Cannot Attach FEL on DK40

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #1  

drjay9051

Gold Member
Morriston, Fl. 40 miles west of Ocala. More cows
Tractor
Kioti DK 40 HST
Took off the FEL on my DK40 to get into some tight spaces. Parked loader on bucket and legs per manual.

Today i have spent over an hour in utter frustration.

I'm not sure if I somehow shifted the legs or bucket but I have driven the tractor to a point where the holes almost line up, attached the hydraulic lines and tried to manipulate the bucket to set the pins.

On one side the outer hole lines up but not the inner side regardless of how much I play with the joystick.

On the opposite side I'm off by a good 1/4 inch.

So what is the trick to attaching the FEL?

I was thinking of detaching the hydraulic lines, moving tractor out of barn and maybe tilting the FEL to a different position but it is pretty heavy.

This should be so simple but I have managed to gum this up big time.

Funny that I can repair some complex issues but cannot attach my FEL !!!

Any suggestions??

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #2  
Rear wheels are not setting on the same level/parallel plane as the loader. Drive the lower side rear wheel up on blocks to equal it with other side.

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40
Rear wheels are not setting on the same level/parallel plane as the loader. Drive the lower side rear wheel up on blocks to equal it with other side.

Appreciate the reply.

The barn is on a flat 4 in concrete floor . Never had an issue with level but I suppose I can give it a try.

Other option is to place jack below chassis and level it.

I would think install wold be simple reverse of removal??

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #4  
I feel your frustration as I struggled somewhat the first time I removed my FEL. The key to me is getting the tractor and the loader all on the same level plane. If one is off then everything else will be. Get the tractor in as far as you can. Then shim the bucket up or down with wood blocks underneath the bucket to match the tractor frame. Having a long pry bar aides in the placement, Good Luck !

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #5  
Yep... sometimes a pry bar is the only answer to this. Some days all goes easy some it don't.

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #6  
I remove the FEL on my DK40SE at least once per season so I can use it for haying. As others have mentioned being level is very critical. Once I get the hole partially lined up I can usually use a large punch or rod to get it aligned enough to drive the pin in.

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #7  
FWIW, it might be easier to first remove the bucket and then the FEL. This way if you have to wrestle with the loader it weighs less and is more easily maneuverable. Also suggest greasing the area where the pins go in completely and very thoroughly because getting grease where it needs to be in that area is difficult when the FEL is on the tractor.
In the meantime make sure everything is level and parallel. The tractor brackets need to be dead on straight to the holes the pins go through too.

If you have something you could tie the loader arms to above the loader to better position it when you pull the tractor up to the loader that might help to get everything aligned. Make sure whatever you use overhead is strong enough to use a hoist like set-up above the arms!

Good luck, post back results and suggestions for how you managed the outcome for the next guy.

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #8  
i guess i dont understand what your asking. post some pics. ive removed mine a dozen times and it always just hooks right back up

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #9  
If it is a vertical misalignment, you could just let a little air out of the tires on the side that is too high. That’s a little simpler than jacking it up.

/ Cannot Attach FEL on DK40 #10  
Im guessing that the bottom of your loader bucket may be bent slightly from usage, and that it throwing off the "levelness" that you thought you had.