Trailer recommendation

/ Trailer recommendation
Yes, I have looked at trip costs (640 one way), and the biggie is gas. I will get 14 mpg going out, and 7 loaded. 2-3 nights in a fleabag, and a coupla meals (I take my own breakfast & lunch. I did not bother with vehicle insurance and depreciation, although depreciation/repairs are often important costs I ignored them because the vehicle is only worth about $4K, and insurance has to be paid anyway.

The round trip will be about $1000 including tailer rental (although I doubt I can find a trailer in my small town to meet the criteria discussed here). So $800 if I were to buy one, plus the capital cost.

That's why I'm looking into freight at this point.

C

/ Trailer recommendation #22  
I was able to rent a 12000 lb (it might have been 14k) rated car hauler type trailer from the local rental yard. The typical small equipment type yard and not a bulldozer type place. 50$ per day and it was extremely substantial in all the right places. Tilt bed too. I needed it for a 7000 lb excavator being borrowed along with a buddy's truck to tow the package.

The rental yard also had chain and binders available for a small additional fee. I would recommend at least calling the yards within a days drive of your home to look into it.

Setting up a WD system on a rental trailer is simple too.

Attachments

• towin.JPG
    towin.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 185
   / Trailer recommendation #23  
Bird said:
Having been a fleet manager and playing with this computer and spreadsheets, I've been doing that for years. And if anything, David, your figures are quite conservative. Most people would be lucky to get their actual total costs that low.

I'm very frugal and very lucky. 20 years of $500.00 cars helps, too. :D

I looked into the costs of driving to Tazewell, VA from Northern Indiana to pick up our Power Trac back in 2001. About a 1200 mile round trip. 19 hours of driving and one overnight stay, wear and tear on our truck, gas, trailer rental and two solid days of my time. I had the tractor, 60" finish mower, 48" brush hog, 60" snow plow, two buckets, pallet forks and loading ramps shipped here for $500.00 using Overnight Freight Co. at Power Trac's suggestion. I ordered it on Friday and it was here on Monday. Couldn't beat it.

/ Trailer recommendation #24  
"My 7000 lb equipment trailer tows MUCH better and easier than a 6000 lb RV. Tracks better too. Trouble is you can't run back to the camper to use the facilities while on the road"

It is possible to run back and use the facilities if you have a 2" reciever mount on your tractor. :-D :-D ;-)

The Ultimate Portable toilet for the outdoorsman.

Dan

/ Trailer recommendation
There apears to be an exposure issue.

I wouldn't like to try this at expressway sped.

Back to the topic, I put an ad on the forum and found someone willing to haul the tractor for me for $800. Cheeaper than any solutution I could find, and no worries about equipment.

So thanks for all the very helpful pointers; in fact keep them coming - I'm going to need a trailer sooner or later for more local transport. This has been a great thread!

Charlie

/ Trailer recommendation #26  
Glad you found a less expensive alternative. Leaves you more $$ for implements, mods, etc... ;)

/ Trailer recommendation
The LB1941 is finally here and has done some work!

There should be a cold one here for everyone who offered helpful posts thanks guys.

The tractor came from Artrac in Clarksville, AR, thanks to Chip Uren there who was completely helpful during the entire deal -RECOMMENDED!

C

Attachments

• IMG_0354s.jpg
    IMG_0354s.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 119
   / Trailer recommendation #28  
Does that setup really weigh 6000 lbs??? That's heavier than my CK25 TLB with loaded tires. Anyway, glad to see you have your new machine. She's a beauty!

When you do decide to buy a trailer, look for used first. Many times you can find a very nice trailer for about half the cost of new. Also, don't overlook the cost of adequate chains and shackles; they can be expensive. I was looking at trailers yesterday at Tractor Supply. A new 10K lb trailer was just under $2800. I saw a two-year old used one in very good condition advertised for $1000.

There have been many posts about trailers on TBN that I have found very helpful. If you haven't looked them up, it's worth doing. I especially like the tilt-load trailers. Still haven't bought one myself; just can't decide.

Enjoy your new machine!

/ Trailer recommendation #30  
cgraham said:
Actually it is estimated to weigh 7000# with implements, trailer and beer :)

Right at the limit, + or -

This thread on weighh station requirements suggests I need not have worried (most only want commercial traffic):

That looks like some red hook brew in the bucket. It always tastes better at the brewery. You should see the stack of kegs outside their place.

I don't worry about the law coming and nabbing me while on the road, I worry about being involved in a wreck and then having the law try and blame me by finding something wrong with my trailer. I do like to swing through closed weigh stations and utilize their scales which they so kindly leave turned on and visible from outside the weigh shack through a window.

Enjoy the tractor. I especially like the loader, it looks stout and has hydraulic lines on the OUTSIDE like a loader should. I don't think I believe the 6000# part either, sounds a lot high though these Kiotis sure pack a lot of weight.