Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle

/ Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle #1  

4sarge

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 45s KL451S 72
45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle control, key will not shut off engine.

Tractor had been running about 15 or so minutes and was working fine. Shut it off for about 20 and then went to restart - started but weird, it was chugging, built up idle speed and then was accelerating uncontrollably. Turned off the key and it still ran. Finally pinched the fuel line to get it to shut off. Let it set, restarted it about 10 minutes later, with the same results.

Hand and foot throttle appear to work normally but have no control over engine idle speed. Key will not shut it off. I'm mystified and didn't see any other similar posts. Racing like the pedal was all the way to the floor

Any quick fixes or diagnoses of the problem?

Thanks in advance

/ Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle #2  
I would say diesel runaway but the fuel line pinching killed it so I must assume it is in the injection pump. How does the throttle linkage feel? When the throttle is applied, does something at the injection pump move?

/ Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle
Thanks - Highbeam for your response :) Throttle linkage appears to be working normally and the tractor has only has 19 hours on it. The diesel fuel is good (not old or contaminated), throttle linkages appear to be working properly. and it was running fine just moments before and has never hesitated before. I was hoping that a member or dealer who has experienced a similar problem would have an explanation or a quick fix. My guess is the injector or some weird electrical problem and I haven't a clue why turning the key off doesn't shut off the engine. Luckily, the tractor was in neutral and was not moving or someone could have been seriously injured. Not a happy Kioti Owner this morning :(

UpDate- In contact with Rick Wallace (Wallace Tractor) who is trying to troubleshoot the possible cause of the problem. Kudos to Rick

I'll update as progress occurs

No Luck Today getting it started today - :confused: Battery recharging overnight, seems to me it's starving for fuel. Fuel filter has diesel, injector lines seem to have fuel :( saga continues tomorrow

/ Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle #6  
Within the first week of owning mine I could not get the tractor to shut off by the key. I had to pull the fuel shutoff knob on the dash. After doing that I could not get it to start. I found the lever attached to the injection pump was stiff and stuck in the fuel shut off position. Probably the engine paint making it stiff. I lubed it up and have had no problems since. Mine did not race to wide open throttle though. Maybe the throttle lever is stuck in the wide open position and the fuel shutoff is stuck as well. See if you can move any of the levers on the injection pump. Check to make sure the fuel shut off solenoid is working.

/ Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle #7  
.....key will not shut off engine.

Make sure the plug at the alternator is not loose and firmly in place. If my memory serves me right the plug 'clicks' when latched together properly (on my CK30).

Don

Thanks All - :) I'm getting the click, and the lever appears to be working as far as I can tell. Problem is I'm not a mechanic - Rick has walked me thru by telephone some checks and has promised more thoughts today (Bless you Rick :D ) I'm usually good at diagnosing auto problems and it seems to me, now it's starving for fuel. Rick wants me to get it started to see if the wild engine race is still there and thinks that by pinching off the fuel line emptied the fuel filter and fuel line to the injector.

Rick walked me thru a couple of checks yesterday. There appears to be fuel in the filter, I loosened an injector line and diesel fuel was present, the lever if pulled back toward the seat automatically moves to the front position toward the tractor front and I've pumped up the fuel filter. Donny - I don't think that I have a dash mounted fuel shutoff; If I do - please advise. I've recharged the battery back to full and will attempt more today. I'm worried that the problem is the injector itself and will require being hauled in. Not good for me or a 19 hour tractor :(

When the problem occurred on the engine start, it was chugging for fuel and started building up speed and then just going to full race. Turning off the key would not stop it, pinched the line and it did stop. Let it sit about 5 minutes, then restarted the tractor, chugged at the beginning, building up speed and went back to full race. Now, it will not restart, just cranks. Tractor has clean diesel and had ran fine before with out the first problem.

It does make a pretty orange yard ornament but an awful expensive one :rolleyes:

/ Help - 45s Problem - engine racing - no throttle #9  
Mine has a red knob under the key switch that you can pull out and stop the engine. I don't normally use it.

Donnyj said:
Mine has a red knob under the key switch that you can pull out and stop the engine. I don't normally use it.

Donny - Mine doesn't have that option - I wonder if yours is older or newer than mine. Purchased my Kioti in the Spring of this year and it was in the crate when Rick received it. By chance, is it connected to that lever we discussed earlier under the hood? If yours is older, I don't know why Kioti did away with it because it isn't a good feeling or probably safe to have your diesel at full race and unable to turn it off with the key.