DK40SE Whines on Key turn

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn #1  

tabacman

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
OK so when I hit the key to start - I get a really loud whine that sounds like it is centered right at the firewall. Unfortunately it happened right when I had to leave town so I haven't had a chance to check it out for more than 3 minutes.
I have never heard of a relay or electrical controller whining like a vacuum cleaner - so does anyone have any idea what would be doing that as a place for me to start (when I get back)?
I can say that there is no relay or solenoid clicks at all - key goes through all the positions until crank with no noise at all. I get no preheat coil indicator light on the instrument panel. In fact the display only shows one red lamp - not sure what the symbol is - I would have to check again - but that is less than normal for sure. I normally see the gear indicator and another lamp on during start.
I didn't think there was a pump in the fuel tank - but it sure sounds like a hoover coming right from the tank.
My DK is a 2007 - had the injection pump problem fixed and the fall out from that repaired a year or two ago and no problems at all since.

Anyone have this wonderful gremlin visit them before?
Unfortunately I'm on the road for my day job for two weeks so I can't really do anything for a bit - but if you guys have heard of this I might be able to have my son do some tinkering and troubleshooting.

As always - thanks!

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn #2  
Not sure about no normal lights on the dash but could the whine be the starter spinning and the bendix isn't knicking in to engage the starter gear with the flywheel? Just a thought and starters can whine with no load.

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn #3  
Could it be the starter motor spinning but not engaging the flywheel?

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn
OK to square the circle on this for anyone that has similar...
It was in fact the center relay on the right hand side of the firewall - the preheat or starter relay - can't remember which.
When isolating it I unplugged it from the connector and the entire guts of the relay pulled out instead of the harness connector... so replacement not optional for me.
I will attach pictures as soon as I can get them off the phone...
Replaced it and the main fuse (battery reinstall mishap) and everything is back in the clear.
The sound is like a blender with the motor exposed... just a terrible racket. At one point I could put my hand on it and feel it vibrating as it whined.
This relay prevented the starter motor from even getting power - so it definitely wasn't the starter making the noise.
I don't wish this on anyone - but there it is if you ever hear it.
Thanks for the suggestions.

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn
IMG_20170703_113505.jpg

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn #6  
What is it with these DK Relays?

/ DK40SE Whines on Key turn #7  
That relay is used in a lot of brands. Looks like they run $15 - $25 at most parts suppliers.