Draft Control Operation

/ Draft Control Operation #1  

Piney Woods Rooter

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 585-DI & Kioti DK55C w/upgraded 1595 FEL
Question about my '03 DK55C:

Is the draft control activated by changes in the implement height or an increase/decrease in the pulling resistance of the implement, i.e. if the implement starts dragging the tractor down then the draft control lifts it some? The manual could be interpreted either way depending on where you look.

Thanks
PWR

/ Draft Control Operation #2  
Draft Control is activated by increase/decrease in the pulling resistance of the implement, i.e. if the implement starts dragging the tractor down then the draft control lifts it.

You change sensitivity of Draft Control actuation by moving inboard end of Top Link up or down in paired holes. Usually three pairs of holes, sometimes four pairs of holes.

/ Draft Control Operation #3  
Question about my '03 DK55C:

Is the draft control activated by changes in the implement height or an increase/decrease in the pulling resistance of the implement, i.e. if the implement starts dragging the tractor down then the draft control lifts it some? The manual could be interpreted either way depending on where you look.

Thanks
PWR

Draft control raises when the draft load exceeds what the system is set at. Not sure on your tractor if there are 2 or 3 settings? I think that a common misunderstanding is how far the implement gets raised. It raises enough to lessen the load until the load is less than what the system is set at. I use my DC pretty much all the time when grading with my rear blade. Typically it will raise less than 1/8", just enough to allow me to continue on with no change of speed. It then simply drops back down to where I have the position control set at.

Imagine a piece of fishing line. On one side, the tractor will pull the load, on the other side it will not. The implement raises just enough to get over the line and then drops back to the original desired setting, thus less than 1/8". Now if you are dealing with rocks, roots etc, then the implement may need to raise high enough to get over the obstacle, this is where the implement would raise more. Depending on the circumstances, but draft control may not be the right feature to be using in those types of conditions.

I hope that this helps some. ;)

/ Draft Control Operation
You change sensitivity of Draft Control actuation by moving inboard end of Top Link up or down in paired holes. Usually three pairs of holes, sometimes four pairs of holes.

And that answers another question... What are the other holes for? LOL

Draft control raises when the draft load exceeds what the system is set at. Not sure on your tractor if there are 2 or 3 settings? I think that a common misunderstanding is how far the implement gets raised. It raises enough to lessen the load until the load is less than what the system is set at. I use my DC pretty much all the time when grading with my rear blade. Typically it will raise less than 1/8", just enough to allow me to continue on with no change of speed. It then simply drops back down to where I have the position control set at.

Imagine a piece of fishing line. On one side, the tractor will pull the load, on the other side it will not. The implement raises just enough to get over the line and then drops back to the original desired setting, thus less than 1/8". Now if you are dealing with rocks, roots etc, then the implement may need to raise high enough to get over the obstacle, this is where the implement would raise more. Depending on the circumstances, but draft control may not be the right feature to be using in those types of conditions.

I hope that this helps some. ;)

That does help, thanks!

So I'm assuming that due to leverage, etc., the holes farthest away from the lower link (uppermost) is the LEAST sensitive?

/ Draft Control Operation #7  
And that answers another question... What are the other holes for? LOL

The holes serve 2 purposes, draft control sensitivity, with the hole furthest away from the pivot point being the most sensitive and typically how the implement is lifted. The top hole allows the hitch to basically lift the implement level and the lower holes will lift the implement in more of an arch and lifts the implement a few inches higher.

The holes serve 2 purposes, draft control sensitivity, with the hole furthest away from the pivot point being the most sensitive and typically how the implement is lifted. The top hole allows the hitch to basically lift the implement level and the lower holes will lift the implement in more of an arch and lifts the implement a few inches higher.

:thumbsup:

p.s. Looking forward to the new top link!!

/ Draft Control Operation #9  
Not intending to confuse, just clarify. DC sense load changes in the top link. When the implement overloads it actually pushes forward on the top link. The DC system activates to raise the 3pt arms which relieves the load and reverses the top link from a pushing action to a pulling action. Reacts much, much faster and more delicately than the most experienced operator can.

When the implement overloads it actually pushes forward on the top link. The DC system activates to raise the 3pt arms which relieves the load and reverses the top link from a pushing action to a pulling action.

Yeah, that makes sense!

Thanks!