Overheating

/ Overheating #1  

hpowell

Ihave recently purchased a Kioti LB1914 w/ a front loader. The tractor is a low hour tractor and is in excelltnt condition. The tractor does within 10 to 15 minutes over heat at higher rpm, to the point that the radiator steams and must be shut down. I have checked the coolant, checked the radiator screen, and even ran with the side covers off. I have no dealer in my state, Any Ideas????

Dr, P /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Overheating #2  
From the other Orange tractor forum...... lots of good suggestions that will apply to all tractors regardless of color... Overheating is color blind.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif read more about over heating here......

/ Overheating #3  
To add to the great info on Junkman's link, also check the tension on your fan belt. I've found that some belts can loosen as they get broken in and need a minor adjustment. This was a problem that I encountered with my Kubota several years back. The new belt had stretched just enough after a few hours of use to where it was slipping over the fan pulley, limiting the airflow to the radiator.

Also, see if you can locate a service manual for your tractor model. Even though you have no local dealers, there are probably several that can get you a copy. A very valuable tool if you ever have a problem, and even if you don't work on the tractor yourself, any mechanic that does will love you for having it. It will ultimately save you/them time and money.

/ Overheating #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The tractor does within 10 to 15 minutes over heat at higher rpm, to the point that the radiator steams and must be shut down. )</font>
I have to agree that it sounds like a belt slipping since you say it overheats at higher RPM where the belt would have more opportunity to slip.
Try this: Apply pressure to the belt between pulleys with your thumb. You should get only 0.25 - 0.34 in. of deflection. If it's greater than that, loosen the alternator mounting bolts, place a lever (maybe a large screwdriver) between the alternator and the engine block pulling the alternator out until the belt is at the right tension. I would tighten it if it moves more than a 1/4 -1/2 inch myself. If that doesn't repair it, take the radiator to a shop and have it cleaned properly. You say it's low hour tractor, but you don't know how well it was maintained before. It's possible that the fins have a lot of debris deep in them. Also, I would drain the coolant and put it back at 40% antifeeze and water. You could try using compressed air, blowing from the engine side out to the front. Keep the PSI of air fairly low so as not to bend the fragile cooling fins and make sure you don't hit the fins with anything. I hope this helps. John

/ Overheating #6  
Where are you located? There may be a dealer closer than you think.
If the tractor was not new before you got it, it may have been overheated before and at that time done damage. I would do as the others have suggested first and check belt tension etc.
You say higher RPM, but is this RPM under load. Could it be being worked too hard? Just trying to cover all bases. Alot of things can come into play when doing diagnosis "Long Distance".

KO

/ Overheating #7  
Someone mention getting the radiator flushed, this is the best fix. However I would try flushing the radaitor and replace the coolant with shellzone anti-freeze 50/50 mix. I would also suggest that you examine and flush the fins of the raditaor with your garden hose to make sure the radiator is breathing freely. It's a small radiator and can be come overheated if cannot breathe. Checking the fan belt is important also as noted by another gentleman earlier.

Lastly if you are still having problems I might suggest replacing the thermostat it may be bad. If you do replace the thermostat pay attention to inside water ports to determine if they are "limed" up. Lime is well known fo causing overheating problem from poor coolant circulation.

If you have excessive amount of lime buildup I would suggest a de-lime solution with distilled water it will dissolve the lime.

Always use distilled water when changing coolant or replacing loss of coolant.

Best of luck on fixing your overheating problems.

/ Overheating
Thanks for the help. Removed the cover screen and battery and blew out the radiator fins. Tons of junk came out. Runs cool now.

Thanks,

Dr. P /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Overheating #9  
sounds like someone has been doing a lot of mowing !!!
lots of stuff in the radiator.....