CK 35 HST Frustration

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
So I just had a new transmission installed under warranty about 50 hours ago. Today I went and used the tractor to complete some chores around the house. I parked the tractor on a slight decline (with the park brake on) and got off of the tractor to place a few things in the bucket. I got back on, took the park brake off and pressed the hst pedal to proceed backwards. Once I pressed the pedal, the tractor barely budged and the range selector moved from medium range to neutral. I talked to my dealer about it and he is thinking that the tractor might not have been all the way in the medium range. I explained to him that it has been in that range since the new trans which is over 50 hours. So I'm just trying to get any advice on this. Thanks for the help.

Joe

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #2  
On my CK30, the range shift has always been balky. That's a feature of most tractors,
based on my experience.

It does sound like your tractor's shifter was not fully engaged. Could you have bumped
the shifter when getting on/off the tractor?

My range shifter, which is the same as yours, is in the way of my left leg when it is in
Low, and a bit when it is in Med. I have been meaning to shorten its length. It is
also not aligned precisely on the marks when it is fully engaged.

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #3  
My CK30hst is like dfkrug's. Need to make sure it's fully engaged in a particular range and I've also bumped it enough getting off the tractor that it did pop out of gear under load. Not to say it's the same for yours, but a new hst trans shouldn't have anything to do with the gear range selector or that little gear/range box itself.

/ CK 35 HST Frustration
Thanks for the replies. I will continue to monitor. Anything is possible at this point. I don't think that I bumped the range selector, but I guess it could of happened.

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #5  
I can't speak to how the CK series range selector is positioned- I have a DK series, and FWIW, I bump it out of range more frequently than I'd like.:confused3:
Have you been checking your HST fluid level regularly since the new trans was installed? Not saying that has anything to do with what you say happened, just a reminder to do so to monitor it's performance....:thumbsup:
Curious why you had a new trans installed - at what hours and what were the symptoms on the old one?

Thanks,

CM

/ CK 35 HST Frustration
I did check the HST fluid which was fine. Coyote machine, I had a new transmission installed due to it popping out of range along with the HST pedal sticking. The HST pedal is working great now. The old transmission started popping out of gear around 75 hours. The HST pedal was sticking since almost day one and got progressively worse. It may be that it was not quite in the range as others have said. I will continue to monitor.

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #7  
I have never had my range selector pop out of gear but it has always been a bit fussy about going into M. Once in it stays but I sometimes need to stop or go beyond the M setting and come back a couple of times to get it to engage M. L and H are no issue.

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #8  
Same as IT stated on mine. I find if I tap one pedal, F or R, that sometimes aligns the gremlins and then I can more easily get her to go to M from neutral on either side of M. Doesn't happen too often, and if I'm on a hill I can also let it roll a few feet and then a 'gear' will engage more easily, IF it was sticking before.
So, tap a directional pedal, shift to 'gear' of choice...

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #9  
Keep in mine the 3 range transmission is nothing more than an old style non synchronized "coffee grinder" 3 speed mechanical transmission whose input shaft is hooked to the hydrostats hydraulic motor. As others have said sometimes you have to "blip" one or the other of the hydro pedals to make the hydraulic motor shaft turn a bit so the gears will line up as you move the lever thru the shift gate.

/ CK 35 HST Frustration #10  
I have the Bobcat CT235 - twin of yours. Be sure to clean and lube the selector linkage - that should help. I have had the same issue - not being fully in gear, but after cleaning it solves the problem.