Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer

/ Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer #1  

comancheflight

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HC
I just purchased a new 22' tilt bed trailer - 16' tilt and 6' stationary. Tested it by driving my NX4510 with loader and backhoe on it and it works beautifully. .

I have searched all over the net to see about mounting a winch on it.
1.) I could just mount it on the tilt part and would be straight forward.
2.) It would be nice to mount it near the tongue but I've been trying to think of a way to do this. I have seen only one picture where they used an I beam to raise the winch enough to clear the tilt bed.
I did read somewhere it was suggested a roller on the tilt but when pulling a load that would just bring the tilt back down before even starting to pull the load unless you lock the bed. Anyone done this or have ideas (good ideas) and pictures would be appreciated.
(I will have battery on the trailer - at least at this point that's what I'm thinking)

/ Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer #2  
I have searched all over the net to see about mounting a winch on it.

All you need to do is this:

search.jpg

And get this: Search Results | Compact tractor forums, news, reviews, information.

But maybe you will get some good ideas on this thread. :thumbsup:

/ Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer
I'm guessing you didn't read my post....jezz
I have searched the net AND tbn forums.
Their is nothing that I have found on mounting a winch on a tilt bed WITH a stationary platform.

/ Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer #5  
Yep, read it. That is why I said:

But maybe you will get some good ideas on this thread.

Read the threads...before I posted....hence the post.
Looking for ideas or pics from those who have done it or seen it done.

/ Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer #7  
I found a good picture for us to draw on at Davis Trailer World and Country Mall - York, New York.

Davis-Trailer-Corn-Pro-Heavy-Tilt-Trailer.jpg

Here is what I would do. Add a vertical post with a pulley on top to get the winch cable up (black lines.) And for heavy pulls, a cable or chain brace from the post top to the hitch (red line.)

Davis-Trailer-Corn-Pro-Heavy-Tilt-Trailer-winch.jpg

Or you could put the winch on the post, like a boat trailer does.

$_86.JPG

scissortrailer3.jpg
RV Repair Shop | Milwaukee Area RV Service | Greater Chicago RV Repair | Trailer Repair | Hitch Installation | LP Gas Refill | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin

The advantage of the low winch and the post is better protection of the winch, and an easy way to have a high pull and a low pull.

Bruce

I like the second picture on the pedistal. That is the only way I can figure doing it...but my spare tire is in the way. I may see about offsetting it to the side where it is best for pulling anyway. Or I still may look at mounting it on the tilt bed.

/ Winch for 22' (16' tilt - 6' stationary) trailer #9  
What about putting some sort of temporary rounded (pipe?*) guide over the forward edge of the tilt part of the deck?

Cut a section of pipe, drill a couple holes on the ends to secure to the front edge of the movable deck (some sort of quick pins or such). If needed, and the pipe dia isn't too great, you should be able to move/drive over that pipe.

I addressed the use of a roller in my first post. You can't do that. If the winch is on the stationary platform and the cable goes over the tilt bed, roller or pipe, then attaches to a load when it pulls it is going to pull the bed down before the load even begins to move.

After looking today I'm probably just going to mount the winch on the tilt bed and make it easily removable because I would have to mount the winch on the tongue too high to be acceptable...I think - jury is still out.