Driving uphill

/ Driving uphill #1  

stcroix

Tractor
Kioti CK 3510 HST
New tractor owner and newbie question...

I have a ck3510 hst with only 3 hours on it, and in 4wd on medium I lose RPM on some steeper hills and the tractor is unable to go up the hill. I move to low and it has no problems going up the hill. I know typically Ill be on low when doing work but I wanted to see what it could do on medium.

Is this rpm loss normal on medium or should i be concerned about the trouble its having on medium? This is while towing a bush hog. Thanks for any info.

/ Driving uphill #2  
Sounds totally normal to me.
That's a "35hp" tractor, right? How much to the wheels? Pushing something up a hill that's twice as heavy as your car, don't forget.

/ Driving uphill #3  
Also, the hydro pedal is not like a gas pedal in a car. Pushing it more is like shifting to a higher gear, more speed (on flat ground) but with less torque (climbing power).
You should let up on the pedal when going up a hill, think of this as like shifting to a lower gear (Slower speed but more torque).

/ Driving uphill
Yeah its 35 hp. Here is info on it.

Also, the hydro pedal is not like a gas pedal in a car. Pushing it more is like shifting to a higher gear, more speed (on flat ground) but with less torque (climbing power).

Yeah, on medium on the hill I let up on the pedal as much as I could but it still lost too much RPM to make it up. Also tried increasing throttle but it still had issues. Then I switch to low gear and it goes up the hill just fine. Just wasn't sure if it was normal for a tractor to struggle getting up a steeper hill on medium with light pressure on the pedal.

/ Driving uphill #5  
What is the rpm that you are operating at?
With the hst, I would operate at 1800 rpm minimum while driving around. I was told by my dealer to at least run the engine at 1500 rpm to keep the pressure up in the hst to avoid premature ware. JMO.

/ Driving uphill
What is the rpm that you are operating at?
With the hst, I would operate at 1800 rpm minimum while driving around. I was told by my dealer to at least run the engine at 1500 rpm to keep the pressure up in the hst to avoid premature ware. JMO.

I run it at 1800 minimum.

/ Driving uphill #7  
I have a Kubota, using reverse to back up steep hills with the bush hog. Gearing is even lower.

/ Driving uphill #8  
I put mine in med range and in 1st on a steep hill at my place at 1800rpms with bush joh off it pulls it fine front wheels pull off ground in a few a spots

/ Driving uphill #9  
Hm....I have an older Kioti, DK35se, and I have some very steep hills. I haven't seen one I can't go up in MED range. Yes I have to back off of the hydro pedal, and the tractor slows down, and I often have to yank in some more throttle, but it still climbs the hills just fine. Now in HI range, the engine will bog down so bad on these same hills you have to stop and get it into a lower range. I am wondering if the hydrostatic relief valve is set to open too low. My hills we are talking about are uncomfortable to walk down for fear of slipping, so pretty steep. Maybe yours are steeper, I don't know or maybe your bush hog is more than either my little carried bush hog or more than my 750 lb ballast I normally have on back with my loaded tires, I don't know.

But I am a little concerned you cannot go up these hills. Does the engine bog down so much that you need to downshift the range to LO or does the engine rpm stay reasonable up and the hydrostat won't pull because the relief valve has opened?. This is the real question. But if it is the engine that is bogging down, then well the engine horsepower is the engine horsepower,. But my engine is similar, and my tractor is NOT light. And I haven't seen a hill I couldn't go up in MED range.

/ Driving uphill
Hm....I have an older Kioti, DK35se, and I have some very steep hills. I haven't seen one I can't go up in MED range. Yes I have to back off of the hydro pedal, and the tractor slows down, and I often have to yank in some more throttle, but it still climbs the hills just fine. Now in HI range, the engine will bog down so bad on these same hills you have to stop and get it into a lower range. I am wondering if the hydrostatic relief valve is set to open too low. My hills we are talking about are uncomfortable to walk down for fear of slipping, so pretty steep. Maybe yours are steeper, I don't know or maybe your bush hog is more than either my little carried bush hog or more than my 750 lb ballast I normally have on back with my loaded tires, I don't know.

But I am a little concerned you cannot go up these hills. Does the engine bog down so much that you need to downshift the range to LO or does the engine rpm stay reasonable up and the hydrostat won't pull because the relief valve has opened?. This is the real question. But if it is the engine that is bogging down, then well the engine horsepower is the engine horsepower,. But my engine is similar, and my tractor is NOT light. And I haven't seen a hill I couldn't go up in MED range.

It's a pretty steep hill. The rpm drops and that's what makes me need to shift to low.