Day of ck30hst brush hogging

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging #1  

Highbeam

Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
So I went back to the dealer to pick up the Rankin 5 foot brush hog. It was their standard duty hog at about 600#s. I hitched my first 3 pt implement without a "hitch", bad humor there. The telescopic links were great. I tightened up the top link so that it wouldn't drag as I climbed onto my trailer.

Got to the site and unloaded. I parked on a nice level spot and set the hog down and adjusted everything for a 4-6" cut. I then adjusted the stop on the position control so that I could just throw it down and go without looking. Then I shut the engine off and and greased everything up. I also checked the lube level in the hog which was right on.

Ear muffs on and engine warm. I engaged the PTO and let out the clutch. That's a great system. Then raised the rpms to about 2300. Nice and quiet, smooth. The pto shaft doesn't turn all that quickly. The slip clutch I had installed on the hog means I don't need to stop for shear pins.

So I took off across the field of maybe 18" high sparse fescue. Dead from no irrigation and a hot summer. I looked back and everything was short. Great, lets throw it in medium range. A quick stop, clutch, and shift made sure everything stayed spun up.

After about 4 hours of easy field mowing work I went into the semi-forested areas where I ran the dozer through to scrape the larger slash into piles. There are a few stumps that I left tall, fescue, saplingsand, blackberries, and chunks of wood on the uneven ground. I just started into this area in low range, nice and easy around the stumps but through everything else. Now that hog is working. The hog would beat up chunks of wood and level the ground. As I progressed, the area behind me was smooth and low. Lots of dust now, my eyes are burning. This thing is kicking butt.

I heeded warnings that this hog can kick some mean pieces of shrapnel with quite high velocity so after I mowed half of the area I moved the truck/trailer to the mowed area. Holy smokes, it wasn't long after that that I kicked a baseball sized rock several hundred feet out the back. I first heard the bang and then looked to see this thing skipping along in a safe direction. It did not hit the truck but I fully believe that the rock would have gone through the door if I was very close at all. Lesson learned.

I was then gettting into some thick brush that was pokey so I thought I would try backing into it. Worked pretty well so I kept doing this in two ways. Either lift the hog, back up, and lower the hog or just back into the brush. Well eventually I backed into something that resisted moving enough that I bent the steel arm of the hog with the lower link arm. Now the pin isn't straight and the hog doesn't travel right behind me. Doh!, will have to replace that.

Eventually the daylight started to dwindle so I pulled up beside the trailer. I disengaged the PTO and idled the engine to cool it. While idling I walked around cleaning debris from various parts of the tractor and hog so that they wouldn't fly off while on the road. The hog side skirts were pretty beat up and bulging some but no breaks. Then I looked at that stupid low hanging tie rod. Yep, that bugger was bent like a smiley face. I never even felt an impact. It looks like I snagged a stump, rock, or branch that somehow bent it back. Doh!, I'll have to replace that. Maybe I'll buy two since they seem to be a major weakspot. It's one thing if I can learn from a mistake, another if I don't even know how it happened.

So I hope to call the dealer this morning to order some 100$ of parts so that I can keep hogging.

I thank my stars I selected an HST tractor. Slowing suddenly, changing directions, stopping, and ease of use were superior with the HST. Way cool.

All in all, I am very happy with how the tractor ran this implement and with what the implement did to the land. The brush hog/tractor combo is a required clearing tool in my eyes. With the heavy brush type work, the CK30 was working to spin the 5' hog. I wouldn't have wanted a 6 footer.

I hope to be able to work this tractor in the future without spending an equal amount of time fixing it. Operator error is mostly the reason this time.

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging #2  
<font color="red"> I kicked a baseball sized rock several hundred feet out the back. I first heard the bang and then looked to see this thing skipping along in a safe direction. It did not hit the truck but I fully believe that the rock would have gone through the door if I was very close at all. Lesson learned. </font>

I was hogging my neighbor's field with an old Oliver a few years ago and I learned the hard way when I went over a modest size piece of plywood, it few like a frizzbee out the back and I just prayed it would land safely instead of sailing off into the sunset. Amazing how a rotary cutter can find previously unseen debris and fling it frighteningly long distances!

<font color="red"> Then I looked at that stupid low hanging tie rod. Yep, that bugger was bent like a smiley face. </font>

Bummer! Seems to me there are couple other reports of this. But probably none on a BRAND NEW tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Can you pound it out to get it straight again?

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging
Buddy, I removed the tie rod to discover it is a solid piece of steel bent pretty sharply. I had to pop one tie rod end off and ripped the boot so add that to the list. I tried and tried to bend it straight with brute force. I marked the thread depth and then clamped it in a vice for a beating but couldn't get it to go. I didn't heat it though. Don't think I'll try that. Seems they are cheap to order and that I'll just order two. Same with the hog hitch bars. Maybe a mahine shop can bend it straight. Perhaps I'll do that and keep this bent one as a spare.

Another thing to add. My battery is juicing. I noticed it was wet around the battery and after tons of dusty work could see where the acid was either splashing or boiling out the top of the battery. I made sure to hose out the entire underhood area but this could cause some serious corrosion. My truck has an optima gel type battery and if the tractor one died then it would get one too but I wanted to wait for it to die.

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging #4  
hey highbeam, thats a great story!!

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging #5  
Wow, it must be one tough piece of steel if you can't beat it back into shape!

<font color="red">
Another thing to add. My battery is juicing. I noticed it was wet around the battery and after tons of dusty work could see where the acid was either splashing or boiling out the top of the battery. I made sure to hose out the entire underhood area but this could cause some serious corrosion. My truck has an optima gel type battery and if the tractor one died then it would get one too but I wanted to wait for it to die. </font>

New Holland had a problem with battery corrosion on their TC class tractors. It seemed to affect a few of their models in model year 2002 (I'm pretty sure it was '02) but hasn't been a reported problem for the past couple years. I've not heard of it on other CK30 machines so hopefully yours is just an isolated issue. I would presume the warrenty should cover that?

At least you are having fun with the new tractor! Do you miss the dozer?

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging
I don't really miss the dozer. I was done with it and the jobs to do don't require it so I don't miss it. Everyone should own or operate a bulldozer during their life. It allows you to respect big iron and appreciate what humans can build. I was glad to sell it to a good home without ever having to put a ton of money into it.

The battery was pretty drippy. Maybe too full from the factory and I sloshed some acid out. So it might be done now. By the way, battery acid burns like the fires of hades when it comes in contact with an open wound on your fingers.

The tie rod is tough but also pretty akward and when you bend it pretty sharply the steel gets harder to put back. Also, the bend is near the one end with threads so I am trying not to smash the threads closed. I could probably try again with two rounds of firewood and a sledgehammer for hard blows instead of a vice and slow force with a lever.

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging #7  
I was fortunate enough to heed the voluminous advice on TBN to always scout your hogging area with the FEL if you aren't familiar with that area. The BX has exposed PS rams and no belly protection while the hog has no heart and will try to destroy everything in it's path. I'm sure I have saved hundreds of dollars and lots of repair time using that technique.

/ Day of ck30hst brush hogging #8  
I bought a "cheapo" bush hog and did some customizing to it. All I was interested in was the basics and a 75hp gear box. I got that and built a complete frame around it using 3/8" wall 2X2 square tubing. I used 3 complete 20' sticks of the tubing. I also added a slip clutch in line to the gear box. Now it weighs about 1600 pounds and I use it as a battering ram. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If I can push it over with a 7000 pound tractor, I can chop it up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The good part is that I now only have $950 on my bush hog. I still need to weld several chain links on the back for a shield, but otherwise, it's ready for war. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif