CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #1  

dchannam

Tractor
Ford NAA Jubilee
Hello,

I’ve ´e searched, and read some older threads that say its normal, but if anyone has recent experience with the 50 hr service, and a hydraulic/HST filter only change, filter drain that looks like metallic paint, i壇 Like to hear if I need to be worried....

I changed engine oil, filter, and only swapped the HST and hydraulic filters. Draining the filters into a catch pan, there is a lot of very fine metal particles. Do I need to be calling the dealer Monday?

Should I do a new filter swap in a few hours, do a full fluid swap...

Dang filters were tightened extremely well.... lol

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #2  
I believe the consensus here is that what you are seeing is the reason the first service is at 50 hours.

The tractor makers expect moving parts to rub off metal to mate, which is flushed with this service. At 50 hours it is normal and not an issue.

If it is still severe at 200 hours then I would worry about it.

Edit to add: what tractor do you have that calls for filter only at 50 hours? I thought all wanted HST fluid changed at that point. :confused:
2nd edit: Duh, you say in the title what tractor. Sorry. Does it really specify filter only, though?

Last edited:
   / CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #3  
Why dont you send a sample of the oil away to be tested and see what they say.

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #4  
My dealer also says he doesn't change the hyd fluid at 50 hours; just the filter. He says the filter should catch any particles.

Sounds like that didn't happen here!

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #5  
Kioti says HYD filter at 50 hours (and oil change and I think fuel filter too..I got all the stuff at purchase and just at 28 hours now ..10 days in...but had to catch up on brush hogging)

I'd expect some metal in there..how much is 'too much'?

If you feel it's too much change the fluid.

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #6  
The HST filter is doing it's job, catching what was left over from manufacturing. That's why it's specified at 50 hours. I ONLY change both hydraulic filters, and only top off original factory fluid for the HST. In over 1500 hours between my 350 hours on my DK-35 Kioti and the rest on my current DK-40 the stick shows clean, and I've had NO HST issues to date. I've had some hose leaks, etc. and just top off the HST fluid with UTF with wet brake universal fluid. On advice of my selling dealer.

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #7  
if you are going to continue running the same fluid, without change, having an oil sample analysis done once a year is cheap insurance at around $30

The filters may be doing there job, but that's the only job they do. Any part of the transmission where two surfaces meet together under high pressure will slowly wear out viscosity index improvers that are present in good hydraulic oil, this means that your 10W20 oil will no longer be 10W20, and film strength will be reduced with running hours and stress. Foreign particles smaller than the filters 11 micron mesh will continue to build within the system, and any other chemicals that are introduced into the system will always be in there.

You could go a few thousand hours without trouble, Making this sort of thing seem like a fair idea. but when problems begin to arise from the older unchanged oil, it will be far to late.

5 gallons pails of decent hydraulic/trans fluid can be had for some $32.

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #8  
I just completed the 50hr service on a ck2610 hst without changing the hydraulic fluid. Did you run a magnet through the oil? I just cut apart my hst filter. The filter media looked cleaner than the engine oil filter. I shined a light through the hydraulic fluid left in the filters and noticed a suspension of something that looked like graphic dust. I figured if I could see it, it will be filtered. DSC00594.jpg

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #9  
Does the factory hydro filter have a magnet on it?

/ CK4010 2017 50 Hr service, heavy fine metallics in hydraulic filter #10  
No magnets on either filter.