kioti dk55 front end problems

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #12  
That is what warranties are for. The tractor is designed to work for the long haul, if someone screws up when making it it will fail pretty early on in life. The replacement shouldn't be (odds are) screwed up unless there is a design issue.

If you can abuse it for a year and shake out all these gremlins then you are set. The good news is that this hapened early. If it happens again to the same part then I would say it is something to worry about long term. From what I read, it sounds like each part failed once. Not the same part twice. Could it be possible that the parts were made as a modular assembly somewhere and that particular set of gears wasn't heat treated right or something similar? Might be a Friday night front axle (if they have weekends in Korea) that needs to be fixed once.

You are still in the shakedown period. I would NOT see this as grounds to dump the whole tractor as a lemon. Rather, the axle assembly may be a lemon but even that is a stretch.

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #13  
<font color="blue">Could it be a case of using 4WD on pavement by mistake? </font>

Man, I don't know ... that reminds me of a little boo-boo of mine. Right before my 50-hour oil changes, I took my tractor for a high-speed joyride around the (paved) parking lot - maybe about a 1/4 mile, at 14-15 MPH. "Man, listen to that hydro whine - cool", I'm saying to myself. When I parked it, I looked down at my feet and realized I had been in 4WD the whole time. "Sorry baby, good thing I'm about to change your fluids. We'll wash those nasty metal filings out of you, and I promise you, it'll never happen again". Oh well, another broken promise. I've done it since, but never quite like that.

I guess the point of my little story is that I wouldn't expect a scrubbing tire to exert enough force on a drive gear to break it. Break it IN maybe, but not break it.

I really am sorry if I've alienated anyone by what I've said in this thread. It really is not my intention to bad-mouth any particular make of tractor, and I have every reason to believe that this is not at all indicative of Kioti's in general. It couldn't possibly be, or they wouldn't have the very loyal following that they do. In fact, I just saw some up close and personal just yesterday, and stopped to take a picture (attached) and check them out. They looked great, well-designed, and very rugged. All the more reason I hope we get some more info on this situation. Could well be there's more than meets the eye, and for all I know, I've been hoodwinked. If so, shame on me for making assumptions, in which case, live and learn.

I really do try to do my best not to offend anyone, and be respectful of other people. We're all in this together, and I really do like the Golden Rule. I do my best to call them like I see them, and when I screw up, all I can do is apologize and ask for forgiveness. If and when you screw up, I promise to return the favor.

John

The picture was taken about .3 miles from my shop. (I think ones a DK40, not sure about the other one). Canton [CT] Feed & Supply obviously just became a dealer, cuz those babies weren't sitting there last week. They sure do look nice though - and I like the <font color="orange"> color </font> too! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 811086-IMG_1106a (600 x 398).jpg
    811086-IMG_1106a (600 x 398).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 263
   / kioti dk55 front end problems #14  
Wow Kioti has a great warranty if you can misuse it and abuse it for a year to "shake it down" and they still pay for it.

edit........sorry I butted in. I'll go back to my own home now.

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jamie,
Don't be so quick to condemn a first time poster with a problem. It happens in every forum here regardless of color/brand. People go looking for an answer to their problem and stumble across TBN, which they may not have known even existed when they purchased.
I know exactly what went through your mind when you posted and I understand the troll comment, but that's a fine way to welcome a new member. It might even drive them away.

edit.......welcome to TBN gooseneck )</font>

Point taken, Inspector. I did try to qualify my remarks but upon rereading them I did come off a bit harsh.

Regards, Jamie

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #16  
No problems here, John. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What I was trying to get a handle on was your line of demarcation; the point where you went from working with the dealer and manufacture to solve the problem vs. the point where you assumed your machine was a lemon. Your position seemed a bit harsh to me, but that’s no great sin. Just two different levels of expectation that's all.

Best Regards, Jamie

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #17  
Jamie - great post, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think I was a little low on caffeine when I wrote that first post this morning, and on re-reading it, I can see that it was a little on the harsh side. I like to be reasonable, and not let anger run my life. (Although I think that right about the time the second wheel fell off, my outwardly calm demeanor would have been showing a few stress fractures). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In calmly thinking about it, if it had happened to me ... I can honestly say that (after having a good old-fashioned ****-fit) I would have given everyone involved (dealer, manufacturer, the poor guy who maybe screwed up that Friday afternoon and forgot to heat-treat a batch of gears) the biggest dose possible of the type of understanding and forgiveness that I hold so near and dear to my heart, and tried to turn the situation into a "win-win" (and maybe gotten a few free Kioti hats out of the deal to boot). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also apologize for my earlier reply to you, in which I was just barely polite, but obviously letting my ego hold too much sway. (If tractors come with owner's manuals, shouldn't we? I guess we have to write our own as we go along). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peace, John

(And now I REALLY am curious to see what the "real deal" is here).

AND - we've gotta talk sometime about Auto Union Type C's - they look WAY cool, and I have a friend who I bet knows ALL about them! I'm gonna ask him tomorrow AM - after I have my coffee. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well you will pardon my skepticism but, we have two posters here that were not posting here at the time of purchase yet showed up once they had a “problem”. )</font>

I guess I was in the same situation. I never knew about TBN until about a year or so after I had my tractor. I ran into trouble and was posting in the newsgroups when Spencer invited me over here. So I never posted until I had trouble. But I was treated with respect and had my questions answered. I stuck around. I am not sure the original poster is going to. I don't think I would.

You talk about trolls. If the original poster was a troll you should have answered the question and went on with life. And most likely the troll would go away. The way most responded if the original poster was a troll he is probably laughing his heart out cause he got to you all.

Gooseneckmfg,

Your tractor and I am including all manufactures evidently had a defect in manufactureing either on the assembly line or who ever put the front end together. Get with you dealer and figure out what went wrong, and get the dealer/manufacture to extend the warranty on your tractor. I am sure things can be worked out.

Let us know how things turn out.

murph

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
AND - we've gotta talk sometime about Auto Union Type C's - they look WAY cool, and I have a friend who I bet knows ALL about them! I'm gonna ask him tomorrow AM - after I have my coffee. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

rose97nz.jpg

They were way cool, made me draw a short breath the first time I ever saw one.

Grand Prix cars made in the prewar years by a consortium of four small German companies... Horch, Wanderer, DKW and Audi. Featured a mid mounted V16 that made around 520 bhp in 1936 and 640 in 1937, had enough torque to induce wheel spin at over 100 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Driven by such legends as Bernd Rosemeyer, Tazio Nuvolari and Hans Stuck Sr. Rosemeyer dies in the stromline variant while attempting the reset the world speed record. (Both seen below) Just before his crash he was clocked at 280 mph enough for the record had he finished his run.

Well that’s a start......... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

autoros5wv.jpg

/ kioti dk55 front end problems #20  
OH ... MY ... GOD .... what incredible machines!!!!!

OK, can't hijack the thread, but man, that was a heck of a start all right! Maybe you could start a thread just on them, I'd love to hear and see more! Heck, now I want to own one, or at least drive one! (OK, sit in one and make vroom-vroom noises?)

Good lord though, doing 280 MPH without even a roll bar - what WERE they thinking??? Same with the early Indy car racers - roll and die - what's up with that??? Same reason tractors never had ROPS for so long I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks for sharing - great stuff! And rest well, you brave, crazy automotive pioneers - you guys had more guts than I ever will.

John