CK20HST and overheating

/ CK20HST and overheating #1  

H2ODiver

Hi everyone,

I have a CK20 and am running into overheating problems. I have replaced the fan belt, thermostat, flushed and filled radiator with 50/50 antifreeze and still am overheating. I am running a 5' finish mower and can get about 20-30 minutes of mowing short grass before temp gauge climbs out of the norm and into the red range.

I was thinking about having the radiator professionaly cleaned out but noticed another problem last night. I was finishing up last night mowing and turned the headlights on when I noticed after turning on lights it made an instantaneous change in the temp gauge reading. When turning off lights the temp needle changed again. The needle jumps approx 1/4 inch when light switch is turned on and off. Maybe my Kioti is not overheating? but possibly shorting in gauges? What could cause this?

Has anyone else run into this problem with temp gauge and also any other suggestions on the overheating issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

/ CK20HST and overheating #2  
Check the temperature of your radiator while it is "running hot". Either start it going with the radiator cap loose or off and stick a candy thermometer in the water or use an infra red thermometer and measure the metal radiator temperature, you'll get a good idea of what is going on...

Mike

/ CK20HST and overheating #3  
You did not mention anything about the removable screen in front of your radiator. That can easily be clogged by grass and junk while mowing in dusty or dry conditions. The only time my CK20 temp guage moves above the midpoint hatch mark is when that screen gets clogged.

/ CK20HST and overheating
Hi everyone,

I made sure that the screen is clear of all debris but am still running Hot. I will measure temp of radiator fluid with candy therometer and see actual temp.

What range of temperture should I be looking for? Also, did anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the temp needle to jump everytime I turn on the lights? The needle jumps approx. 1/4 inch toward the red when lights are turned on and when lights are turned off the needle instantly jumps 1/4 inch the other way away from the red zone and more towards the mid range mark.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Mike, I noticed you live N. of Winchester, VA. I am close in Clear Brook and started having this problem in the extreme heat we have been having. Could the 95+ temp be overheating my Kioti?

Thanks again

Chris

/ CK20HST and overheating #5  
H2ODiver said:
Could the 95+ temp be overheating my Kioti?
Chris

I suppose that is conceivable but I've been operating my CK20 in temps in the low 90s doing pretty heavy work with bush hog and grapple and I don't see the temp any higher than I did during the springtime doing similar work.

/ CK20HST and overheating #6  
"I made sure that the screen is clear of all debris but am still running Hot. I will measure temp of radiator fluid with candy therometer and see actual temp."

Whoa there, don't go removing that radiator cap when the gauge says it's overheating. You'll get a shower that you won't forget. Maybe just try and measure the temp of the outside of the radiator.

I ran my CK30 in 95 degree temps, dust, and pure noontime sun while doing heavy loader work and clearing with no budge in the engine temp until the screen gets plugged. Now, the trans temp gets much warmer than usual as noted by putting my hand on the trans filter and counting seconds until I can't hold my hand there any longer. I clean the screens and idle at an elevated rpm to try and cool the trans.

/ CK20HST and overheating #7  
H2ODiver,

Any followup on your overheating or jumpy gauge problems?

/ CK20HST and overheating #8  
Hey Chris, just read your msg. I was working as a volunteer with the sheriff's dept at the county fair last week right near you!

No these temperatures are nothing to my ck30.

I think your temp guage is wrong, did you measure the temperature somehow?

With the cap off it of course should be no more than 212 deg F, ie not boiling. That would be a good test run it with the cap off and when your guage says overheat if the guage is right it would probably be boiling.

I am near Chesnut Grove Church near Siler.

Mike