Opinions Wanted!

/ Opinions Wanted! #1  

Killowatt

Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
I have a new CK20HST on order - to be delivered next Thursday, but you guys are scaring me with this HST no power problem. Should I go try the gear version??

I will be using FEL for snow and dirt/clay work with 60" BBlade and mowing 4 acres in the summer months with 60"MMM. Hope to add BH in the future.
Thanks for your input!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Opinions Wanted! #2  
As for the question about HST versus gear, the hope here is that Getut's machine is a 1 in a million. Although based on the other thead, I suspect there are various levels of HST problems and he has the extreme problem while others may have minor problems and some may have none that they notice. That said if you get a good one, you got a good machine.

Now then the issue is what is better for YOU, a gear or a HST machine? Generally put, HST is more productive (quicker & easier) when doing things like mowing and working a FEL. The Box Blade work would probably be more efficiently accomplished with a gear tractor. Based on what you wrote, you will likely spend more time doing tasks well suited to a HST machine than doing tasks well suited to a gear machine. Realistically either machine will do any task, all are compramises in terms of productivity. I prefer HST for the work I do, but I mow, blow snow, till the garden, and use a PHD & FEL and an HST works great for those tasks . . . occasionally I use a blade. My tasks are better suited to HST and that is why I prefer it. Use tasks as your guide on the type of transmission you choose.

I noticed in your profile that you have 40 acres but your post said mowing 4. I am going to presume you have 40 and 36 of that is NOT going to mowed. If you are working any of that 36, then your tractor choice, in my mind is questionable because it is a tiny tractor. Mind you I think it is a good machine, but a CK20 on 40 acres is at least a superficial mismatch. Now if you are really not working the 36 acres, then its a good fit.

/ Opinions Wanted! #3  
Hello Ken, and welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can understand your concern with your order after reading the discussions about the CK20.

Like Bob said, the decision to go HST or gear is entirely yours. But I'd suggest that since you've already ordered it, wait for it to arrive at your dealers. Then go there and work the heck out of it right then and there. You've read some pretty good examples of the situations that are causing concern for some of the other owners. Replicate these situations the best that you can at the dealers and see how your machine responds. Hopefully, as Bob mentioned, the problem is only in a very few CK20's, and yours will do everything you expect. But by trying it out before accepting it, you'll know. If it doesn't perform, refuse the delivery and order the gear model.

Hope eveything works out for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Opinions Wanted! #4  
As I said in the other thread... "I still wear my Kioti hat" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just test the EXACT ONE that you will be receiving before you take it.

Things to try:
Does it struggle to move over (or not move over at all) a 2" x 4" laying on hard ground (concrete) in high range if move completely up against it first and try to go over it without getting a running start.

Will it turn the tires over if you put the FEL up against an immovable object with the tractor on grass. From reports, most will do this in 4 wheel drive, mine will just barely do it in 2 wheel drive and even then it depends on conditions.

I think they are great machines, but I have a problem with mine. I won't draw final judgment on the situation until I see how they react. I have however started to put some "emphasis" on the situation in my emails to them.

/ Opinions Wanted! #5  
Hey Kilowatt,
I am not an owner but had planned to put money down on a CK20H last Tues. But I did the HST small step climb test (described in the previous thread) and the CK failed the hi range test on a 3" step. It also failed in front of the service manager at the dealer and he did not have a good answer. I also tried the exact test with the Kub7510 and it had no problem whatsoever.

So personally, I held off placing my deposit (too bad for me - I really was ready to buy this tractor - I think it is the best tractor for my needs). But I am scared of this HST performance difference adjacent to a Kubota of similar class.

So I guess I agree with a previous post. Check your tractor out at the dealer before you take it home. The test I tried was to climb a 3" step and it would not do it (see other post). I dont know what the real world impact would be. I realize it is difficult to find realistic test conditions at the dealer, but my experience, combined what I have read from others here at TBN has made me very gun shy.

Considering the sample size posted just here at TBN, we have somewhere around 3 to 6 questionable tractors. Seems to me that is quite a high percentage of the owners who have posted to the forum, certainly not a 6-sigma type quality control percentage expected from normal manufacture.

Good Luck,
let us know what you find. I am also interested to hear how more of the CK20H's perform in real world Lo range work. If you have any questions to my experience at the dealer send me a pm.

/ Opinions Wanted! #6  
I do with my CK20HST about the same things that you are looking to do with yours. I mow about 3 acres with the MMM in the HI range, I pull a 60" tiller in 4x4 low range, and I also pull a TR3 rake in low range 4X4. I am extremely happy with my performance. Make the call while testing at the dealers and go from there.

/ Opinions Wanted! #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But I'd suggest that since you've already ordered it, wait for it to arrive at your dealers. Then go there and work the heck out of it right then and there. You've read some pretty good examples of the situations that are causing concern for some of the other owners. Replicate these situations the best that you can at the dealers and see how your machine responds. Hopefully, as Bob mentioned, the problem is only in a very few CK20's, and yours will do everything you expect. But by trying it out before accepting it, you'll know. If it doesn't perform, refuse the delivery and order the gear model.

Hope eveything works out for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Check it out thoroughly before you accept delivery. Gerard

/ Opinions Wanted! #8  
Hi All! I have been following this forum for some time without joining but I feel compelled to reply to this issue. First let me say lcisled is my brother and between us we have 3 ck20's and a ck30. We also own or operate numerous JD subcompacts. Now on to the question of the hydro power: I personally would not own a compact utility without the hydro feature. Anybody can drive one, they are quick,handy... I wholeheartedly agree the ck20 should be a 25 hp tractor in a ck20 frame. They are a fairly gutless tractor. That said, I also believe if you are having problems with power (hydro or engine power) you bought too small a tractor. I can think of no instance where my ck30 is too big and a ck20 was just right. Power and hydro have never been a problem with this tractor. The issue of a relief spring in the hydro on a ck20 came up in an earlier post and my experience tells me most if not all relief valves are adjusted via shims in the spring pack to basically lengthen the spring incrementally. I also know certain tolerances are built into a hydro to run somewhat under capacity to prevent blowing out the seals in a hydro. If a doggy hydro is a major concern I would make sure your hydro was running right at the top edge of the specified tolerance via the shims in the relief valve. A safer bet would be to buy a bigger tractor. My advice to anyone thinking about purchasing any subcompact would be to seriously consider what you wish to accomplish with this tractor. One final thing I would like to mention: Don't be afraid of a Kioti. They are a great tractor at a good value.

/ Opinions Wanted! #9  
Believe it or not.. I wanted the biggest, strongest tractor I could get but that big strong tractor had to be less than 48" width (the width of my trailer) and the length to fit and move well in both my small 2 stall barn and the shed where it is stored.

Also it had to be maneuverable because mowing is my primary use for it. I say primary, but just barely.

/ Opinions Wanted! #10  
<font color="red"> I can think of no instance where my ck30 is too big </font>

I had one of my tractors up on my porch today to place 4 concrete planters on it. There are brick pillars spaced at about 6' apart, and I didn't even take the furniture off, although I did move it to the side. I guess my point is that sometimes a small tractor is a beautiful thing!

Now as for your observation that a 25hp engine should be shoehorned under the hood of the CK20, that is one that others (myself included) have mentioned. One curious thing about the tractor industry that I notice is that Kioti seems to do things differently. New Holland is upgrading their 21hp to 23hp. They are upgrading their little 24hp to 26hp. Both are the same size as the CK20. John Deere is staring at the upper end of the CUTs and working down in size, but as they are rolling out their new models they are putting higher HP engines in them. Personally I like a small tractor, but I also like a larger engine. That may simply be because I use several PTO driven implements and I want large enough implements to suit my needs.

By the way, I noticed that both you & your brother have not filled out your profiles. It would be helpful to others if you would at least fill in the area of the country you live in & property size.