SURPRISE!!

/ SURPRISE!! #1  

DirtHauler

Gold Member
Tractor
" '06" Kioti CK30 2015 Mahindra 2555 shuttle 2019 Massey 1760M
Did my first full service on my CK20 @ 54 hrs. When I pulled the trans drain plug, I found this stuck to the magnet.
Think I should be concerned? Called Kioti NC service dept., explained what I had found, guess what they said.........
"It was probably dropped in there when it was being assembled" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Told him about the wear mark on it, like a gear or bearing, his responce; "It was probably on the floor and ran over with a fork lift, the use them when they assemble tractors" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I think my right leg is alot longer now! The finale answer when asked if I should worry about running it..........." Run it till it breaks, then we'll fix it under warrenty" Ummmmm, wonder if Kioti has a loaner program? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 655882-Snap ring.JPG
    655882-Snap ring.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 797
   / SURPRISE!! #2  
Keep an eye on it. If there is any ANY strange noise, shut it down and call the dealer.

/ SURPRISE!! #3  
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI can't figure out for sure just what that is, but it appears to me to be a piece of a snap ring, so I'm wondering just what, if anything, is held together inside that engine with a snap ring. If it were me personally, I'd sure want to see illustrated parts and service manuals to see if I couldn't figure out where it came from, or at least satisfy myself that no such pieces are used inside that engine.

/ SURPRISE!! #4  
The piece on the left looks like a broken snap ring or retaining ring. That ring would probably hold a bearing or some other gear to a shaft. If I found that, I would have it looked at immediately.

/ SURPRISE!! #5  
That piece of ring came from the transmission. I would be concerned about that.

/ SURPRISE!! #6  
I'll second the snap ring, and I've never heard of one being used "during assembly". Yes, one may have been dropped during an earlier assembly, but the response sounds pretty hooky to me [the vicous thing is sometimes things retained by snaprings can run fine for a long time with it gone].

Don't mean to worry you, but if you can't get an illustration, I'd really be keeping the ears open.

/ SURPRISE!! #7  
I don't agree with the way the guy at the dealer handled it. But that is what they make warranties for.

Your are going to have a rough time getting the dealer to do anything if there are no symptoms. It will probably have to break before they will look at it. I would make sure it is documented with the dealer that you advised them of this. It could help on down the road.

I do find it unlikely that the piece miraculously found it's way into the trans case on it's own going down the assembly line. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ SURPRISE!! #8  
PS. I would bet my last dollar that the warranty specifically excludes loaners or any other collateral damage. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ SURPRISE!! #9  
Do you have a geared or hst trans? Really doesn't matter which one. Those snap rings are used to hold bearings in the case and in some cases a gear to a shaft. I suspect the other 2/3 is still in there somewhere. They usually don't break unless overstressed during installation. Stop by the dealer, and it shouldn't take much to find where it is located by looking at a parts manual for that model. If it in fact breaks completly Kioti would probably have to replace the whole trans instead of repairing this one. And with the low hours, you may want to persue that route anyway.

/ SURPRISE!! #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( came from the transmission )</font>

Yeah, and I just realized I said "engine" instead of "transmission", but either way, I'd sure want to see the parts and service manuals.