Smokes on start-up

/ Smokes on start-up #1  

Truck9

Tractor
Kioti CK20
Purchased a ck20 with Loader, back-hoe, box blade, tiller and post hole digger in late September of this year. I have 52 hrs on it so far with just one problem, a leak in the joystick for the back-hoe (now fixed). So far, it's been a good tractor. The dealer on the other hand has been horrible. I think they just needed to buy two or three tractors to become a "kioti dealer". They sell mostly trailers. Anyway, my tractor will take a little time to start after having been sitting for a day or more. When it does fire-up, it smokes a lot and soon clears up. After it's been run, it starts no problem (no smoke, or very little)......Is this normal???????

/ Smokes on start-up #2  
Truck9,
Are you just letting the glows plugs go until the timer times out or are you giving them more time? If it is starting to get cold at all, you will have to let the glow plugs warm up a little longer. I have a CK20 and the last few mornings its been -10 C or less and if I don't warm the glow plugs for 20 - 30 secs it will usually not start. If it does, there is a lot of unburnt fuel and blue smoke being exhausted. Chokes you up pretty good too if I don't get out of the building too quick.

Steve

/ Smokes on start-up #3  
My CK20 does exactly the same thing if you don't let the glow plugs heat long enough...i usually turn the key and hold till i hear the little "click", then count to 15 or 20...and of course the colder it is, the longer it needs to be warmed...give that a shot...

/ Smokes on start-up
Steve, I turn the key and the glow-plug light comes on. After about 15+ seconds, the light goes out and I turn the key farther to the right to start it. How do you allow the glow plugs to "stay on" longer???????

/ Smokes on start-up #5  
There is a position right before you start the engine that you can turn the key to and the glow plug light will come back on allowing you to manually preheat the engine.

/ Smokes on start-up #6  
My DK 55 is in the shop for heavy smoke at start. They replaced the wire harness with a heavier set per Kioti and glow plugs but it still smokes. I need to get it home as snow is starting to fly around these parts. Any body else out there with a smokin' 55

/ Smokes on start-up #7  
Smoke on startup always seems normal to me.
I've worked around construction equipment, trucks and diesel engines for many years.
Most of these engines really belt out the smoke on startup, but once warmed up they run just fine and for thousands of hours with no problem.
My DK puffs pretty good on startup when I don't run the glowplugs , little to no smoke when I run the glow plugs.
But if it wants to puff some smoke when its cold and first started thats OK with me.

/ Smokes on start-up
Just tried this. It worked!!!...No smoke. You just have to manually hold the key in this position (spring loaded) for the light to come back on. Is there a way to increase the time on the initial glow-plug start-up????...Thanks!!

/ Smokes on start-up #9  
Not sure, but I don't think this is an adjustable time, some day I was going to look into this and maybe add an adjustable timer. It shouldn't be too hard to do.
Truck9, the key should have 5 different position to it,

1. Off - maintained position
2. Accessories - maintained
3. Run - maintained
4. Pre-heat glow plugs - spring returned to Run position
5. Start - spring returned to Run position.

Steve

/ Smokes on start-up #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just tried this. It worked!!!...No smoke. You just have to manually hold the key in this position (spring loaded) for the light to come back on. Is there a way to increase the time on the initial glow-plug start-up????...Thanks!! )</font>

There is no adjusting this timer. That is the reason for the extra position on the switch. Sometimes you can always turn the key to where it will turn the glow plugs on, then turn the key back off and then on again right away for more time, if you do not want to hold the key for extra time.