kioti warranty

/ kioti warranty #1  

headachers

Tractor
KIOTI DK35
recently had control valve assembly replaced on kb2375 backhoe under warranty,unit was leaking off ,anyway seems to have helped but still leaks off just not as fast . I received a bill from dealer for $75,total labor chg. was $275. for labor 2.5 hrs for trouble shooting system 3 hrs. for changing valve.kioti will only pay a flat rate of $200 to dealer hince bal. billed to me,kioti said that is between myself & dealer , i think this should be between kioti & dealer. This is not the dealer i bought unit from , he has went out fo business, but over the last six month's i have spent $700 + with dealer that did the warranty work . If kioti or myself doesn't pay dealer , they probably won't work on my equippment again under warranty or if they do out fo warranty work for me i'm sure they will make up the $75 than . So do i eat $75 or lose my adopted dealer , next dealer to me is 70 miles away. what would you do. thanks , all comments welcome . Jim

/ kioti warranty #2  
It may sound bad, but if this dealer doesn't charge you, he may go the way of your selling dealer. He can't give work away, someone has to pay. Troubleshooting is the worse thing when paying for warranty work. The dealership is paid for the work, but it is assumed they already knew what the problem was and that they didn't have to troubleshoot to find it.

/ kioti warranty #3  
That's a tough one. I thought a warranty was a warranty, but time is money for the dealer,too. You hope that the troubleshooting phase of the repair was done efficiently, but if the dealer knows he's going to charge you for anything beyond the $200, it makes you wonder.
I think I'd pay the extra $75 to preserve goodwill. It's not that much money and it may save you money later if you need work done.

/ kioti warranty #4  
Wow! I have this issue with my dentist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The insurance only covers so much and I have to make up the difference...however this is the contract I have with him so I understand it going in (and he isn't associated with my insurance carrier in any way).

My car is another story. The manufacturer only pays the dealer a set amount to fix the problem. They look it up in the book and that is what they charge. If it takes them four extra hours they only get what the manufacturer pays and they don't try to back bill me for the difference (I've had a LOT of warranty work done).

Is this this the normal practice for tractor dealers? For Kioti dealers?

/ kioti warranty #5  
<font color="blue"> Is this this the normal practice for tractor dealers? </font>
It is to a very large extent. If they don't pass the over run on to the customer, they (the dealer) have to absorb it. It may have very well been absorbed by this gentleman dealer if they had been the selling dealer. That is one of the reasons that we as a group can't bilk every single cent out of our dealers on ever purchase. That is also why long distant dealers can charge you a lot less than your local dealer.

/ kioti warranty
What is most disturbing to me is the lack of interest of my ordeal from kioti after spending 26k for kioti equip. $75 is not a big deal, at the same time a warranty is a warranty & a $6000 attachment (bh) with approx. 20 hrs. of use should last a bit longer than it did before needing repair ,but on the other hand it did happen before warranty expired . Is the labor ,5.5 hrs. to troubleshoot & repair about right? thanks, jim

/ kioti warranty #7  
I thought the whole point of a warranty was to pay for repairs. Seems kinda strange to pay extra, where do you draw the line, what if it took 4 hours to diagnose? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ kioti warranty #8  
I'd reluctantly pay it. You bring up a good point, the valve certainly should have lasted longer than that. All you did was buy a product and all the dealer did was repair a manufacturers defect and the dealer is in the middle

this situation is a PERFECT example of how a manufacturer and dealers can loose customers if not handled properly

/ kioti warranty #9  
Diagnostic is not really covered by warranty.
It all depends on the experience of the tech.
A lessor trained/equipped guy may take 12hrs to diagnose and repair, a very well trained/equipped guy 1hr.
If you are well trained, you can make money!
If not it is up to you as a dealer/mechanic to learn more or eat it.
I gaurantee the next valve should only take him about 30seconds to diagnose.
Typically dealers will take what the manufacture gives them and figure it was a learning experience.
If I as a mechanic took that long (5.5hrs total) to diagnose and change the valve I think I'd find other work.
As redrocker said, what if it took 4hrs, what about 8hrs...or 2hrs?
The down side is, in your circumstance, if you don't pay, you may have a hard time dealing there again.
I saw it suggested here (or another tractor board) once that another brand had close to the same thing happen.
The customer and the dealer worked a deal that he would buy an implement off of the dealer and the dealer would absorb the cost difference.
This subject is touchy for all parties involved.
As they say "Been there-Done that", I'd eat it and learn LOL.
If Kioti pays the extra, it opens a big hole for others to do the same.
With most manufactures if you (the dealer) explain yourself it helps, as to why it took that long, what tests you did etc.

KO

/ kioti warranty #10  
Unless it is a crate tractor and I assembled it, I would expect the manufacturer to pay for it. Period. No discussion. I've owned several brands of tractors over the years, and none have been immune to something breaking or going wrong. That is not the point. However, I have absolutely never been asked to pay a dime for any repair during the manufacturer's warranty period.

I don't know your dealer or your situation, so my comments are only based on what I've read here. I believe I would have to make a call to Kioti to see if that is actually their policy. I'd have to wonder on that one. My last issue with the tractor I still own took hours and hours for the dealer to finally properly diagnose. I'm guessing 10 to 12 hours. I just can't believe for one minute that this dealer ate all that time. Blame his techs all you want, but he has 5 factory trained reps who are current on everything. Not every single thing that can go wrong with a tractor can be diagnosed immediately. Odd things happen. From what I've seen, factories are more hesitant to allow dealers to be parts changers. You know, start changing parts until you fix the problem.