grownup fencerow:

/ grownup fencerow: #1  

tf116

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55
Hello again, another question...I need to cleanup some fencerows on new property that I am buying....I am also going to purchase a tractor with a FEL and Backhoe...probably a DK55, not 100%sure yet...But back to question, can I use backhoe to tear out old fence,brush,etc.?....don't want to spend a small fortune on a tractor then have to hire a dozer....
or is there an easier way?....I am open to suggestions...
Thanks Mike

/ grownup fencerow:
Hello again, another question...I need to cleanup some fencerows on new property that I am buying....I am also going to purchase a tractor with a FEL and Backhoe...probably a DK55, not 100%sure yet...But back to question, can I use backhoe to tear out old fence,brush,etc.?....don't want to spend a small fortune on a tractor then have to hire a dozer....
or is there an easier way?....I am open to suggestions...
Thanks Mike

/ grownup fencerow: #3  
Seems to me, if a DK 55 is going to be used to remove a fence row, the capabilities of that tractor with the described fencerow is the issue. In response to that question, I took out a fencerow of rose hedge, which is as tough a row as it gets, that surrounded a 20 acre meadow this last summer. I had taken 20-50 feet sections out with a 40 hp tractor, chain saw, chains, front loader, etc and it was a tough job. With a rented dozer, I did the whole meadow in a few hours. I rented the dozer for 225 hours and did a fabulous amount of tough jobs. After I was done with it, it needed some major track tightening and in retrospect, I think renting a dozer is a great option because you don't have to worry about maintenance and repair. I am thinking I may spend another grand for 40 more hours again soon...plus it is fun. A tractor is very different than a dozer--low maintenance and dependable as all get out.
If you have the time, the tractor will do the job. Good luck with your purchase decision.
I narrowed my buying choice to a John Deere or Kioti and bought the Kioti. The rest of the brands I eliminated for a variety of choices from reliability, design, personal preference, price, compatiablity--hey, am I describing a tractor or marriage? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ grownup fencerow: #4  
Seems to me, if a DK 55 is going to be used to remove a fence row, the capabilities of that tractor with the described fencerow is the issue. In response to that question, I took out a fencerow of rose hedge, which is as tough a row as it gets, that surrounded a 20 acre meadow this last summer. I had taken 20-50 feet sections out with a 40 hp tractor, chain saw, chains, front loader, etc and it was a tough job. With a rented dozer, I did the whole meadow in a few hours. I rented the dozer for 225 hours and did a fabulous amount of tough jobs. After I was done with it, it needed some major track tightening and in retrospect, I think renting a dozer is a great option because you don't have to worry about maintenance and repair. I am thinking I may spend another grand for 40 more hours again soon...plus it is fun. A tractor is very different than a dozer--low maintenance and dependable as all get out.
If you have the time, the tractor will do the job. Good luck with your purchase decision.
I narrowed my buying choice to a John Deere or Kioti and bought the Kioti. The rest of the brands I eliminated for a variety of choices from reliability, design, personal preference, price, compatiablity--hey, am I describing a tractor or marriage? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ grownup fencerow: #5  
I just recently purchased my first tractor ck30hst. I had no idea at the time what model of tractor or the equipment I needed. Talk to your kioti dealer explain what needs to be done, then get back on this site and ask if what you were told is correct. You will find this site to be very helpful for first time tractor owners.

/ grownup fencerow: #6  
I just recently purchased my first tractor ck30hst. I had no idea at the time what model of tractor or the equipment I needed. Talk to your kioti dealer explain what needs to be done, then get back on this site and ask if what you were told is correct. You will find this site to be very helpful for first time tractor owners.

/ grownup fencerow: #7  
One of the 'problems' I've seen over the years (this is common across all brands) is that people ask what tractor is needed to complete a series of tasks. This is a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. However, it's seldom that people indicate which of these tasks are recurring and which are one time tasks. IMO, people should buy a tractor that can handle their recurring tasks and rent a machine to handle the one time tasks that are bigger.

/ grownup fencerow: #8  
One of the 'problems' I've seen over the years (this is common across all brands) is that people ask what tractor is needed to complete a series of tasks. This is a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. However, it's seldom that people indicate which of these tasks are recurring and which are one time tasks. IMO, people should buy a tractor that can handle their recurring tasks and rent a machine to handle the one time tasks that are bigger.

/ grownup fencerow: #9  
That's great advice MikePA and I wholeheartedly agree. Don't waste time and money buying a machine and / or attachments that you will not use fairly regularly. For example, don't buy a backhoe (pricey item) if you only need to dig a one-time ditch. Rented equipment is much better suited for specific jobs - like dozers & trenchers. It might be cheaper, and certainly faster, to rent and not have those unused attachments rusting out in the field. Another method used by some guys is to buy, use and resell. Depending on how good a buy you get and how fast prices rise, you might even make money on the deal. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't be in a rush. I second DirtCutter's advice to talk to the dealer, do a bit more homework and test your findings out on this site before you make that final decision. Good luck & welcome to the family.

/ grownup fencerow: #10  
That's great advice MikePA and I wholeheartedly agree. Don't waste time and money buying a machine and / or attachments that you will not use fairly regularly. For example, don't buy a backhoe (pricey item) if you only need to dig a one-time ditch. Rented equipment is much better suited for specific jobs - like dozers & trenchers. It might be cheaper, and certainly faster, to rent and not have those unused attachments rusting out in the field. Another method used by some guys is to buy, use and resell. Depending on how good a buy you get and how fast prices rise, you might even make money on the deal. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't be in a rush. I second DirtCutter's advice to talk to the dealer, do a bit more homework and test your findings out on this site before you make that final decision. Good luck & welcome to the family.