Good tie-down locations in a new ck35

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
Where are good front and back tie-down locations for a new ck35? I need to trailer my ck35 over I40 for about 100 miles.

Thanks

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #2  
This is how mine was delivered the back ones may have been over the axle.
Kioti 001.jpg
A strap should be over the loader as well.

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35
Thanks for the feedback!

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #4  
Hi guys this Kenny living in Pa. I know you have moved your tractor by now. Here's some interesting input.
As of Jan 1 2016. and according to my state rep this came from the federal level.
You can not pull a trailer that has a gross wt larger than you pickup gross GVW. So if you have a 7000 GVW trailer then you can't pull it with a truck like my Nissan which has a GVW of 5815. Now I can pull a 5000 GVW trailer as long as I don't get over 5815 on the truck and 5000 on the trailer. Now that weighing the rig now they can get you on the axle weights. If the axle is allowed 2250 then you need to watch tongue weights as you could over load the rear axle.
Now as for chains and binder equipment must be chained with chains capable of holding the load and must be series 7 stamped on the chain.
You must have 4 chains and binders on the tractor hooked to a anchor point. Hitch, tow hook on front. Now as for the bucket it also must be anchored down with 2 chain and 2 binders. Years ago I used 1 chain across the hook in the rear and one across the front and that was good enough. I always figured the loader can't go any where since its hooked to the tractor. But explain that to a D.O.T. cop.
A year ago I purchased a new 7000 trailer to haul my CK25 with cab 5200 LBs and got DOTd and had to get rid of that one and get a 5000 trailer. Now I can only haul the CK2510. and That 3000 with the mower. trailer is 1800 and I am towing with a Nissan Frontier. So I load center over the axle.
My friend/neighbor got hammered he had a track hoe boomed down with the chains on the track pads, and that was not considered a anchor point so his fine was close to 3000.00 with all the add ons.
Around here there making a killing on this towing stuff, they check the break-a-way switch, they look under the truck to make sure the hitch is rated for the capacity of the trailer, they make sure the ball is rated for the weight of the trailer. They check the coupler for its rating, So I no longer make hitches for trucks. If they can prove you make money with the implement then they want a DOT number on the door. I mow for our tractor club for nothing and I had to get a statement stating that all I get is the fuel. And by the way they are allowed to look on the door sticker to check for your axle weights. I think it should be illegal.

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #5  
Interesting government overzealous? trailering information. Wow. Who owns a chain stamped with a "7"?
Those black soft straps shown above in the pic wouldn't qualify as a load tested chain.
I'm about to buy another tractor and having towed lots of wrecked vehicles home, I "thought" I knew what floats...
I was thinking my challenge on the newer, shinier tractor I'll bring home was to keep it on there w/o damaging the orange paint. It will not be coming from PA, BTW.

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #6  
There is a difference in the laws in PA for hauling commercially, which includes your own business, or private/personal. In PA, you need four separate chains for the tractor, each capable and rated for at least half of the tractor weight, and each connected to the tractor frame/axle separately with separate trailer connection points. Billrog's picture above shows two straps connected to another just going around the brush guard. If one strap breaks, you lose all the front tie down. Therefore the reason for each to be separate. Kind of dumb but the fel bucket is to be chained down and if you have a bh, the bucket has to be chained down. The laws may have gotten crazy but maybe if followed, I wouldn't have had a bulldozer laying on it's side in my front yard. If you have any hauling questions, just call the state police in your area. Around here, they're always willing to answer a question or advise you how to stay legal.

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #7  
You must have 4 chains and binders on the tractor hooked to a anchor point. Hitch, tow hook on front. Now as for the bucket it also must be anchored down with 2 chain and 2 binders. Years ago I used 1 chain across the hook in the rear and one across the front and that was good enough. I always figured the loader can't go any where since its hooked to the tractor. But explain that to a D.O.T. cop.
Federal rules are that if the tractor weight is over 10000 lbs you must have four chains attaching it to the trailer. Under 10,000 pounds 2 chains is fine. Either way the bucket, backhoe boom, a bush hog or other impliment on the back all need to be chained down separately from the tractor no matter the weight, but one chain is fine if its rated for enough weight.

A year ago I purchased a new 7000 trailer to haul my CK25 with cab 5200 LBs and got DOTd and had to get rid of that one and get a 5000 trailer. Now I can only haul the CK2510. and That 3000 with the mower. trailer is 1800 and I am towing with a Nissan Frontier. So I load center over the axle.
Can you point me to the part of the law that talks about that?
Some states say that you cannot tow a trailer that has a weight rating higher than your tow vehicle is rated to tow and I would guess that the law says something like that.
If it was as you say, you could not pull gooseneck trailer with a pickup truck because a loaded 30,000# gooseneck trailer will weigh more than a 9000# pickup truck.

Aaron Z

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #8  
Yes I think you would need a combo license, my friend has to have one. My argument is the trailer has brakes designed for the GVW of the trailer and the truck should not be actually stopping the trailer. If I am pulling to heavy and ruin my truck that my baby not the states. There are federal rules and there are states rules and it depends which one they wish to enforce. When I was working 18,000 you needed a CDL for federal but for the state it is 26000 so the were getting the university for garbage hauler they bought trucks under 26000 and they all had to get CDL I had a 14000 GVW ford and sold it cause I needed a physical card for driving it and needed combo tags for hauling a trailer. They say its all for safety i think the right spelling is MONEY. The federal thing was supposed to equalize the states but they do what they want. kenny

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #9  
Given the experience showing in this thread:

I need to move a tractor from out of state and when I called my buddy who always kept a trailer I could use- he had sold it.
I live in a very rural area and will make some calls to nearest towns on Tuesday but for now I'm wondering if a U-haul car hauler might do this haul?
The tractor is a Kioti DK35SE which is 3,915#'s plus FEL which I'm guessing (google fails me on FEL gross weight for a KL351 w/66" bucket) to be ~ 1,000#'s for total of ~5,000 #'s. U-haul site says they'll haul 79.25" wide max, 133" wheelbase (I think they are 19' total length?). The owner says he's toted it on an 18' & a 20' that he owned.
might have to "fudge" the rental specs. when U-haul punches it into their system?
Distance is cost prohibitive to hire a hauler. I did see a 26' stakebed truck from Enterprise which will be pricey me thinks. I'll be calling several trailer dealers to see if they have rentals.
What say you on ideas beyond my local rental search?

/ Good tie-down locations in a new ck35 #10  
The questions would be how wide are the back tires, will they be too wide for the tire channels on the trailer? And what is the inside to inside width on the front tires? If those measurements are good you can probably back it on and be good.

Aaron Z