Broken ROPS tightening screws

/ Broken ROPS tightening screws #1  

getut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
Well, It finally happened. I got so tired of tightening up the ROPS tightening screws every 5 minutes during use that I started just leaving them and letting the ROPS rattle.
Well the effect this had over time was it bent the ends of the bolts down at a small angle and broke one of them off. I broke the plastic part off the other end trying to back them out. Now I have 2 bolts with the plastic handle broke off and no way to get them out. I think they are far too tight for easy outs to bring them out of the hole, especially considering a big pipe wrench couldnt get a good enough grip to get them out.

Currently I just have a wooden wedge driven down in each side to stop the rattling... and it is working better than the bolts ever did.

/ Broken ROPS tightening screws #2  
Pull the pivot pin out and remove the ROPS, then you should be able to screw them out the back side. If they're not too tight a drill might screw them out, other wise use an easy out from the back side. I took mine out and put them in the tool box, it doesn't rattle, or I don't notice.

/ Broken ROPS tightening screws #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Currently I just have a wooden wedge driven down in each side to stop the rattling... and it is working better than the bolts ever did. )</font>

that's too funny...I had the same thing happen to mine over a year ago, I had to hacksaw what was left of the old bolts out and I also use a wood wedge to keep the ROPS from rattling!

sounds like something that could use some improving...

/ Broken ROPS tightening screws #4  
Yep, I think this is a common occurrence on the CK20. I haven't even bothered to put a wedge in, but plan to ONE day when I get irritated by the rocking!
John