Oil & Fuel Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #1  

Wattsfurniture

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I finished all 50 hr items on my ck30 except fuel filter replacement. The manual has a bleed procedure of running for 30 seconds with the fuel petcock on "air", shutting down, and restarting with the petcock at the "on" or open position.

Problem is the kioti tech mentioned that there is a valve or something on or near the injector pump that should be opened also during the 30 second run then closed. Therer is nothing in the manual about this, and I cannot find the valve.

Does anyone know about this?

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #2  
I just replaced my fuel filter for the first time two days ago. I looked for the familiar bleeder screw on top of the injection pump or on top of the fuel filter housing but there is none. At least there is none that looks like it should.

I followed the directions in the manual except I just couldn't resist prefilling the clear bowl to minimize the amount of air introduced to the system. I had prewarmed the engine since if the engine was going to struggle to keep running I wanted the operating temps up to deal with the extra abuse. I started the engine with the petcock in the air position, ran for 30 seconds, and then without killing the engine I spun the petcock to ON. At no time did the engine chug or miss, a couple of times during the AIR procedure I saw a small bubble rise within the bowl.

The filter change is pretty messy since the bowl full of diesel will spill and then the element will keep dripping off until it is removed. There are only two o-rings, the internal one that seals the little tit for the filter element and then the large external one that seals the clear bowl. I hope you have long fingers to get the spring back on the little hook in the bottom of the clear bowl.

One last thing. You aren't due to change that filter until 400. Supposedly you clean it at the lesser interval just like you are supposed to clean the air filter. The fuel filter is cheap though so I agree to just change it. My fuel filter and bowl only had one little chunk of plastic shaving in it. No dirt or water. A fine layer of sediment coated the bowl that wasn't apparent until I wiped it off. The amount of crud you find will depend on fuel quality.

Enjoy the sweet perfume of diesel.

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #3  
I changed mine last weekend, went all as planed. I followed the booklet same as Highbeam and didn't have any problems. I did fill the sediment bowl prior to connecting it back up. Also had a fine layer of scum in the bowl, but I didn't see any larger particulates.

Mine was easier to change with the FEL detached from the tractor.
The spanner nut on mine was on really tight. I used a craftsman rubber strap wrench 1" wide. I have a 1/2" one and that won't work it is too small. It took some finaglaling but it finally came loose. Not sure if others had this problem.

Good luck

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding
Thanks, guys.

Yeah mine is tight and I don't have a wrench. I'll check the auto parts store or bandsaw out a spanner from some aluminum plate scrap in my machine shop. I'll have to check the angle of the grooves on the nut though...IIR they are kind of trapezoidal and a simple spanner might not grab them.

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #5  
My bowl retainer ring came off by hand with a reasonable amount of effort. The housing is likely some alloy that might snap so I was leary of too much force. It is an o-ring seal so doesn't need to be too tight.

Why oh why did Kioti not install a draincock on the bottom of the bowl? A guy could drain off water, mud, and even drain down the bowl before removing it to change the element.

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #6  
Highbeam said:
Why oh why did Kioti not install a draincock on the bottom of the bowl? A guy could drain off water, mud, and even drain down the bowl before removing it to change the element.
Joe, you just reminded me of the old Gravely we had. Their fuel bowl had that draincock. Not a bad suggestion. Listening Kioti?

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #7  
I might be able to answer my own question. Whenever you drain that bowl through a draincock, you are going to also drain some fuel and the typical disposal method of the drainings is right to the ground for dust control. I suspect there is a little environmentalism here. Or maybe it is just cheaper to make the bowl without a valve.

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #8  
My recollection is that just everything of old that had a sediment bowl on it had a drain petcock. My guess is that manufacturing economy and maybe a desire to reduce the number of failure prone pieces-parts has led to the drainless bowl of the modern era. -WSJ

/ Ck30 fuel filter replacement and system bleeding #9  
Highbeam said:
I might be able to answer my own question. Whenever you drain that bowl through a draincock, you are going to also drain some fuel and the typical disposal method of the drainings is right to the ground for dust control. I suspect there is a little environmentalism here. Or maybe it is just cheaper to make the bowl without a valve.
Just another use for empty coffee cans and used paper towels :D