Moving bales

/ Moving bales #1  

98_TBS

Tractor
Kioti CK25
Hi folks. Just turned 19 hrs. on the new CK25. Mostly hauling and composting manure, tilling, and mowing and lovin' every minute of it. Now the wife starts thinking: It has been getting harder and harder to find someone to put up our hay in square bales and find hay crews to put it up. And now that we have a tractor we could just go to round bales, right? Looks like the lift capacity is plenty (we're talking 400 -500 pound bales) but Kioti doesn't list bale spears for the KL-130 FEL. Anyone know of other options? We are just looking to move the bales once they are put up, not cut and bale; but it looks like we should already have "bought up". Knew it would happen sooner or later.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

Idaho

/ Moving bales #2  
I think you may be right, you should have "bought up." Now someone else may be able to tell you better, but I've always heard you need a good sized tractor to move those round bales, and even LARGER to to the haying.
That said though, you can buy a quick attach plate for the loader from ATI, and Horst Implements as I understand it. You could then purchase a bale spear for the tractor. I'm just not sure how much lift capacity you'll lose using the QA plate and spear, and how far out it would then be on the arms, once again, losing some lift capacity.
What a shame you didn't get the DK45. I'm sure you'd be able to do it with that tractor!
Maybe someone will be able to give a better answer about your requirements.
John

/ Moving bales #3  
What size round bales are you going to be lifting? Most of the smaller bales weigh about 900 or more. Wet or dry also makes a big difference. We have a guy moving around small round bales with a DK35 and doing it very easy. Now he doesn't lift them high, probably only about a foot. I would think you would be using the CK30 to its limits for a round bale. John hit the nail on the head about the DK45 being a better size for lifting bales.

/ Moving bales #4  
I can tell you that the DK45 with QA and 1590 loader can lift the round bales; however when you get in the 4 x 5 or 5 x 6 size you are going to find that you do not have enough roll back to keep the bale on the spear when going down hill. I moved one of each size today and the 5 x 6 came off the spike two times, the 4 x 5 only had to be lowered and re-spiked once.
You have plenty of up lift just not enough roll back.
/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifJ D /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Moving bales #5  
I haven't done it, but......
I've seen my neighbor move large round bales with a small tractor and a 3 point hitch bale spear. Your CK25 should lift 1700+ with the TPH, according to Kioti web site.
I checked on TSC web site and couldn't find bale spear, but I know I've seen them somewhere. A good welder could build one, I'd think.
Maybe not perfect solution, but one that will let you use your current equipment for moving bales!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards, Killowatt

/ Moving bales
Thanks to all who have responded. The neighbor who is doing the cutting and baling typically puts up 450-500 lb bales. It seems like there may be several options to try before resorting to buynig a newer/larger tractor (don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed). I was thinking last night that even if we can't pick 'em up with Kim Chi (my wife names all of our vehicles) we could probably roll them around with a tooth bar on the FEL.

That seems to be the great thing about tractoring; you don't know what you can do until you try.

Thanks again.

Idaho