replace coolant

/ replace coolant #1  

inthe country

Tractor
Kioti CK3510
I have a 2016 CK3510. I am coming up on 200 hours, so I was going through the manual to see what's required. I was a little surprised to see the manual calls for the radiator fluid to be changed. That seems a little excessive, but it's still under warranty so I will do it. My dealer is horrible and would certainly use any reason to weasel out of the warranty. Do people really change their coolant every 200 hours? Also any suggestions on where to get the coolant without any additives as required in the manual?

/ replace coolant #2  
Well - I use Zerex G-05 antifreeze and that has a five year life span. I would say - do what your owners manual recommends and change your antifreeze. Small price to pay for keeping your warranty in effect.

Its not the finding that may be a tad trying - its the interpretation of the lingo on the jug of antifreeze and matching it up with what your owners manual wants. I suggest an auto parts store - take your owners manual along so the folks can see what you need.

/ replace coolant #3  
I change my coolant every 5 years whether it needs it or not. I also check it every fall with a voltmeter and if there is voltage between the probes, then it gets changed on the spot.
I keep my coolant at a robust -50F in both the tractor and the Jeep.

/ replace coolant #4  
By all means change it. Kioti may not be using a decent 50-50 mix of hi-quality
ethylene glycol. I wish I had done my first change earlier. If you want to go
more than 5y for the next change, use the pink or red extra-longlife fluid.

This is also true of the hydraulic fluid. Kioti uses cheap hydraulic fluid, not THF.

I think that LOOKING4's electrolyte test is a good one.

/ replace coolant #5  
Coolant/antifreeze breaks down with use and becomes sludge over time. This failure makes for clogged radiator passages and possible etching of water pump vanes, etc. Change it when specified, or suffer the consequences of not doing so.
I wouldn't worry about your dealer's take on it- what's he going to do to your warranty. He's not in a position to penalize you for not having changed it. It's crucial, but it's not like you didn't change your oil for 200 hours.

/ replace coolant #6  
A good thing to do when replacing your coolant is run a water/citric acid solution through it after you drain the old coolant, then a full refill of fresh water to rinse it out. Then put the new coolant in. This will clean all the crap out there.

/ replace coolant #7  
One factor often overlooked with tractor sized diesel engines is the deterioration of the coolant by the pressure pulses in the engine cylinders.

The condition is called:

Cavitation Erosion

This and similar links are worth reading every time you consider treating your diesel tractor cooling system like one in a car.

Cavitation Erosion in Diesel Cylinders - Engine Builder Magazine

Dave M7040

/ replace coolant #8  
One factor often overlooked with tractor sized diesel engines is the deterioration of the coolant by the pressure pulses in the engine cylinders.

The condition is called:

Cavitation Erosion

This and similar links are worth reading every time you consider treating your diesel tractor cooling system like one in a car.

Cavitation Erosion in Diesel Cylinders - Engine Builder Magazine

Dave M7040

^^^^this^^^^^^^
Plus, if there is room install a coolant filter. I ran one on the 7.3l for about 9 years or so and those filters came out loaded!
Also something not mentioned is casting sand. I drained the 7.3l and got over 1 table spoon of casting sand in the coolant drain pan.
Many factors contribute to the life of a coolant other then result of a tester alone. Changing the coolant, flushing with distilled water (yeah I was that OCD and used about 8 gallons to flush out the PSD :eek::D) Then filling with fresh coolant will go a long ways. Plus once a thorough flush has been done and manufacturing contaminates flushed out the next time may not need be so detailed and intense.
This is the kit I used: http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-2003ford73lpowerstrokecoolantfiltrationsystem.aspx
plus bought the two ball valves to isolate filter housing and allow a quick filter change out. Hope that helps with some ideas.
Not saying this will fit your machine just to inform of possibilities.

On Edit: This is something I have long considering to use.
Evans waterless coolant, prevent engine overheating
Just have not read any forums of anyone using it, sooooooo I hesitate.....

/ replace coolant #9  
^^^^this^^^^^^^

Evans waterless coolant, prevent engine overheating
Just have not read any forums of anyone using it, sooooooo I hesitate.....

YLee

Water less coolant is not no coolant. In my youth, there was a time when antifreeze prices went crazy. I was a poor student with no money.
I had an old 6 cylinder 4x4 truck with a plow to clean my lane.

Instead of an antifreeze coolant, I used varsol. Smelled funny but was cheap. Probably very flammable at higher engine temps. I was young and stupid.

The Evans product is an expensive product to use when you don't have a severe cooling situation.

There are two common forms of antifreeze. Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.

It is in the science that the properties of each arise in unexpected ways.

A property of a coolant is called specific heat. In simple terms, how many liters of coolant can transport a known quantity of heat (Btu').
A coolant with a high specific heat will require less flow to remove a fixed amount of waste heat from an engine.

A second property is viscosity. The higher the viscosity, the more horsepower required to pump the coolant.

In large engine situations, power generation for one example, the two factors have to be considered to end up with the lowest operating cost.

Lastly, propylene glycol is an edible product used as a sweetener in many foods we eat. If you could have a coolant leak where people could be present, having a spill of a non toxic coolant is a big relief.

Ethylene glycol is poisonous. Let your dog or cat drink some while you are replacing yours and you will, at least, have a very sick animal or a dead one.

Dave M7040

/ replace coolant #10  
Read page two of their safety data sheet:

http://www.hrpworld.com/store/media...High Performance Waterless Engine Coolant.pdf

An interesting write-up from another company:

No-Rosion Products Technical Questions and Answers

Then Google "what is evans waterless coolant made of" for other general comments.

Thanks for the info.

Well back when the old 7.3l was my daily hobby and driver it was a product that I toyed with the idea. Then ..look squirrel...! and quickly forgot about it.

But since we got on the coolant topic this has been a good educational exposure for all of us, well for moi at least..heh.......pretty toxic and not something I'd care for on the property.

and hard to believe it's been 4 years, so now have to look at the yotas and perform some checks on the coolant....!
where oh where does the time go.....hey, don't answer that .....:D