Oil & Fuel New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT!

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #1  

neopheous

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010
Just purchased a new CK4010 and I now have 10 hrs on it and both the transmission and front axle dipsticks are showing no oil on them or just barely on the bottom.....

Background.... I'm pretty **** about fluids and fluid levels, so after it was delivered I checked trans, front axle and oil levels. All right where they needed to be.

Tooled around the house do a few odds and ends over the next couple of days and put maybe an hr or a little more on it. Used the grapple to take down and old tree on the yard and then hauled it to a burn pile, etc.

So then with about 2 hrs on the tractor I disconnect the backhoe, and hook up the bush hog. Haul the tractor to some other property I have and began mowing and using the grapple quite a bit as it is mostly wooded.

All goes well and I load it up and bring it back home. So... getting ready to put a hose saver spring kit on it this am and a couple other things and being a little OCD and **** about the fluids i check them again. Neither the trans or front axle show on the stick. So I grab a tie wrap and place it in both holes and check it against the dipsticks and both were just below the dipsticks.

Is this NORMAL? Like possibly break-in? The engine oil was fine.... so now do I just add hydraulic fluid to both, or do I drain the front axle and go ahead and put in a sae 80-90 weight?

Oh, and yes I went all over the tractor, top and bottom, and seen no sign of leaked oil.

Thx!

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT!
Don't know how to edit my post above from my phone it wanted to add that I checked the fluids before hauling it to other property and they were still right where they should have been.

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #3  
Would it be that the missing trans. oil is in your hoe that you took off?

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #4  
Top off both and you should be fine. Your attachments probably have some of the fluid in the cylinders from getting full use the first times. When I bought my rear blade, the dealer was nice enough to cycle the new cylinder to fill with new clean fluid before delivery so it didn't lower my tractor's fluid level.
The front axle can 'lose' some fluid to the final gears as it settles to the correct levels. Top off with the recommended fluid (probably hydro).

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #5  
Yeah, probably hoe ate a bunch of fluid. To verify why not just call your dealer to express concern. He should be able to put you at ease with explanation..

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #6  
If the levels are just below the sticks you are fine. Any new tractors or implements will use a bit getting out airpockets in cylinders and housings.

Think of it this way the tractor is designed to travel on all types of angles and surfaces. When you are traveling on a side hill or up down a steep incline the fluid level is no where near your dip sticks and the tractor is fine it is designed for that!

Ok. Thanks for the reassurance. I hope the explanations above are correct. Thanks!

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #8  
As mentioned, the bh probably had some air pockest that filled. It happened to mine. I had bought the bh later and did my own install. The front axle should have the hydraulic transmission fluid in it from the factory. This works good in very cold climates. At service time, I changed to 80W-90 gear lube. Both are acceptable by Kioti. After a complete axle drain, you'll fill to the proper mark and after driving it around for a few minutes, the oil level will be low. Air pockets in each end of the axle will bleed out. Top off and you should be good until the next change.

Ok sounds good. I actually was almost positive I'd checked the fluid levels after disconnecting the BH but perhaps I didn't... my memory is definitely not what it used to be. I appreciate all the good feedback/info.

/ New Tractor - Little concerned, ok a LOT! #10  
A couple of things. Yes, the front axle has air pockets, and will always need topping off after filling.

As for checking the main hydraulic fluid, You need to be on level surface, front to back and side to side.. All implements need to be down. so 3pt down and FEL down level on the ground. Check cold. Now if the level is not where it needs to be, add a little, check again, add if needed. DONT overfill. It is easier to put it in than take it out.