Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #1  

RinconVTR

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 Hydro
It only took 2 hours running the new tractor and a part fell off. I believe branch caught the safety pin and it fell right out.

This shackle is attached to the rear of the tractor and holds the lower arm strut. (The ones that keep the arms from swinging side to side...do they have a name?)

I am seeing this as a 10mm or 3/8" off the shelf D shackle while another believes we must have the exact OEM replacement, if for no other reason that because he likes the look and how it matches the other part. (I wish I was joking.)

Opinions?

IMG_20170312_093807977_zpsicfj65l8.jpg

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #2  
I think you can replace that with an off the shelf shackle. If you want it to look the same you may need to grind the off the shelf flat spot a little deeper. I safety wire all my spring clips with zip ties. 99 out of 100 times if a branch or something pulls the pin out it still hangs on the zip tie.

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #3  
Don't feel bad, you're not the first to post here for having that same thing happen. Cable tie or mechanic's wire or similar can stop it from happening in future.

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #4  
It is pretty rare to find a safety shackle in any but a marine supply store.

eBay, of coarse, excels in offering items in limited demand locally, to a national audience.

I use these security shackles with my Ratchet Rake harness: 3/8" SHACKLE, CLEVIS, SAFETY PIN PEERLESS 1 TON WWL | eBay The clevis pin and nut under the Cotter Pin are threaded; belt AND suspenders~~~~
I suppose you could apply blue (low strength) Loctite thread-locker too~~~~~

Multiple sizes offered.

Shipping $5.99 on one; 50 cents each on second and up.

Last edited:
   / Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #5  
Been there done that!--only wish it had been my shackle but was the turnbuckle barrel instead.

What I now do is safety wire all the shackle pins and my turnbuckles as the clips are so easily snagged.

I had no choice but to purchase a complete 3 point 'kit' as just the turnbuckle for my Mitsubishi cost more than a kit.
Being no longer produced I was at the mercy of the salvage yards.
Practical over ruled authenticity LOL.

I'm not really cheap but don't like being taken.

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #6  
It is pretty rare to find a safety shackle in any but a marine supply store.

eBay, of coarse, excels in offering items in limited demand locally, to a national audience.

I use these security shackles with my Ratchet Rake harness: 3/8" SHACKLE, CLEVIS, SAFETY PIN PEERLESS 1 TON WWL | eBay The clevis pin and nut under the Cotter Pin are threaded; belt AND suspenders~~~~
I suppose you could apply blue (low strength) Loctite too~~~~~

Multiple sizes offered.

I'd vote for this solution as well, replace both if your vision is offended.
Those shackles (above) are probably OSEA rated as well and possibly superior to the tractor OEM.
If the fit is not 'dead on' (metric vs SAE) don't sweat it as once taunt it won't matter, besides over time the original ones would have gotten sloppy.

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #8  
I replace spring clips with cotter pins they never get pressed or pulled out and a very cheap fix and better than replacing entire parts.

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut
Thanks guys.

I did buy some off the shelf stainless D shackles rated for 1500lbs that I have no doubt will work fine.

Regarding pins, the ironic thing is I replaced what I could with lync pins before any work was done, but I could not find any smaller than 3/16". So the clips remained.

I like the idea of using cotter pins in place of the smaller clips. I dont see myself removing those strut/support arms much, if at all, so this will work.

/ Lost a shackle from lower arm support strut #10  
I use cotter pins in those areas where I will never or seldom need to remove the part. Otherwise, I use nylon zip ties for the spring clips. One of these days I might find some of the spring clips I've evenly spread over my property.............