Delivery day finally!

/ Delivery day finally! #1  

ccdck20hst

Silver Member
Tractor
1989 Cub Cadet hydro 13/20, 2004, Kioti CK20HST TLB
Gentleman, I spent countless hours reading the posts under Kioti over the winter. In March I became interested in the CK20HST TLB. All of the posts on this machine helped me get to understand various things about the machine. Drove one in April- without the backhoe. I checked prices at four dealers, one in Connecticut, one in New York, one in New Hampshire and one in the midwest. The New York dealer came in with the best price on HST/TLB with remote hydraulics and with R4s. (Yes the Conn. Sales tax will be paid by the dealer). Long story short after bird dogging the order for more than one month, what with the backhoe shortage/delays it finally came today. Got in about an hour an a half of time on it today. I think I am going to get addicted. This is my first "real" tractor and I have no experience with a backhoe or a loader - but not for long. So, thanks to all you posters for the valuable insight I got from reading all the posts on the CK20 and tractor use in general. I will continue to read and practice since I have a lot to learn. Perhaps in the next week or so I will post the photos I took as it was being assembled and later as it was delivered today.

/ Delivery day finally! #2  
Congratulations. Welcome to the pack and TBN /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ Delivery day finally! #3  
Congratulations and I hope we CK20 owners were helpful. One thing I want to caution you about: Don't get too exuberant and forget that you need to follow the breakin period so that your tractor will have a longer, better life. Just try not to do much at higher RPM, don't over-do things, as best you can, for the first 50 hours. I know, I know, you want to get going, but believe me, it's best. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you ever have any questions regarding the CK, just ask here or private message. John

/ Delivery day finally!
Thanks GerardC and KiotiJohn for the welcome posts. You are right about not over doing things for the first fifty hours. I am going to keep the RPM's down and take it slow for the sake of the tractor and so I can learn basic operating skills. I am very pleased with the tractor! It runs with minimal noise and has the feel of a well built machine. Yesterday I cleaned out some planting beds and tested the BH. Got a list of projects for the tractor, from trench digging for drainage pipe to moving a stone wall (will not try to move the chair sized stones). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifCharlie

/ Delivery day finally! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yesterday I cleaned out some planting beds and tested the BH. )</font>
Hey Charlie. As I read this I was wondering at what RPM you're running for using the BH? I've found I get about the most benefit possible at around 1800. I don't see a substantial increase in ability of the BH at anything higher, and that will also keep the hours down over running faster. One thing about using the HST in general is that the RPM is always up for operating unlike using a foot throttle where the RPM is not constant. I think we get a few more hours registered because of that. Not a big deal, but it does make a difference. I don't know if you realize that the hours are based on RPM, not physical time so the faster you run the tractor, the more hours you'll register. Most of the time, except for running the PTO at 540, it's not necessary to run at high RPM. I think I read that some other CK owners keep it around 2000-2200 for general purposes. Please forgive me if you already are aware of all of this, I just got to thinking that you may not. John

/ Delivery day finally!
Thanks, those are good points about the measurement of hours and operating RPM. The fact is I have a lot to learn. It occurred to me yesterday that as I learn how to use the BH controls each time I use the machine I should set the rpm at one speed - to help me learn the controls at a set speed. I settled on 1500 rpm but now I will consider 1800. Also I will make a note of the other rpm setting for general use. My stabilizer arms have "feet" that are flat and have predrilled holes. Perhaps the holes are just to let mud pass through? Think I remember reading a post about shoes, are there "grouser shoes" for the feet of the stabilizer from Kioti? If not are people putting aftermarket shoes on to help the tractor stay in place when the BH is in use? I noticed a little sliding when I used the BH and I wonder if shoes with "teeth" would have stopped this. Charlie

/ Delivery day finally! #7  
I find I do not need much in the way of RPM to run the BH. I can hear the engine slow slightly sometimes, but I am usually limited by the releif valve, not the engine power. Of course I'm not using the tractor hydraulics either, so that might change things.

Also, is the hour meter dependent on RPM?. I thought it just accumulated hours the engine was running!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Delivery day finally! #8  
You'll probably find that there are a few different options for the stabilizers. I've seen ones with teeth,or grousers as you say for biting into the ground,also rubber ones for use on grass and blacktop. Not sure if they are offered by Kioti or not though.

/ Delivery day finally! #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My stabilizer arms have "feet" that are flat and have predrilled holes. )</font>
Contact your dealer because you should have gotten dirt pads for your stabilizers. They are on backorder. I was fortunate enough that after having received my BH without the pads, a wonderful lady in customer service was able to locate ONE pair and get them to me. However, I have no idea how long before they will be available for others. Your dealer should have noticed they were not on the BH and let you know that they will need to install them later.
TO20Chris. As for the RPM/Hour meter, I can't think of the name of the process, but the hours are not physical/clock time. It's based, as are airplanes, on the RPM of the machine. Lower RPM results in lower hours. Take a stop watch and time it at different RPM and you'll see the difference. John