4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #1  

tallur4me

Tractor
DK45C
I have a new DK45C with 12 hours that I find very difficult to change from 4 wheel drive back to 2 wheel. The push pull stick does not want to pull back up when engaged in 4 wheel drive. Any suggestions?
J D

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #2  
First, lubricate the linkage with WD40 or, I prefer, PB Blaster. Just follow the linkage under the tractor and spray the heck out of all of it. While you're under the body looking, have someone move the lever for you so you can trace the path.
It should be much easier to do afterward. Sometimes it's necessary to move the tractor either a little forward or backward also and then try changing. If you have a loader, and it still sticks some after spraying, lift the front just a bit and then change it.
If it's really too hard after that, have your dealer look at it as something is not right. John

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( difficult to change from 4 wheel drive back to 2 wheel )</font>

Not an unusual problem at all. You can usually get the stick to pull back easily one of two ways: back up a bit, perhaps even turning the steering wheel, or tilt the FEL bucket forward, lower it to the ground, and lift the front wheels. Either way should relieve the "wind up" pressure or tension on the gears and let it shift out easily and smoothly.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #4  
<font color="blue"> The push pull stick does not want to pull back up when engaged in 4 wheel drive. Any suggestions? </font>

My CK20 does the same thing sometimes. I just move a little bit in either direction and she slips right in/out.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #5  
One other thing to check, is to make sure the tires on each side have the same air pressure. slight diameter differences can make it difficult to disengage.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #6  
I have a new CK30. It's a little stiff even after lubing all the linkage points but it's getting better the more times it's shifted. It reminds me of an old 4WD truck I had. It's all gears and with pressure on them, it's hard. The trick I used with the truck works great with the CK. Similar to what KiotiJohn, Bird, and GerardC suggested. Move it slightly or barely slip the clutch for a second in the opposite direction. You don't need much. Just enough to relieve the tension on the gears. Sometimes, moving the shift control the last second before the tractor stops rolling works. Have fun with the new DK45.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel
Thanks for the ideas from all who responded. I will try some to see which work the best.
J D

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the ideas from all who responded. I will try some to see which work the best. J D )</font>

Let us know how you make out.

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel
I finally go around to trying the suggested solutions to the 4 wheel drive engaement/disengagement. Lifted the front wheels off the ground with the FEL and PRESTO the lever was easy to pull. Thanks for the suggestions.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
J D

/ 4 Wheel Drive Difficult to Change to 2 Wheel #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I finally go around to trying the suggested solutions to the 4 wheel drive engaement/disengagement. Lifted the front wheels off the ground with the FEL and PRESTO the lever was easy to pull. Thanks for the suggestions.J D )</font>
make sure you also use the PB Blaster on the linkage, and reposition the tractor, you may not have to lift it.
Glad to hear it's working well.
John