PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #1  

cphilip

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti 2610HST, Toro Titan ZX 5400 w Kawaski, Bush Hog rotory, Farm KIng tiller, Land Pride Box blade, Tiger attachments forks, Land Pride Grooming mower, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, Superior 20' 7700# Equip Trailer
Kind of funny in a way.

When my 2610 was delivered the headlights did not work. It had blow the fuse. I tried a new fuse and it blew immediately so I just stopped and called. We discussed this over the phone that next day and we decided to wait until it came back in for its 50 hour service since I didn't do anything at night anyway.

Well fast forward to last week when it was in for that 50 hour service.

The mechanic told me that Kioti told him to replace the entire wiring harness. His explanation to me (and youll find this interesting) is that when they do these sorts of warranty repairs they are told step by step by Kioti what diagnostics to run and Kioti calls all the shots (if they want to get paid). So he did the things they asked and they simply said stop and replace the entire thing. They want to then send this harness to the supplier to be examined to prevent a repeat etc etc.. So he did.

Well... he gets almost all the way through plugging in the new one (which requires some removal of dash etc) and he's pulling into place the very last drop which is the leg that come back behind the seat where the auxiliary light wires happen to be and low and behold he finds the positive and negative wire had been plugged together! Which was the problem from the start. Someone had seen them there and decided they must has simply come undone and decided to do us all a favor! Probably while it was on the lot waiting to be delivered. Who knows. I never looked. Didn't even think of it.

I would imagine most of your tractors have this set of wires and they are exposed and they will fit together if you chose to do so. But did not know they were on the light switch circuit and controlled by the light switch. They did not hide them in the bundle either. And they sort of do look like they should go together. I'll try and get a picture of them but most of you have seen them before. For some reason I never connected the problem with those wires back there. Never thought about it. Never really cared because lights to me are rather useless most of the time.

Now... lessons learned are that Kioti is serious about how they want problems addressed and how dealers can address them. To their credit they are strict about this and allow little in the way of "freelancing". They get the problems solved even if its a bit extreme the way they do it.

So now I'm thinking about adding a light back there! LOL...

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #2  
Good for Kioti service procedures. :thumbsup:Fire the salesman!:eek:
I'll take the 'old' harness....

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #3  
What the heck does the salesman have to do with it? Could have been anyone that plugged those together.

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me
We figure some lookie loo messed with it while it sat on the lot from the day it was prepped and then the day it was delivered. Perhaps even some kid or something. Was there only a day or two or three.

I asked what he would do with the harness and he said he had to wait for Kioti to tell him what to do with it. He said likely they will want it back but it might take a month or so before they told him. But if not he'll probably just keep it and help out some out of warranty customer some day in the future.

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #6  
I don't chime in as often as I should, but I do read most all the posts, even the ones that apply to different models than mine. I appreciate people giving us all a "heads up" on problems that they uncover; many problems can apply to several different models.

It is pure speculation (as far as I know), as to how the connectors got plugged together. However, who is at fault that they did get plugged together is very plain (at least to me), and that would be Kioti!

It seems to me to be absurdly obvious that no professionally designed wiring harness with two plugs close enough to be plugged into each other, would be ABLE to be plugged together. (they could both be male/female, different styles, different number of pins, etc)

When the plugs are "out in the open", as described in this thread - ANYONE could notice them, and assume they had been accidentally separated, then as a 'favor' to the owner, plug them back together. Even the owner could make the mistake, then if it happens to be a circuit that is seldom used, probably would have no reason to correlate the failure (of the lights in this instance) to the act of (re)plugging the connectors.

If this had happened after the warranty had expired, the OP could have well been on the hook for quite a bit of $$ for a mechanic to 'trace out' a short.

After reading the post, I looked closely around the rear of my DK45. I didn't see any "loose connectors". If I had, I was planning on taping, or zip locking them together, to show that they were not intended to be connected.

Again, although it doesn't appear that my particular model is affected, I really appreciate cphilip calling this potential problem to all our attention!

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #7  
On new models it is best practice to place warranty parts into the warranty bin for the OEM to examine for mean points of failure to adress in the next job tickit.

If they didn't do this best practice, that would be somewhat concerning.

In this case, the connectors will likely get changed so that a dead short cannot happene this way again.

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me
I cannot comment really on if it occurs in other models. And anyone that knows wiring would not plug a wire that obviously had Red into one that had Black wire. But... as commented. I think not hiding, changing or affixing so that they could not be plugged together will be an eventual result. However I would be curious to know how many are like this other than mine. Have to be since the replacement harness is the same way. I'd be guessing any of the CK's. The 3510 and 4010 perhaps. Maybe even the SE variants of those.

This area of the wiring harness appears to be running back to attach to the fuel gauge. It just carry'd along the light wire as it goes.

Here are a couple pictures of the two wires as they now sit. And I assume how they looked on the old wiring harness but were plugged together. I've separated them out so you'll be able to see them better.

The dealer says he planned to simply wrap these from now on. But he left mine open like that so he could show me what he found. Ill either wrap them or use them soon. Just so no one decides to "help" me out again!

Attachments

• IMG_5619.JPG
    IMG_5619.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5620.JPG
    IMG_5620.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
   / PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #9  
Exact same bullet connectors on my 2012 CK35 Hst. For optional work lights 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse block. Seems like Kioti has been using these connectors for a while now.

/ PSA wiring snaffu from dealer to me #10  
Same on the GC series, but if the circuit doesn't pass through a lamp first (the MF lamp has integral on/off), I imagine it would blow the fuse. The spare/auxiliary that MF includes in the harness under the seat and near the top link is positive only and was folded back and taped down; it was a bugger to locate, but there was nothing to accidentally or helpfully plug it into. Now it powers my LED lightbar.