Turned 1000 hours - then crunch...

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #1  

phiferpharm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac
I just turned 1000 hours on my DK45 HST and.... I hear (and feel) crunching noises from my left front wheel. I popped it out of 4 wheel drive, jump off and look. The wheel was covered in hydraulic fluid running down the inside of the wheel. My best guess is the seal, and wheel bearing went bye-bye at best, and the way it was sounding, I'm guessing more may be screwed up.

I got it out from where I was getting a bucketful of dirt, put it on level ground and shut it down. Hopefully the distance I drove it to get it out of the dirt pit didn't do more damage, but we'll see. I'm wondering if anybody has been down this road before, and has an idea what the parts might cost. I have a good repair mobile guy, who was the Kioti Service manager before his company closed (the owner retired), and have been happy with the service work he has done in the past, but would like a ballpark idea of what I'm facing before I call him.

While I'm not happy I had the problem, I have really been happy with the job the Kioti does. Other than having to replace the ignition (a weakness I knew about), I have had no issues with the tractor.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #2  
Sorry for your problems. We'll all face something like this if we work our tractors long enough. Only person that can give you an idea of cost is your mechanic friend.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #3  
Were you greasing that zerk on the upper shaft support? (blue arrow in drawing) Thats the only way that upper bearing gets properly lubricated.

If you were, perhaps the shims (where the green arrow is pointing) were not correct from factory, causing too much play.

Steering.png

I'm curious what you find the cause was here. I hope things work out for you.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch...
I'm curious what you find the cause was here. I hope things work out for you.

Thanks - I have greased every fitting fairly frequently, so I'm not sure if I have missed this one ( I don't think so). I'll post what the mechanic says once it's fixed.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #5  
I'm gonna guess part # 6208 or 6209 in xcgreene's excellent picture.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #6  
This has happened to several folks and they have posted pics/part #'s/prices. I didn't bookmark them so I don't have easy access to them. Good luck.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch...
   / Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #8  
This has happened to several folks and they have posted pics/part #'s/prices. I didn't bookmark them so I don't have easy access to them. Good luck.
Define SEVERAL?Just curious?

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #9  
Define SEVERAL?Just curious?

I'm pretty sure it happened to one guy way out in the woods and he and his mechanic had to pack in tools and parts and fix it on site. If I recall correctly he got it fixed up and returned to service only to have the other one fail within a week or two. By his own admission though, he was subjecting the loader to bulldozer-like duty.

/ Turned 1000 hours - then crunch... #10  
I thought I read of 2 or 3 events, but the one that was posted is the one that I was referring to.