Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash

/ Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
The other morning it was 10 degrees out up in the NE. Up until now I haven't had any issues starting my tractor when it is cold. This time however it was blowing clouds of blue smoke. My wife even said something about smoking out the neighborhood. I had the throttle set at 1200 rpm's. After 3 minutes of smoking away like crazy I cranked the throttle up to 2K. The smoke started to clear up. After another minute I wide opened the throttle. The smoke finally cleared up and stayed that way for the next 3 hours that I used my tractor chipping brush and moving wood around. Yesterday is was 14 degrees out and I had no issues with the tractor smoking. My fuel comes from a gas station that has lots of trucks in it buying diesel. I don't think this is a bad fuel issue. I also noticed in the owners manual that it says "Do not use any type of engine oil additive or fuel additive". I know if you do not use a fuel additive that the fuel will gel in the filter. I had that happen to me a month ago on another very cold morning. I removed the filter, drained the old fuel out and poured it half full of Power Service 911. I shook it up real good, drained that out and refilled it with diesel. The tractor fired right up and has been fine ever since. I do use Power Service anti-gel in my tractor since the fuel filter gelled up. This morning it was 20 degrees out when I fired up my tractor to do a smoke test on it. There was very little "grey" smoke to speak of and it cleared up within a minute of running the tractor. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this issue when it was really cold out?

Last edited:
   / Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash
Just took longer for the engine to warm up.

This is my second diesel tractor that I have owned since 2003 and never had one do anything like this cloud making machine before. When I say smoking I should have said belching. It was as bad as the other guy that posted about his tractor belching smoke back in 2014 where his garage or barn was smoked out.

/ Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash #4  
This is my second diesel tractor that I have owned since 2003 and never had one do anything like this cloud making machine before. When I say smoking I should have said belching. It was as bad as the other guy that posted about his tractor belching smoke back in 2014 where his garage or barn was smoked out.
Diesels need higher RPM to warm up. If you don't use long enough glow plug cycles, or it's very cold in general, you can just barely get it started. It stumbles and coughs since its still cold, can't get enough heat built up due to it stumbling, and continues that loop longer than normal. I've had mine do that on occasion. But if I warm it longer with the glow plugs or use the block heater, it revs right along and the exhaust cleans up in seconds.

Diesels need higher RPM to warm up. If you don't use long enough glow plug cycles, or it's very cold in general, you can just barely get it started. It stumbles and coughs since its still cold, can't get enough heat built up due to it stumbling, and continues that loop longer than normal. I've had mine do that on occasion. But if I warm it longer with the glow plugs or use the block heater, it revs right along and the exhaust cleans up in seconds.

Maybe we will get one more cold single digit day so I can try this again to see what happens. Heck, even my old 97 Cub Cadet never smoked like this in the dead of Winter.

/ Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash #6  
2004 CK30hst and always use a fuel additive for anti-jelling. Below 20'F, I run the glow plugs for two cycles. At start up, you may have had a cylinder or two not fire and push the raw fuel into the muffler. It will then burn off blue as the engine and exhaust warms up.

/ Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash #7  
How was the idle? Was everything smooth as usual, or was it a bit rough sounding/feeling ?

How was the idle? Was everything smooth as usual, or was it a bit rough sounding/feeling ?

The tractor es skipping at an idle. At 1600 rpm's it did not appear to be skipping but was smoking like crazy. I'm hoping for one more really cold day. I may just put a block heater in it to eliminate this problem.

/ Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash #9  
It sounds to me, that fuel injector is sticking open causing an over fueling issue causing the smoke. After it gelled up, did you replace the fuel filter? It may be worth a new filter if you reused the old one after it gelled.

/ Cold Start Blue Smoke rehash #10  
So - I always thought blue smoke - was oil being burnt and black smoke - was fuel ?