CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
Hey everyone, I just returned from the dealer test driving a new CK 3510 with factory cab. Very nice tractor, but I had a question about it. It was -7 Fahrenheit last night which is pretty cold. Anyways upon first starting the tractor, there was a terrible whining noise coming from what I think is the hydraulic system. It was very loud and annoying. It sound like the hydraulic system had no fluid in it at all. I understand that the fluid is a lot thicker in the cold but I'm not sure the noise shoulda been that loud. I currently own a ck35 hst and the noise is nowhere near that noise the CK 3510 made. Is this normal for this tractor in the cold? Thanks

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold #2  
Mine whined more when new, and considerably less when I changed to synthetic at the first oil change. I started mine when it was 9 degrees here with no problems...and very little whine.

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold #3  
A hydraulic hose touching the cab can make a racket.
What type/ brand of synthetic did you change too?

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold #4  
Was it at idle or did it get revved up? That noise is cavitation, with thick oil and being cold the pump cannot get enough oil so it cavitates. As long as it is not placed under a load [pressurized by working the hydraulics] no damage is usually done. The oil in the machine could be too thick for cold temps. When it is below zero mine will make noise like this, so I just give it more warm up time at just above idle. CJ

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold #5  
The excess noise is common across brands when new. Adding to that is the cold temps. One trick to aid cold starting is to keep the clutch in when starting. And letting the clutch out can help move and warm fluid.
The factory hydraulic fluid is supposed to be changed at the first 50 hours (typically). As gears and other metal parts mesh things will quiet down. And changing to a high quality fluid designed for your climate should also help- Who knows what type/viscosity of break in fluid and or additives the factory adds.

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold
Thanks for all the info. It was at idle and when I raised the RPM's the noise would get progressively louder. I know that it was on the cold side, but my CK35 never did that. Maybe the dealer put a different thickness of fluid.

/ CK3510 loud hydraulic noise when cold #7  
A hydraulic hose touching the cab can make a racket.
What type/ brand of synthetic did you change too?

Changed to Shell Spirax S4 TXM at my 50 hour first oil change.