Leaking tires

/ Leaking tires #1  

ColdRider

Bronze Member
Tractor
1985 B7200 Hst/ fel(sold) 2011 L3800 Hst/ fel
I'm really tired of messing with the front r4 tires on my L3800 HST. I have slow leaks in both and have tried rim sealer as that's where they are leaking. One has leaked since I rolled it off the rim when almost new, I've sealed it several times. Works ok for a while and starts again. Now the other is doing it too. I think I'll put tubes in. What valve stem do I need? 27-8.50-15 r4. They have threaded stems in now. I have searched and cannot find which tube is correct. Someone here knows, I'm sure!! Thanks in advance.

/ Leaking tires #2  
I know your frustration ColdRider. My left front tire has slowly leaked air for some time now so I always take the air hose to it while it is warming up.

/ Leaking tires #3  
Same here. Where would I bring this? I tried a regular tire place, but the sidewalls on the tires were too stiff for their machine.

Also, what is the correct pressure for R4s (front)? Owners manual for my LK3054 only mentions R1s.

/ Leaking tires #4  
Same here. Where would I bring this? I tried a regular tire place, but the sidewalls on the tires were too stiff for their machine.

Also, what is the correct pressure for R4s (front)? Owners manual for my LK3054 only mentions R1s.

It should say somewhere on the tire what the max PSI is for the tire. At least in my case with most every tire, be it lawn mower, baby stroller, tractor, truck, or anything. As far as what is correct, it really is up to so long as you dont go above max, and its not flat.

/ Leaking tires #5  
I'm not sure what you mean when you "sealed it several times" but a real tire place will swab down the bead and rim with some kind of lube to remove any grit and to achieve a good seal. I rolled a front tire off the rim on my DK45s when the valve stem failed. The tire was too stiff for me to reseat myself (tried many times and ways). I finally went to several tire shops until I found one with a "Cheetah bead seater" (Google it). When they got a few spare minutes they reseated it easy-peasy and I haven't had a problem since. Unless the tire has become porous, the trick must be a clean bead and rim plus the right lube. The wheel/tire from my DK must have been 100 lb but I was able to wrestle it into the back of the pickup, solo. An inner tube should work but I don't know what size. Slime should work but it's really messy if you ever open the tire again. So I would recommend calling tire places (maybe one that does truck or ag tires) to find one with a Cheetah (most won't have one).

/ Leaking tires
I took it to a tire place and they did they swab and applied a black sticky mess that was supposed to seal the bead area, twice. Still leaks around the rim. Rim is clean and not rusted. Tire bead is undamaged and looks fine. It leaks 5-7 lbs a day and flat in a week. I will go with a tube if I can find which valve I need. I can usually get a tire seated somehow. If all else fails, a couple shots of starter fluid and a long match will blow that bird right on. I didn't know I posted this here, I was trying for the Kubota threads. Oh well. Thanks.

/ Leaking tires #7  
Have you checked to see if you have a cracked rim? if the rim is cracked you can seal it all day but it wont help.