Grading box blade or scraper/grader blade?

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #1  

TractorLegend

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 DK 45HST SE w/ FEL
I had a guy with huge excavator remove stumps, a big rock, and drag a container I bought to a spot where I needed it on my 5 acre lot. I haven't seen his results yet but knowing I have the CK30HST/ fel ----he left the "finish" work for me, since he's overloaded with work prepping homesites. Likely smoothing holes and moving some dirt around.
The dirt there is not compacted much anywhere.
I also have about 1-1500 feet of steepish gravel driveway to maintain.
The tractor guy thinks I should get the rear 72" grader blade and turn the blade around on its mounting so its not cutting but just fluffing.
But I wonder about a box blade considering all??
Havent used either on a CUT before.
Whats your input??

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #2  
Just my opinion, but for that type of work I would prefer a boxblade.
For driveway maintainance and grade work I use my boxblade far more than I do my backblade/scraper blade.

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #3  
I have both. I have not used the scraper blade in years. The boxblade gets used for everything. Landscaping, leveling stone for the driveway.

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #4  
I have both. These implements are not easy to use, especially on a drive way. For the box blade its necessary to get the angle right or else you will pick up to much material. Even then you have to constantly monitor and lift the blade or else you will add to the holes rather than getting the desired finish. For the rear blade it will rise as you go over a bump therefore doesnt do too much unless you are really prepared to let it dig in. Probably pushing is better but then you have to consider the strain on the hook up etc. In other words it takes a lot of practice to get the results.

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #5  
You may want to ask the moderators to move this into the ATTACHMENTS forum, you will get a much wider response as this is not specific to any brand of tractor.

I have 2 box blades and 1 scraper blade and find they are best used for different tasks. But for smoothing the ground and filling in the holes on already loose soil, you might find a Landscape Rake better suited for the task. I use a LR after the box blade and it really does a nice job of leveling out the bumps into a smooth surface.

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #6  
I'm with Bob on the LR. When I bought my tractor,I thought I would need a BB to level my pot holed driveway (1300 ft.) but the LR really did the job. It helps to have several inches of crushed stone on top. I'll post some pics.

Tony

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #7  
I orderd a Woods HB 84 Box Blade and a Landpride eight foot Rake with dual wheels today. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My pocket book is much lighter but I'm looking forward to some quilty seat time /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #8  
I have to say that I've read many posts where the poster stated that he/she had not used his/her rear blade much at all after buying a boxblade. The boxblade is so much more versatile, capable of doing many other jobs.
For fixing potholes, which normally should be ripped out completely before reforming, the boxblade's rippers are great. Yes, it takes some experimenting for most folks to get the hang of it, learning just how to adjust the top link (multiple times usually) to get things all level, but it's worth it in the finished jobs.
John

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #9  
I know if I ran a BB down my driveway,I'd have many of the foundation rocks at the surface. It really depends on the material. My drive has a top layer of 1-1/2 " of crushed stone and that's all I want to move around to fill in potholes.I've done enough rock picking in my life. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ box blade or scraper/grader blade? #10  
Can the box blade be used to make a ditch along the driveway? It seems to me that the blade would work better. What I need to do is dig these ditches out and take down the high spots at the edge of the roadway. Which would be better to to this? sorry for highjacking your thread.
Rich