Hydraulic fluid use

/ Hydraulic fluid use #1  

hotairballoon

How much fluid do you have to add due to use of your tractor. I seem to need to add a quart every five or six hours. Is this about normal? There are no leaks.

/ Hydraulic fluid use #2  
Oh you can bet there are some leaks. You shouldn't have to be adding fluid unless there is.

Do this. Get a large enough piece of cardboard that you can hold it with your hand out of the danger area of a possible leak, put on some heavy gloves. Start the tractor and let the pressure build.
Now take the cardboard and run it aound wherever you have a hydro line. It's under great pressure and can inject into the skin with serious consequences, so be careful.

Pin leaks can push out a good bit of fluid but may not be seen unless they hit the cardboard and you'l see that.

The fluid HAS to be going somewhere. You have a leak you're just not aware of. Probably on one of the loader lines, but could also be in the metal lines under the tractor. Check them all.

The tractor normally won't run right if a quick disconnect coupler is not hooked properly, but you should check those as well to ensure they are tight on the fittings. That's the four connectors on the right side of the loader where they hook in.

John

/ Hydraulic fluid use #3  
How new is it and how mant hours are on it?
The reason why I ask is that we do a inspection on the tractors before we deliver them and you can check the oil a couple of times and think it is full but start the machine and run it move and shut it of and it will be a little different, also when you check your fluid make sure you hold the dipstick up and look at both sides.
I have seen several times that the fluid will be seen on one side more than the other it like you are scraping it as you pull the dip stick out.

I am not saying that you don,t have a problem just some helpfull hints to look into.

/ Hydraulic fluid use #4  
I bought my CK30hst new. After a few hours of use, I filled it to the upper mark on the dip stick. I don't think the dealer topped it off. I did my first service at 52 hours and the hydro oil was still at the full mark. I have 90 some hours on it now and it's still full. Sounds like a leak somewhere but a quart every 5 to 6 hours isn't a fast leak. Other than what John mentioned to hunt for the leak, is there a spot wet with oil somewhere? Start there. Maybe park it running for a while on a concrete floor unless you have a big piece of cardboard to set down and see where the oil drips from. You shouldn't have to add oil unless there is a leak.

/ Hydraulic fluid use #5  
I'd do as victor says, but will add to excersize loader, lift, etc while standing still.

/ Hydraulic fluid use #6  
Wallace,
Can the hydro leak back into the engine oil on these tractors? If he is actually losing oil, check the engine oil level as it may be rising? Just my two cents worth. I always think the worst and then it usually can't get any worse, hopefully something much simpler.

Steve

/ Hydraulic fluid use
When I first got the tractor I think it was low, by something over a quart, it had been on the lot long enough for the plugs on the loader to decay. Came with a backhoe, which I did not want, possible lost some when it was removed? But since then I have added almost a gallon in 37 hours. There is no sign of any oil anywhere I can see, no drip under it (always parked and warmed up in the same spot) don't see any thing in the loader crosspiece (looking for cracks also /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). I would think that a leak would come right on through the wraps on the hoses. Possibly in the steering, which is covered with Dust(very dry here) but no sign of greasy spots that I can see. I have been under it several times looking (dust there too). 50 hour is coming up, perhaps they can find it(or keep it until they do /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

/ Hydraulic fluid use
Thanks, I have already done that for most of the places I can see, can't do much inside the loader crosspiece but I don't feel anything in there. Well, back to looking I guess, it seemed high to me, but never had any thing that didn't leak or use up fluids somehow.

/ Hydraulic fluid use #9  
Hey,
I just finished chasing a similar problem. Hydraulic fluid leaking and no visible signs of the leak until I checked my transmission levels. Took the sump off and the gasket on the reservoir plate had a piece missing. Hydraulic fluid was leaking into the tranny.

Here is the link with the full story and fix: Hydraulic leak thread

Good luck!
Eddie

/ Hydraulic fluid use
Thanks, but I think the Kioti HSTs only have one hydraulic system for everything.