Backhoe choice

/ Backhoe choice #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
I have an opportunity to buy a 2004 Terramite T7 backhoe in pretty good shape for $9000.
I can buy a brand new woods BH-90x with the subframe hoses etc.for my dk40 for about $9500.
What would you guys do?

/ Backhoe choice #2  
I would go with new. I have a Woods BH-70 on my CK-27 and really like it. I use it for all sorts of things. Now I'm grabbing logs and cutting them up for firewood. No more bending over for this Geezer. :)

/ Backhoe choice
It's tough to get a good side by side comparison of the two hoe capabilities. Would be nice to have a dedicated machine for a backhoe and the kioti for other easy on-off rear implements. The terramite has an inferior loader to the kioti, but does the job.

/ Backhoe choice #4  
you have the old ford 8n. with min 3pt hitch.
you have the old ford TLB with some power already
then the kioti DK40 with FEL.

the old ford TLB has 180 degree seat to work the backhoe. nice and fast going along when speaking backhoe. not speaking excavator.

if you were speaking a mini ex, or larger excavator. ok. but your talking something you already have in bigger HP and enough pressure to go along with it. seems like another TLB that is smaller is going to do what for you? if it was just for a smaller trenching machine with trenching bucket to fit in tight spaces... i might bite. but your choices given are still larger size backhoes and the tractor/s choosen are mid size to larger units as well.

using that 9,000 on a mini ex, or getting a grappler for 4500 or dk40. or a thumb for 4500. or use the cash to get the needed repairs if that is it. , or getting TNT for the DK40. or some other implements for the DK40 to make other general duties easier and faster.

/ Backhoe choice
I love that old 4500. Problem is it is just old and worn out. Can't get parts for it anymore. If you can find parts they will cost an arm and a leg. I'm sick and tired of hoses blowing and hydraulic oil spilling all over. Tires have gotten dangerous and the pins and bushings are very sloppy. I hate to put $$ into it.
Although most of my big work around here is done, the terramite will outdig and outpower a kioti hoe attachment and it's beefier. For its small size the terramite is a dedicated backhoe. The kioti is a tractor with an add-on hoe attachment.
The 8n although still runs has been demoted to a lawn ornamint by the kioti.
The terrramite is built in America, although it has a Kubota diesel engine. All the parts are readily available and has great tech support. More than I can say for the Kioti.
Lots to consider.