CK20 electric plug behind seat?

/ CK20 electric plug behind seat? #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
Never to early to get ready for winter...

Thanks to previous posts, I dug out the little plug under the left fender. Although close to the left taillight, it powers up with ignition rather than lights.

I'd like to use it to mount a pair of lights front and rear on the roll bar, and also a pair of flashers. With 50W lamps, that's almost ten amps on a wire that looks like around #18. Anyone know if that's OK for the wire, and OK as an added load on whatever circuit that is? Also, can I buy a mating plug someplace? Didn't see one at AutoZone, but also didn't know what to ask for. (It's got two blades at right angles.)

I'd take it off directly from the headlights, except (1) it's a lot less convenient, and (2) I'd actually rather not use them - they reflect back from the loader blade while plowing or landscaping.

Thanks-

Chelydra

/ CK20 electric plug behind seat? #2  
I think you are going to need at least a 12 gage wire. You can probably google it and find a table. I'm surprised that they would put auxiliary power on 18 gage.

E

/ CK20 electric plug behind seat? #3  
I couldn't find a matching plug, so I used two quick connect female connectors to go over the terminals in the plug. I am running 2 - 55 watt lamps off that plug, using 16 guage lamp cord. Works great!

/ CK20 electric plug behind seat? #4  
This should help, cut and paste from a site I found.

"Load Carrying Capacities (see table below)
The following chart is a guideline of ampacity or copper wire current carrying capacity following the Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas for American Wire Gauge. As you might guess, the rated ampacities are just a rule of thumb. In careful engineering the insulation temperature limit, thickness, thermal conductivity, and air convection and temperature should all be taken into account. The Maximum Amps for Power Transmission uses the 700 circular mils per amp rule, which is very very conservative. The Maximum Amps for Chassis Wiring is also a conservative rating, but is meant for wiring in air, and not in a bundle. For short lengths of wire, such as is used in battery packs you should trade off the resistance and load with size, weight, and flexibility. AWG gauge Diameter Inches Diameter mm Ohms per 1000 ft Ohms per km Maximum amps for chassis wiring Maximum amps for power transmission."

Chassis Wiring
Gauge Amps
12 41
13 35
14 32
15 28
16 22
17 19
18 16
19 14
20 11