Winches Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #11  
Quit common to have very questionable solutions for storage, my old Fransgard has no support at all and needs a wall, my old Norse/Sandvik has a support but the footprint of the support is so small that it will fall over on soft ground. Be very careful to secure it if you have children playing in the area.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #12  
Good luck with the new winch. I have a similar setup. Kioti NX4510, Sundown GR40 grapple, and Igland 3501. Hopefully I will get a chance to try my new 3501 in a couple weeks when I return to Maine for a bit.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #13  
I have the same basic setup as you. Sundown GR40 grapple and Igland 3501. Since we no longer have the bucket attached, how do you carry your chainsaw(s), gas, oil, and other assorted logging equipment into the woods with you?

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get?
I have the same basic setup as you. Sundown GR40 grapple and Igland 3501. Since we no longer have the bucket attached, how do you carry your chainsaw(s), gas, oil, and other assorted logging equipment into the woods with you?

Great Question, I had the same one.

I ran with a few ideas based off things I've seen. The photos below show you where I've built in a chainsaw holdster and a tool box for things like Files, Wedges, Extra saw chains, ect. Both the Holdster and Ammo/Toolbox are quickly removable and lift right off. On the box, I just welded on sort of a flat hook that just slides over that part of the FEL cradle, Similar for the chainsaw Holder.

Chainsaw Holder.jpg
Tool Storage.jpg

Gas and oil cans have been sort of a "toss anywhere" kind of thing. Might do something about that too.

Now I'm not perfectly happy with these solutions just yet, but great working prototypes in the mean time, and a great utilization of prime realestate that would otherwise be wasted.

Last edited:
   / Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #15  
A couple of good ideas there. How did you fasten the saw scabbard in place? Unfortunately, I can't compare the picture to my tractor at the moment because it is in Maine and I am in New Jersey.

And the ammo box is just welded on to the frame?

I was trying to come up with some ideas of my own. I was thinking that something could be mounted between the vertical support of the ROPS. Another idea is to make a tray with handles that could be picked up with the grapple and carried with its cargo. Once on location, it could be set down so the grapple could be used. Once finished, it would be picked up again and carried out. The downside is that an extra trip might be required if you wanted to carry out a log in the grapple.

A couple of good ideas there. How did you fasten the saw scabbard in place? Unfortunately, I can't compare the picture to my tractor at the moment because it is in Maine and I am in New Jersey.

And the ammo box is just welded on to the frame?

I was trying to come up with some ideas of my own. I was thinking that something could be mounted between the vertical support of the ROPS. Another idea is to make a tray with handles that could be picked up with the grapple and carried with its cargo. Once on location, it could be set down so the grapple could be used. Once finished, it would be picked up again and carried out. The downside is that an extra trip might be required if you wanted to carry out a log in the grapple.

I'd take a photo of how the saw and tool box are attached if I was on site, but I'm away currently. Neither are welded on, I've fabricated sort of a fork on the back of the toolbox and saw holder that just forks onto the back of the front end loader cradle. They can be lifted right off whenever needed.

There are many ideas out there that I think would work great. I'd like to weld some sort of vice to my grapple just to have in the field. I think that could also double as a saw holder. Vice placement would have to be well thought out, but a possible idea to ponder.

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #17  
Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at these ideas when I get to Maine at the end of the month. I have to think that lots of guys have these same issues. Maybe we need a thread dedicated to tool and equipment carriers?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at these ideas when I get to Maine at the end of the month. I have to think that lots of guys have these same issues. Maybe we need a thread dedicated to tool and equipment carriers?

Check out the "customization" forum under the "general forum" section of TractorByNet, lots of great ideas and people in there for this kind of thing.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #19  
Thanks for the link. I was looking through "How do you carry your chainsaw?" and found this very interesting yet simple idea.

291812d1354823946-how-do-you-carry-your-cimg0919-jpg

291813-how-do-you-carry-your-cimg0923-jpg

291814-how-do-you-carry-your-cimg0924-jpg

/ Igland 3501 or 4501, which winch to get? #20  
I bought the same Igland 4501 winch from Reed Supply also. I love it so far and it has helped me a lot pulling out trees. It is fast and gets the job done. Anchoring against the base of a tree or a stump works very well. I pulled out a full length 22 inch in diameter Ash tree with branches the other day like it was nothing. Here's a link to mine and the rear tool box I installed. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...0d1512824640-few-new-attachments-dsc01168-jpg