Security & Theft Tractor Security

/ Tractor Security #1  

Sandlot

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20(Gear)
At this time, I cannot lock my tractor up. I have a 6' chainlink fence around my property and two mean looking dogs. Notice I said "mean Looking". :) I worry about all the Crack Heads and Speed Freaks in my area taking it to the local Pawn Shop. I have been getting in the habit of closing the fuel cock at the filter. This may slow them up a bit. If I forget, will it cause any damage to the injector pump?

Thanks!

/ Tractor Security #2  
My first defense: a big obvious chain. Note the wheels are turned and the clutch is immobilized, so it can't be backed onto a trailer.

With this elderly Yanmar I am probably more at risk of vandalism, driving the tractor, than theft.

32967d1107163050-theft-prevention-tractor-575542-dscn4523r.jpg

/ Tractor Security
Not sure what your steering wheel is made of, but mine would take about 45 seconds with a hacksaw. They showed this in one of those TV news shows on how "The Club" could be defeated with ease.

/ Tractor Security #5  
Occasionally, I leave my machine unattended for extended periods. To discourage theft I run a thick (plastic coated) locking cable through the rear rim and around the axle. Makes it tougher, but if they really want anything, they'll find a way. Key is to make them work for it and most of the time they'll move on and look for an easier target.

/ Tractor Security #7  
Make it a little bit difficult but good insurance is pretty important. I winched a dead tractor onto my trailer so I know it makes little difference whether you can start the engine or not except a bit of time and effort which a crack head has plenty of energy for.

Out of sight is a big deal too.

In answer to your specific question on whether a closed petcock will damage the injection pump, well I don't know but I am listening for the answer.

/ Tractor Security
Thanks for the replies. Actually, I have concidered LOJACK. The drawback to this system is that the Cops want to make the arrest, and not just tell me where the tractor is so that I can take care of the problem. ;) Any who, as Highbeam stated; back to my original question, will cranking the tractor with the fuel petcock closed damage anything?

/ Tractor Security #9  
Sandlot said:
. I have been getting in the habit of closing the fuel cock at the filter. This may slow them up a bit. If I forget, will it cause any damage to the injector pump?

Thanks!

In general fuel pumps are positive displacement pumps of different varieties. They may be diaphragm operated with some sort of cam or lobe to move the diaphragm, can be piston type with two spring loaded valves for intake or discharge of fuel, can be gear driven like most commercial engine generator set , or can be driven by some rubber impeller in some pump housing volute. in case of diesel engines pumps are mainly gear type and put out tremendous amount of pressure for injector operation. If you do not have an internal relief valve of sort you will end up with " dead heading the pump", and that's not a good thing at all. If you restrict the intake side of the pump then you cause pump cavitation and that's is equally bad. to my knowledge all of the positive displacement pumps have internal safety relief valve that dissipate the pressure in to the suction line so for a short period you Will not have a problem with pump damage, the only caveat is building a lot of heat that you can not dissipate and that kills the pump quick. I know I have not answered your question completely but I personally avoid exposing my pump to undue duress. Obviously if you have gas engine or gravity fed fuel system with tank at higher elevation than the carburetor you will not cause any harm by closing the valve.

/ Tractor Security #10  
The fuel has lubricants in it for lubricaning the fuel system...if there is no fuel , no lubricant ....
Not on a tractor ,but while in service (navy)..We changed out a diesel fuel pump to a boiler and when we started it up, I had forgotten to open fuel valve...the pump ran about 30 seconds and seized up ....
I got a lot of dirty looks for several weeks....
Also most old tractors, have a fuel shutoff to stop engine...you pull out a knob like an old choke and it stops the engine...to restart you have to push knob back in before it would start.....
Just my 2 cents worth....
I think a hidden electrical switch would be a better choice...Mike