Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #1  

Maineiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
LB1914
Gentlemen;
I am very happy with my new tractor, but being limited to 10mph has its disadvantages. So I'm looking into a trailer. According to specs, this machine with loader and hoe weighs around 3700lbs.
Do I need brakes on both axles of the trailer? Should I be looking for anything special for a trailer, or special features? Any other tips or warnings?
Thanks in advance.

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #2  
Brakes on both are a plus, go longer than you think you need and up a size in weight capacity from what you think you need.

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #3  
Tandem axles are a must, as are 4 brakes in my opinion. Park the tractor with the FEL down and HOE at a suitable "rest" position, then measure the overall length. Take that number and add 2-4 feet (for balancing) and this is the size trailer you'll need.

Remember you'll need to chain the tractor in four (4) places and also chain all attachments separately. Grade 70 chain is the ONLY legal binder chain (gold anodized). I would also recommend ratchet style binders over the "boomer" style, because they are more stable.

You have several thousand dollars worth of equipment there, don't go cheap now with $10 worth of "farmer" chain or worse those silly little nylon straps.

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( don't go cheap now with $10 worth of "farmer" chain or worse those silly little nylon straps. )</font>

Hehehe.. so I guess you're telling me I shouldn't trailer my CK20 with my one chain from the FEL and one from the back implement just to keep it from rolling back and forth. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #5  
Your weight estimate places you fine on a 7000lb dual axle trailer. Remember when you look at trailer weight, it is not actual load. My 7000lb trailer weighs 1600lbs to begin with; I have a load capacity of 5400lbs.

Make sure you get a spare tire; it is an addition on on most trailers. I am fortunate I have never had a flat on either trailer. I have spare on both though...
Install a good brake controller first...

Make sure your tow vehicle is up to the task. If you put that on my trailer, it'd be running 5300lbs just the tractor and trailer by themselves...

There has been lots of discussion here about trialers, chains, binders, straps and such lately. Review that stuff. You need binders at each corner of you trailer minimum. Your state may require chain/binder across the loader and the backhoe too...

Make sure you have plenty of chain points on the trailer.

I use mine to haul lumber, firewood, ect. It is really nice to have rope hooks for tying knots and hitches.

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #6  
<font color="blue"> Grade 70 chain is the ONLY legal binder chain (gold anodized). </font> Didn't the recent changes by the DOT to a W.L.L. on chain change this?

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #7  
Hey Maineiac,
If you are located in Maine as your username suggests, then I can tell you that our state requires brakes on all axles on any trailer over 3000 lbs GVW. I have been looking at trailers myself, and have found that there are some dealers buying stuff out of state that do not meet these requirements, so be careful.

Glenn

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested
Thanks MaineHowler and to everyone else as well. Good and useful advice. I now feel like I have some idea what I'm doing.

/ Trailering A Tractor (LB1914 TLB) Advice Requested #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gentlemen;
I am very happy with my new tractor, but being limited to 10mph has its disadvantages. So I'm looking into a trailer. According to specs, this machine with loader and hoe weighs around 3700lbs.

Do I need brakes on both axles ?
<font color="red"> Y E S </font>

Should I be looking for anything special for a trailer, or special features? Any other tips or warnings?
Thanks in advance. )</font>