Mowing Flail mower on CK20: what size?

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I am debating replacing my 48" rotary mower with a light duty flail mower once I finish rough land clearing. No decision yet made. The area to be mowed is close to houses, roads, kids playing so I am getting skitish about the rotary mower for routine maintenance. The area is not a flat field and I think is a bit rough for a traditional RFM (though that may be an alternative).

One issue is what size flail I could effectively pull behind a CK20HST. For about the same price as a RFM, Caroni makes a lightweight flail in 48" and 59" sizes (Agrisupply). Weights are similar 465 and 483lbs and close enough to the BushHog at 440 that I don't think I will have a 3pt issue. Caroni gives 20-40hp as appropriate for both so the CK20 is at the lower end of that scale but I did not have any trouble with the BushHog which I would imagine consumes at least as much PTO power. There is a minor price difference so the bigger flail would be nice if I can pull it efficiently.

The land is sandy with relatively sparce grass/weeds and some brambles. It's been bush hogged recently and I am glad to say that no saplings survived. As a result of the sapling slaughter, there is a bunch of 1-2 inch debris scattered throughout the area. Also, there is a incline that I need to use low range to get up while mowing with the Bush Hog already.

Any experience or thoughts either on advisability of going to a flail mower or on the size issue?

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size? #2  
Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather keep the more versatile hog than go with a flail. I don't see any reason you couldn't, but if you need to cut saplings down the road, or even larger material, you'll be happier keeping the hog. I believe there is much less trouble in maintaining the hog as well.
With either machine, it's important to make sure no others are around while you're cutting.
John

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size? #3  
If you do go with a flail make sure you get the ruff cut knives and not the grass knives.

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size? #4  
I use a 60" on my CK30 and cut mostly grass. Occasional weeds or brush is not a problem and the flail does not hang out very far off the back either. A 6 footer would be no problem on this tractor and I think your CK20 could handle the 59". IMO these type of cutters don't use as much HP as a rotary. I sold a 60" woods rotary cutter to buy the flail. Should not have sold it. If at all possible, have both /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. There will be one or two times when you wished you still had the rotary and that's why I say try and have both. The flail would definitely make a better cut in the material you've described. Good Luck.....

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size?
Thanks to all of you for advice.

As stated, the main reason to consider the flail is because the routine mowing I do is on weekends and I cannot really control neighborhood kids, cars etc that may be around. I am mowing a roughly 4 acre area of conservation/public land that I have reclaimed from abandoned meadow status. The land is surrounded by homes and roads with local traffic. The saplings are gone (thanks Bush Hog) and I hope to keep them under control just with regular mowing. I also have a DR brush mower which can be used to handle smaller brush cutting duties (or I could sell the DR and keep the BushHog???). I guess another way to phrase the question is whether a flail would be more appropriate than a RFM for meadow maintenance along with mowing around house and barn.

I am not interested in golf course or finished lawn maintenance so I like Wallace's recommendation on using the heavier duty flails. The least expensive flail I can find is the Caroni and the importer/dealer doesn't seem to carry the heavier FM series, just the lawn oriented FL series. I guess I could replace the knives down the road if they are beaten up too quickly.

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size? #6  
I do weekend high weed mowing etc. with my CK20 and use the Kioti RC15-52" rotary for large jobs but also bought the 48" Coroni TL1200 flail mower to use in smaller areas. But since getting the flail, I've been using it more often then the rotary, it's more rock tolerant ( I do alot of rocky fields), and it doesn't throw objects in all directions. I used this to cut 2 acres of 5' high gray thistle weed to the ground. This mower came with "Y" blades which are cheap to replace if I ever break one, I wrapped up about 4' chain link fence one day with no damage to the mower, have bent some blades, just took 'em off, straighten them and put 'em back on. And customers love the look of the finished job ( no "wind rows" ). For the money, I think this is a great mower and if you can, keep the "bush hog" and buy the flail.

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size?
Thanks for the comments on the 48" Caroni. What are your thoughts on power/size? Specifically, would you consider using the 60" Caroni flail with the CK20? The weight isn't much different. Also, does the 48 cut beyond the right tire? I am actually more interested in the offset than faster mowing as I need to mow up against buildings.

/ Flail mower on CK20: what size? #8  
Yes, the 48" is offset approx. 8" to the right. As for the 60", I considered this size but settled on the 48" because of being able to get into back/side yards, now I'll be selling this and buying the 60" as I just traded in my CK20 and I'll be picking up my new CK30 today. I also noticed that I use alot less fuel when running the flail.