NX5510 - Fuel issues?

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #1  

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
Hi, folks,

First time I've ever encountered an issue like this... Tractor appears to not be getting fuel. I don't have a clue about how to bleed the system (owner's manual is worthless): I'm used to the old "crack injectors" way.

Started the tractor this morning and let it idle for perhaps 10 minutes as I was doing some chores. Air temperatures have been mid-to-high teens. Hooked up my trailer and headed up the road. I was starting to maneuver to unhook the trailer and the tractor died (I figure after about 20 minutes of it running). Restarted, ran for several seconds and then died. Kept repeating this, though seemingly running for shorter and shorter periods of time until it got to the point of running only long enough for the instruments to do their initial sweep and then the engine would die. I pumped on the fuel filter purge gizmo; at some point it just stayed down (not sure if this is how it should be when all is well). Looking in the worthless owner's manual there some cryptic instructions about a valve; I loosened it and tried various incantations (opening up and cranking the engine- manual mentions opening it up and something about "start"- not clear!) but no go: I even removed the valve/screw.

I've gotten error "008" a couple of times, though it's pretty random and not consistent.

Called the dealer and they figured it is fuel related. Suggested I heat up the fuel filter. I headed up a gel heating pad and wrapped it around the filter. No go.

Picked up some fuel treatment (stopped by the fuel suppliers and talked to them) and added some to the tractor's tank. Without getting the tractor to fire (now not happening) I don't think this is going to do me much good (no fuel circulation/mixing). Regarding the fuel that's in the tank, it's not a winter blend. I've run about 1/2 tank of this fuel through the tractor recently w/o any problems: and this has been with/in cold temps here. I'd just installed a water filter on my storage tank: did not, however, cycle some of the fuel (post water filter- debris filter and hose), so perhaps there's some water? So...

Pretty sure that I've now introduced air in the fuel system. How to properly purge (with confidence)? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #2  
Do you have any way of heating the tractor and fuel. Like a torpedo heater ? Or put it in a heated garage over night .
If the fuel jelled it would be a whole lot easier to get running long enough to get the treatment through the system if you can warm things up.

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues?
Vince, thanks for the reply. Right now air temps are above freezing. I suspect that gelling may have been the initial problem and that it now may not be and I've now got air introduced into the system (again, the owner's manual is useless on this subject- they say "turn the filter cock to the air side and turn the ignition key to turn the start motor" WTF? and then it says something about air being discharged through the bleeding hose- terms and things mentioned aren't identified in their picture!).

I'll note that cracking that thumb screw (and even pulling it out) did not result in any fuel coming out of it.

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #4  
I don't think you have a bleeding problem (e.g.air in fuel lines) unless you opened the fuel system. On my DK, the fuel tank is above the engine so fuel can gravity drain to fill the fuel filter. On mine, that valve at the top of the filter just lets the air out so fuel can get into the filter. I am not familiar with NX models.

More likely (IMO) you have a clogged fuel filter. When cold, summer fuel doesn't actually jell but flakes of wax form (looks cloudy) and can clog the filter. Once clogged it a fair amount of heat is needed to re-melt the wax. The fuel additive is a good idea but it needs to get to the filter/engine. If you have power available, I'd try heating the fuel filter with a hair dryer or heat gun. Warming the whole tractor (indoors or under a tarp) would probably work. You could also remove the fuel filter and warm it (indoors) or install a new filter; but either would require bleeding the fuel system (and fill any new filter with fresh fuel before installing).

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #5  
Did you look at the fuel to see if it was cloudy? Error 008 can be water in the fuel. As I stated on the My NX6010 thread, error 008 wise, Unplug the water sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter and spin it out enough to drain any water out of the fuel filter. Screw the water sensor back in and plug the sensor back into the harness. Then open up the thumb screw on the fuel filter housing and pump the hand primer until you get fuel coming out (your bleeding out the air like bleeding brakes). Tighten the thumb screw and pump the hand primer until firm. Jump in and fire up your tractor.

Kioti sells a 12v fuel heater that will heat the fuel once the engine is running.

If you're interested, I have the links of the products I use to warm my Kioti up at this link on TBN.

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #6  
Sounds like you have air in the system now, I would unplug the water sensor on the bottom of the filter and slowly unscrew the filter if you do this slow and easy it can be done without spilling fuel if the filter is full. This will let you see if the filter is full or even have fuel in it, if it has fuel in it I'd pour it out into a glass jar and see if any water appears to be in it. You can then either try a new filter, or fill yours back up completely till fuel is just about running over the edges and carefully screw it back on, plug the sensor back in and either try and start it or open the bleed screw a few turns and pump the primer button till fuel squirts out of the bleed screw. What the manual is trying to tell you to do is open bleed screw and crank the engine over till fuel stares to squirt from bleeder, the low pressure lift pump is built onto the back of the high pressure pump, so as the engine spins it turns both the high and low pressure lift pump. The 008 code is no signal from water in fuel sensor, I've had it a couple of times but never had a no start due to it, just had to unplug and rep lug in the sensor.

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #7  
Sounds like you have air in the system now, I would unplug the water sensor on the bottom of the filter and slowly unscrew the filter if you do this slow and easy it can be done without spilling fuel if the filter is full. This will let you see if the filter is full or even have fuel in it, if it has fuel in it I'd pour it out into a glass jar and see if any water appears to be in it. You can then either try a new filter, or fill yours back up completely till fuel is just about running over the edges and carefully screw it back on, plug the sensor back in and either try and start it or open the bleed screw a few turns and pump the primer button till fuel squirts out of the bleed screw. What the manual is trying to tell you to do is open bleed screw and crank the engine over till fuel stares to squirt from bleeder, the low pressure lift pump is built onto the back of the high pressure pump, so as the engine spins it turns both the high and low pressure lift pump. The 008 code is no signal from water in fuel sensor, I've had it a couple of times but never had a no start due to it, just had to unplug and rep lug in the sensor.

FWIW, I was running at 2000 rpm with my brush cutter and my tractor died and flashed an Error 008 this summer. Unscrewed the water sensor to drain out the water, primed the system and off I went.

/ NX5510 - Fuel issues? #9  
   / NX5510 - Fuel issues? #10  
The fuel treatment isn't in the filter etc as it was just mixed in the tank. I think you could spin off the filter/filters (not sure on that model) and get an idea about the condition of the fuel fairly quickly.

The fact that you state the priming pump isn't returning indicates an issue that would need to be fixed before it's going to run.