Snow plow or blower?

/ Snow plow or blower? #1  

hillwood

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010HST
I need to get something to move snow with this winter. I have read many threads on the subject and I am leaning towards the three point blower and a snow bucket on the loader. I have 1500ft of gravel driveway. I have also considered a plow on the loader.
Just wanted to know what your personal experience is with the subject.

/ Snow plow or blower? #2  
I have a mile long gravel driveway. When I had a smaller tractor - Ford 1700 4WD - 28 hp - I needed a 3-point blower to clear the berms that would form. Normally I use a rear blade. This works great but the smaller tractor could not push back the berms that would form. Hence, the PTO blower.

Now I have the larger Kubota M6040 and this with my Rhino 950 rear blade easily push the berms back.

The blower worked great - its slow and means a lot of driving in reverse and will lead to a sore neck & sore shoulders.

/ Snow plow or blower?
Thanks, I am considering a rear blade also.

/ Snow plow or blower? #4  
I like my all angle plow. I can use the plow to push snow up a bank wicked high. I wouldn't want a blower; would hate to work backwards, to me it makes no sense; JMHO. I can see forward to what I'm plowing, can angle and lift the plow as needed, and with the use of my rear tire chains can work on my very steep driveway of gravel and large stone ditches and curves, even when icy, without destroying the surrounding landscaping. See my signature for brand/model of plow and chains.

/ Snow plow or blower? #5  
I have both. I made a QA power angle plow from an old truck plow and bought a used double auger 3 pt. snowblower. The plow makes quick work of moving snow. I use the blower later in the season to blow the banks back. I also have chains if needed.

/ Snow plow or blower? #6  
With a road that long a blower is going to be very slow compared to plowing. If you only have a tractor and not a plow truck I think George 2615 has a good combination. If you do get a heavy snow fall and need to blow or widen the banks back , no problem. Blowers very handy to keep parking areas and such from building in and loosing space. For me, an hour or so using a rear mount blower is not to bad but wouldn't want to use one all day. With out a cab, using a blower can be challenging depending on the direction of the wind and how strong it's blowing. By also having a front blade you can use it if necessary and leave the blowing for another day.
Al

/ Snow plow or blower? #7  
Wouldn't snowblower be better for gravel driveway than a blade? I would think a blade would move gravel with it...more than snowblower.

/ Snow plow or blower? #8  
If you have a gravel drive, get shoes with whatever you use. A rear blade being used the wrong direction will dig less into soft ground too.

/ Snow plow or blower? #9  
My big 'ol Rhino rear blade can make quick & unwelcome work of the driveway when plowing snow. If I really need to plow snow and the driveway isn't frozen hard yet, I reverse the blade. The reversed blade will plow the snow and not the gravel. If the driveway is rock hard I can use the blade in its normal configuration.

Right now I'm considering shoes for the rear blade. What I want and what I can find are two completely different things. I'm pretty sure if I get anything it will have to be fabricated.

/ Snow plow or blower? #10  
You can get a split pipe and put it on most blades, too. Lot of metal shops either have them in stock for commercial trucks or can make you one. 2" schedule 80 split pipe costs about $90 up here in Michigan. A rear blower can usually be tilted back some to keep the cutting edge from digging in by shortening the top link. You have to make sure you do not try to operate the PTO shaft at more than 15 degrees if you can help it [ under load ]. I just bought a tractor with a 78" front blower and put a split pipe on it, works great. With gravel, you have to kind of let a little base build up before you go blasting down the thing trying to clear snow. Little common sense saves a lot of expensive stone.... :) As far as plowing or blowing, depends. If you don't get a lot of snow and/or have lots of space to push it, plowing is a lot faster and maybe more fun. Blowing is slower, but like the turtle, usually wins with deep snow.... With plowing you usually have big piles right next to your drive in the spring, usually deeper frost, and more of a muddy mess in general. My yard generally is frost free just a few feet from my drive, and don't have as much of a water/frost problem in the Spring.