on and compacted makes for a great base for balance of the winter.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #4  
i have seen the QA plows and can't help but wonder how much better they would be compared to the bucket.
A snow blade that can angle is WAY better compared to the bucket IMO.
Especially on a gravel drive where you can set the skid shoes for your blade height.
The only time I use my bucket for snow is to move the piles back if needed. The bucket sucks for plowing snow.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #6  
A snow blade that can angle is WAY better compared to the bucket IMO.
Especially on a gravel drive where you can set the skid shoes for your blade height.
The only time I use my bucket for snow is to move the piles back if needed. The bucket sucks for plowing snow.

That's one opinion... really, it depends on the situation. The problems I've found with a plow blade...

- if you have banks, or ground near your driveway that is higher than your driveway it doesn't matter how you set the skid shoes the corner of the blade will easily gouge the ground and remove your turf no matter how you set the skids.
- if you have an area that needs the snow removed rather than just pushed to the side, the plow isn't the way to go
- you inevitably will get to a point where you can't push the pile and then what? I guess if you have the snow blower you turn around and blow the pile away.

you can solve the first issue by putting a pipe on the bottom of the plow blade. I've used PCV and Steel and neither held up. PCV cracks too easily. Steel builds up heat and melts against asphalt (but it was thin steel, need to try something thicker)

In the end I wound up with a snow bucket with 3 edge tamers as my 1st choice for snow removal mostly because it's a cost effective do it all solution. It's a 1 yard bucket but can hold about 3 yards of compacted wet snow. I do not have any long lanes. Nothing over 500 ft long. If you are doing a 1 mile road you definitely want a plow. For a driveway, I prefer a bucket because I can put the snow right where I want it. With a big bucket, you can take multiple pushes in a light snow before you dump and then dump wherever you want.

If cost were no issue, I would go with a 3 way angle v-plow as tight to the tractor as possible with an easily removable full length pipe skid. But that is many thousands compared to ~$650 for the snow bucket and I'd still need the snow bucket if the snow got too deep for the plow.

Plows that are way out front of the loader arms tend to push the tractor sideways when angled. too much leverage on those front tires given the short wheel base of the tractor and the long distance from the front wheels to the blade. If you do go with a plow, get it as close to those front wheels as possible.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #7  
I hate doing snow removal with the bucket.Only good for removing banks.I have a FEL mounted and a rear blade.I have a woods road I keep open;about 1/4 mile long.Short easy task with the plow and frustrating with the bucket.I do have the SSQA on my plow so the bucket goes on quickly if needed.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #8  
I only use my FEL mounted bucket in places where its difficult to get with my rear blade. The plain truth is - a bucket does not move any or much snow to the side and out of the way. Its just a straight forward thing and that's all. A rear blade, front blade or blower will actually move the snow to an alternate location and out of the way.

I have a mile long, straight as an arrow, gravel driveway. I angle & off-set my rear blade and go like the wind( 5-6 mph). Snow easily rolls off the rear blade and off the edge of the driveway.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #9  
Hi Everyone,
Question regarding snow removal attachments. So I am new to this as I just received my Kioti CK4010 this year:thumbsup:. I have a rear mount blower and the FEL as my set up now. I finally have the blower set up so it removes the right amount of snow for me, with out removing all the gravel on the lane well as well :) However, I seem to have a bit of a difficult time when using the FEL. I just can't seem to get the height or tilt correct all the time. I do agree the time in the seat will help but i have seen the QA plows and can't help but wonder how much better they would be compared to the bucket.

Generally speaking, a FEL is not the best tool for snow removal. Your rear mount blower is the best tool. I use a rear blower and front blade. That combo works for me but it's difficult not to plow all the gravel off the lane. There are several threads on TBN about modifications to reduce gravel removal involving skids, pipes, wheels, etc.

/ Snow removal, FEL compared to snow blade. #10  
You guys just need bigger buckets! :D

OK - little secret... I do sometimes run my 8ft hydraulic angle blade on the rear during a snow storm.... ;) but that blade cost 3x what the bucket cost