question for NX owners

/ question for NX owners #11  
Not sure on the two plugs in your first photo, unless they are secondary fill plugs, I don’t have a axle parts diagram here tonight to look at but maybe some models have seals between the axle tube and bevel housing. As for the drain plugs Besides the one on the axle tube are the small ones in your second pic.

/ question for NX owners #12  
Hey sorry I'm late been out playing....so lets see I removed the 14mm plug at the bottom of each axle.
So I'm gonnah go garfield on you with big eye balls and say third drain plug????
where? hate to have missed it.
Hard to tell how much was drained also since it was all I could do to hold funnel and keep it over the oil drain pan.
It did dawn on me that oem oil is hydraulic.
The 85-140 is thick so should have just slowed down on each quart and waited a bit to add the next.

It appears to have settled all out and the oil is about 3mm above the top x-hatch marks. Since I've been using rake all day w/o 4wd; may take a hand pump and remove a tad to lower level.

But the 7L quantity well just did not work out lol.....

Ah I understand on the draining issues. That’s not to bad on the over filling then, yeah gear oil would take a bit to settle and work any little air pockets out of the bevel housings. Sends like your good to go now. Good timing on this as I’m draining mine tomorrow but will be using hydraulic oil that I have left over from my full hydraulic change last week.

/ question for NX owners
Ah I understand on the draining issues. That痴 not to bad on the over filling then, yeah gear oil would take a bit to settle and work any little air pockets out of the bevel housings. Sends like your good to go now. Good timing on this as I知 draining mine tomorrow but will be using hydraulic oil that I have left over from my full hydraulic change last week.

Appreciate the follow up. have a safe week. :thumbsup:

/ question for NX owners #14  
Not sure on the two plugs in your first photo, unless they are secondary fill plugs, I don’t have a axle parts diagram here tonight to look at but maybe some models have seals between the axle tube and bevel housing. As for the drain plugs Besides the one on the axle tube are the small ones in your second pic.

Thanks cb! Any insight you can provide after looking at the parts diagram would be appreciated.

/ question for NX owners #15  
No seals between the axle tube and bevel gear case, which I didn’t figure would be, the drain on the center of the axle housing is a bit lower than then tubes themselves. The two fill ports on top of the bevel cases I found no mention of, but suspect there needed for this application but may be needed on something else that uses this gear case. I drained the two bevel cases first and then pulled the center drain out and got another 10 oz or so of fluid out. My dipstick showed the level as being just on the lower section of the cross hatch area. I drained 2 gallons out total of the front axle.

One other note, I used a funnel in the fill port were the dipstick goes so I removed one of the fill ports on the top of the bevel case just to let air out and not burp back through the funnel.

/ question for NX owners #16  
Good point..... drain the lowers and then see if any additional drains from the upper drain plug on the bottom of the axle.

I took a look at the tractor when I was out there and noticed that there are upper plugs on the front of the hubs facing forward:
View attachment 549139

Are these filling points? Do they even need to be removed if you're filling from the dipstick hole? Or are these something completely different? I probably wouldn't have noticed them if they weren't painted orange like the rest of the drain plugs. This setup kind of remind me of the upper and lower plugs on an outboard motor lower unit where you filled from the lower plug until the fluid appeared in the upper plug.

These are the actual drain plugs on the hubs facing the back of the tractor:
View attachment 549140

So here's what I plan on doing: Removing the left and right lower plugs and let drain. Then remove the upper center drain plug and let drain. After draining, replace all plugs and fill from the dipstick. If anyone knows of a better way to replace the fluid in the front axle with all the plugs, let me know. I know this should be a simple process but because of the cost of the fluid going in there, I want to make sure it's done right the first time. Thanks TBN'ers!

So I thought I would post a follow-up to my initial question in case anyone comes across this thread and reads the post. I followed the procedure I outlined above when filling the front axle (not removing the upper housing plugs). I drained nearly 2 gallons from the tractor, which is supposed to hold about 1.9 gallons of gear lube. When filling, I got almost a full 6 quarts (1.5 gallons) and the dip stick read full. I thought, OK, let it settle. I let it settle overnight and the dipstick still said full. So my next thought was to drive the tractor forward and back a little and check it again. Still, the dipstick said full. Finally, looking at the hub design, I thought maybe there was air trapped in the hub assembly preventing the fluid from filling the hub. I removed those upper plugs and the dipstick immediately went dry. I filled from dipstick again and put in the remaining 2 quarts putting me right at the 1.9 gallon capacity. Right when I hit the full capacity, the lube started seeping out of the upper drain plugs, so I know I got it full now. Lesson learned - remove those upper plugs when filling so air can escape. I hope this helps someone else.

/ question for NX owners
So I thought I would post a follow-up to my initial question in case anyone comes across this thread and reads the post. I followed the procedure I outlined above when filling the front axle (not removing the upper housing plugs). I drained nearly 2 gallons from the tractor, which is supposed to hold about 1.9 gallons of gear lube. When filling, I got almost a full 6 quarts (1.5 gallons) and the dip stick read full. I thought, OK, let it settle. I let it settle overnight and the dipstick still said full. So my next thought was to drive the tractor forward and back a little and check it again. Still, the dipstick said full. Finally, looking at the hub design, I thought maybe there was air trapped in the hub assembly preventing the fluid from filling the hub. I removed those upper plugs and the dipstick immediately went dry. I filled from dipstick again and put in the remaining 2 quarts putting me right at the 1.9 gallon capacity. Right when I hit the full capacity, the lube started seeping out of the upper drain plugs, so I know I got it full now. Lesson learned - remove those upper plugs when filling so air can escape. I hope this helps someone else.

There's one upper plug around the middle of the axles. Is that the one you are referring to?
or
your speaking of the plug above the drain plug on each wheel. Quite larger then the drain plug?
Sorry about being slow on the uptake here. Do appreciate the new find.

I will take a look first thing in the morning.
have a great week.

/ question for NX owners #18  
The ones I took out to burp air were the two large plugs on top of each bevel gear housing. The way I understood his post it was the same plugs but will let him clarify that.

/ question for NX owners
The ones I took out to burp air were the two large plugs on top of each bevel gear housing. The way I understood his post it was the same plugs but will let him clarify that.

Thanks....re-read it again this morning, you be correct-oh-mundo......heh...
I should quit reading and posting after 10pm....heh....heh.....my 60-70 era brain cells get challenged....

Now, time to go check it out.....appreciate it....:thumbsup:

/ question for NX owners #20  

Correct. The upper plugs on each bevel gear housing. They face the front of the tractor and are 15/16". The lower drain plugs facing the rear of the tractor on each bevel gear housing are 14mm. I have pictures of both of these earlier in the thread. Note: The drain plug on the bottom center of the axle is also 14mm. The 14mm plugs all appear identical, but the center axle one had a rubber gasket and the lower ones had a steel washer.