CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55?

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #1  

Greenecho

Tractor
CK25HST
I'm sure this problem becomes more popular as winter approaches. Out here on the west coast, it isn't winter quite yet. Here's the question/problem.

CK25 with 90 hours. Hard to start when temp drops slightly below 55 degrees. One GP cycle (8 seconds) doesn't work. It usually takes four cycles (32 seconds) before the engine will turn-over and start. Anything less and it's unburned fuel coming from the exhaust. Battery is new, good connections and the engine turns over well. Once started it runs fine.

Checked the voltage at the glow plugs and it's 11-12vdc for the 8 second cycle. That looks good.

If it's difficult to start between 50-55 degrees - I'm sure it's going to be a pain at 30.

Any recomendations?

Thanks

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #2  
Last winter I found a trick with my CK20.

Turn Key to pre-heat, when light clicks off, crank engine.

After the engine starts to fire, just release the key slightly and the glow plugs will light. Keep the engine running with the plugs lit until there is enough heat to keep it going.

Throttle should be slightly under 1/2 until it runs smooth, then drop to 1400 or so for the warm up.

Cheers

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #3  
I would verify that all glow plugs are working properly.

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #4  
Have you checked the fuel filter?

Try soaking the fuel filter in Kerosene and (lightly) blowing it out with compressed air.

My thought is.....there could be a wax build up on the fuel filter, enough to slow the flow of fuel at start up.

Don

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #5  
I would test the glow plug system for faulty plugs and replace as needed.

I don't think I would worry about the fuel gelling at 55 degree's, definately not cold engough to solidify wax particles in diesel fuel.

It wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filter though. If it's full of black slime you will need to treat your fuel with a bactericide to kill any microbial growth in the system.

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #6  
Something isn't right. Where is the throttle set when you are cranking? Mine easily starts at 30 after being trailered for 50 miles so it is cold. In our relatively moderate climate there should be no issues starting a Kioti. Our diesel is always number 2.

I start with the throttle set to low idle until the oil pressure light goes off and then raise the RPMs to 1250 for warm up. I've always gotten just a single puff of black smoke at startup and I always use a single full glow plug cycle.

I assume you are using 15w-40 oil? The fuel filter should still be nice and clean at 90 hours.

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55?
Interesting suggestions...

I've checked the fuel filter (nice & clean). Seem to be getting ample fuel (blue smoke from the exhaust when cranking). Runs like normal once started.

I usually start the tractor with the throttle in the low position. I've tried various throttle positions - no difference.

Oil/filter is what the dealer recommended (changed at 50 hours).

I suspect glow plugs - but all three (bad) at 90 hours?? I checked the voltage at each GP - looks good.

Any suggestions on which type of glow plugs these are? If I have to take them out to test them, might as well replace them with new ones. Can't be that expensive.

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #8  
Some lack of compression somewhere, is there a device that lowers compresson for starting?

Have you added something to take out any water in the fuel?

CK30 starts without glow plugs at 55...not bad at 20F with single glow plug run.

I would think you could test resistance of glow plugs using ohmmeter when installed.

MIke

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #9  
Make sure all of the engine shut down equipment is returning to the start position.
Sometimes the cable will hang up and not allow it to return to the start position
If the solenoid doesn't return to the start position it will start hard.

BTI

/ CK25 cold (hard) starting below 55? #10  
Good info here, as usual.

I'm curious about starting RPM. I was advised years ago that automobile engines should be held at 1200~1500 RPM until warm. Higher would risk under-lube from viscous oil, and lower would risk under-lube from low oil flow.

This CK20 is the first diesel I've owned, and I'd like to to outlive me. I currently start and warm it up at about 1200 RPM; half-throttle seems fast.

Other thoughts?

Thanks-

Chelydra