hydraulic fluid level with hoe/stablizers down

/ hydraulic fluid level with hoe/stablizers down #1  

ccdck20hst

Silver Member
Tractor
1989 Cub Cadet hydro 13/20, 2004, Kioti CK20HST TLB
I am very new at using my tractor. So, to you experienced users these questions that I ask here may seem kinda silly. I have the standard Kioti backhoe (KB2365) on my CK20HST. The owners for the manual for the backhoe states at page 22 that the hydraulic fluid should be checked with "the backhoe should be on the ground and bucket fully retracted (all cylinders in retracted position)." So the bucket is placed on the ground right up close to the tractor before measuring the level of the hydraulic fluid? Should the stabilizers be lowered to the ground too when checking the hydraulic fluid? Just so that I understand if I check the level of the hydraulic fluid with the backhoe in the stored position, (stabilizers up, the bucket suspended in the air folded up agains the tractor) the way I leave it in the garage, the fluid level will read high or low? My experience has been (darn hard to read that dip stick)that with the bucket on the ground and the stabilizers down the reading on the hydraulic fluid stick is lower. With the bucket off the ground and the stabilizers up my reading seems to be higher and at the top range of full (or maybe just a tad over) on the dip stick than a reading taken with the bucket on the ground and the stabilizers down. Is more hydraulic fluid stored inside the cylinders of the backhoe and stabilizers when the bucket and the stabilizers are on the ground, and taken away from the place where the hydraulic fluid is measured? I just want to know to make sure I am keeping my hydraulic fluid at the proper level. Charlie

/ hydraulic fluid level with hoe/stablizers down #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is more hydraulic fluid stored inside the cylinders of the backhoe and stabilizers when the bucket and the stabilizers are on the ground, and taken away from the place where the hydraulic fluid is measured? )</font>

Yes,
If the boom and stabilizers are on the ground some transmission fluid will be stored in the cylinders.
Just lift the boom and stabilizers to check the fluid and you will be fine.
I usually don't even worry about that.
When I go to use my tractor and the boom is on the ground, I just check the oil. If it's somewhere between the lines thats close enough for me !!

/ hydraulic fluid level with hoe/stablizers down #3  
Actually I believe it is more of a safety issue . The rams will have the same amount of oil in them weather they are extended or retracted . At least with a 2 way ram anyway . I would agree if I was using a one way ram, but a backhoe does not have that type of ram . As Vince said , I also just make sure the hyd. level is within the marks on the dip stick
Big Al

/ hydraulic fluid level with hoe/stablizers down #4  
One way has the total area of a cylinder inside of it taking up the space for the fluid, (the ram). Retracted it will have less fluid in it than it will extended.

KO