Trailering the CK 30 TLB

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #1  

grdngrrl

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Ok guys, I can answer my own questions now in reference to trailering the CK30TLB. I would NOT want to carry another pound after having given this a trial run! The trailer brakes on the rear axle performed well along with the GMCs but I'd hate to try a panic stop with this setup. I backed the tractor onto the trailer. 5 ft ramps are a tad too short and the bottom of the hoe frame at the swing pivot made contact with the back edge of the trailer but was not severe enough to prevent continued backing. The balance point on my 16' tandem with about half of the trucks rear springs compressed from tongue weight still left some room to back on further and left the FEL bucket extend beyond the back of the trailer by about 18" If I were to get another flat bed I would get brakes on both axles and up grade to 5000 pounds instead of the 3500's. I may be able to just replace the undercarrage and shift the spring shackles foreward a few inches to allow a better positioning of this tractor. The trailer chassis is mighty stout otherwise.
The GMC .5 ton, 350 CID V8 has enough gusto to pull ok but I never got up enough speed to lock in the torque converter and more'n likely it'd be constantly unlocking with the slightest depression of the accellerator pedal. . A 3/4 ton with four speed tranny and granny final drive would be a better puller. I'll wait and see how much trailering I'll be doing...want to buy some impliments first!

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #2  
I pull my CK30 with a 1 ton Dodge Cummins on a 16' trailer. I'm in the process of upgrading to a 20' trailer with brakes on both axles. I can pull it great, stopping is another deal and I don't have a BH. 1/2 ton trucks are pretty useless for towing any kind of weight safely. My land is 75 miles from home, so I tow my rig quite a bit. This tractor stuff is like buying a Harley, the bike/tractor is only the beginning of spending money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #3  
Red Rocker:

Have you tried different front brake pads on the truck. A severe duty version like is used on ambulaces will make a difference.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #4  
I'll look into that, every little bit helps. My trailer brakes aren't all that great, only have them on one axle. When I put the Big Foot camper on the truck and the tractor on the trailer, it's quite a load.

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #5  
I've trailered my CK30HST with FEL on a borrowed 18 ft. 7000 lb gross trailer with electric brakes on both axles. After setting the brake controller up for the weight, I never knew it was back there as far as stopping. I have a Ford 250 SD with a V10, auto trans. Comes out of overdrive for the hills but otherwise pulls fine. From some reading and talking to a few trailer manufactures, brakes on all axles is the best. Commercial trailers are required by law to have brakes on all axles. You should be able to add brakes to the other axle. The flanges should be there welded to the axle. All you would need is some parts unless your going to get another trailer.

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #6  
RedRocker

Sounds like our conditions are just about the same. 9.5 Bigfoot and tow a 10K lowboy with cargo box. 96 extended cab 4x4 with auto and cumins diesel.

Egon

/ Trailering the CK 30 TLB #7  
Victor, my trailer is 16' with 3500lb axles. I really need a 20 foot and at least 5 or 6K axles, so I don't want to spend the money for the extra brakes, I'd rather put the cash toward a bigger rig.
Egon, yep, 10.6 Foot and a 97 Dodge, either pulling the Jeep or the tractor. It's a pretty good load with either one of those on the back.