near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #1  

GeorgeW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-45
near 50 hrs.?\'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45

Getting close to the 50 hr service mark on my DK45. This is the first diesel of any kind that I have owned. I have browsed through the different forums and have gotten a lot of info but not much specifically on Kioti. So, I have a few questions.

1. What kind of oil comes in a new Kioti? Synthetic or?

2. Most people that I know around here are using either Rotella or Delo 400 in their tractors. Are these good choices or is their something else I should consider? The owner with the newest tractor is a 10 yr old Kubota.

3. Does WIX, Fram, etc. have filters for DK45? I have visited several sites and found nothing. WIX has a Kioti listing but nothing for the DK45.

4. How about the HydroTrans fluid? The local Chevron distributor has one called THF1000 that he recommends. Costs about $70 for 10 gallons. Other recommendations?

5. Are there differences in the 90 wt. gear oil for the front axle? Would the TSC or WalMart brand , for example, be less, more, or about the same quality as a name brand?

6. Should I just go back to the dealer and get everything there? It's about a 120 mile round trip, and it would be more convenient to get this stuff locally.

Thanks in advance for your input.

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #2  
Re: near 50 hrs.?\'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45

1) I doubt it's synthetic.

2) I use Rotella 15w-40 in my CK20. A lot of folks on TBN use it too.

3) Best way is to bring your existing filter(s) in so they can match 'em up.

4) I use TSC's Travellers brand.

5) I think I bought my 80-90 weight oil at Wal*Marts, but will have to double check my receipts.

6) That's up to you. Definitely easier and cheaper if you do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #3  

This is probably one of the most important services after break-in.
1&2. Dealer said it's not synthetic. Just use a good quality diesel engine oil. He suggested Rotella 15w40.
3. Filters are tough. I found a Fram listing at TSC for an engine oil filter. Took it out of the box and it's different than the one on my CK30. You might be better off to have the dealer send you the filters until better cross listings are available.
4. My dealer uses Pennzoil Hydra-Trans. I can get it for $36/five gallon bucket at TSC. It's supposedly a multi grade oil. Recommended for many of the major tractor companies.
5. I always go for a brand name. Usually not that much different in price. The cheaper ones sometimes are missing a few of the good additives.
6. No need to drive two hours. I would just have him send you the filters, (cheaper than the gas you'd use), use a good quality diesel engine oil and gear lube, and if that THF1000 hydra-fluid also works in many of the other tractor lines, you're good to go.
My dealer told me to stop down and pick up the first set of filters for free. I'm sure it was added in the price and isn't really a freebee. Someone else had posted a while ago that their first service was free. Filters and oil with labor.

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #4  

Usually come with hydro fluid in the front axle, but replace it with 90 weight gear oil. Hydraulic Transmission fluids of most types are adequate, but good ones have been named, and I use either Warren AW68 or any of the 303 made by JD and other names.

Either contact your dealer to ship them to you, or contact my dealer who will be happy to ship to you the filters as they are not really terribly expensive, and you'll be keeping within warranty with no questions if you're using their filters.

My dealer's name is Dave Williams, bradford@bigtractorsupply.com
Tell him I sent you and that I said he's give you a 10% discount. I'll take it up with him later! LOL

Don't forget to clean off the metal shavings from the magnetic plug on the main transmission!
John

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45

Thanks, all, for your responses. I feel better about getting this locally, but will get filters from dealer. No one around here has heard of Kioti it seems.

Hopefully I will be going near my dealer in the next week or two to pick up a new trailer. Then when the next change comes around maybe there will be good cross references for Kioti.

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #6  

George,
My DK 35 uses the same oil filter as the DK 45
The Wix oil filter # is 51182 (Napa #1182).
I've been using a Napa 1324 oil filter because its just a bit shorter than the 1182 .
On my DK 35 I run
Napa #1324 oil filter
Rotella-T 5W-40 synthetic motor oil
80-90 Weight gear oil in the front axle
Heavy duty tractor transmission/hydraulic oil.
So far I'm still using Kioti Fuel, air and hydraulic filters

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45

Thanks, Vince, for the oil filter no. I will check it out.

My manual states that current models have a re-usable hydraulic filter, that can be taken apart, recleaned and reassembled. Other than a note that says care must be taken not to damage the inner screens no other instructions are given on how to clean the filter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

George

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My manual states that current models have a re-usable hydraulic filter, that can be taken apart, recleaned and reassembled. Other than a note that says care must be taken not to damage the inner screens no other instructions are given on how to clean the filter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

My DK 35 is a 2001 model and uses a spin on hydraulic filter.
MY JD 850 uses a screen for the hydraulic oil. I just remove the screen, clean it up in a parts wash bin or spray it with some brake clean , get out any small metal fragments in the screen/reinstall.

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My manual states that current models have a re-usable hydraulic filter, that can be taken apart, recleaned and reassembled. Other than a note that says care must be taken not to damage the inner screens no other instructions are given on how to clean the filter. )</font>
I would clean it with naptha or some other quick evaporating cleaner as you don't want residue getting into your hydraulic system. I have always cleaned the screens, and then used medium PSI air to blow out all the liquid and dry it, reassemble and reinstall.
Don't use diesel or gas to clean it. My opinion.
John

/ near 50 hrs.?'s about oil, fluids, filters on DK45 #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My manual states that current models have a re-usable hydraulic filter, that can be taken apart, recleaned and reassembled. Other than a note that says care must be taken not to damage the inner screens no other instructions are given on how to clean the filter. )</font>

I believe that you found a typo in the manual. Your tractor will have a replaceable hyd element. It is a spin on style. No cleaning can be done on it.