Oil & Fuel CK20 HST oil overflowed at dipstick check

/ CK20 HST oil overflowed at dipstick check #1  

malk315

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
Hi-

I have a CK20 HST w/ 23 hours thats only a few months old. It's seen about 10 mowings w/ mid-mount deck and moved about 8 yards of loam to fill stump holes.

I took the tractor out this morning and saw a small spot of what I knew wasn't just water on the concrete floor (clear liquid with a bit of viscosity to it). I let the tractor warm up (I started it to see how it would do given there was frost on the ground this morning -- started up fine). After temp guage showed she was warm, I put it away to go play with RC planes (my other toys) I wiped up the oil so I would know if more came out later.

About 3 hours later I inspected and no new oil on floor, but a single drop hanging off the frame below the HST oil filler dipstick -- and dipstick tube is moist and collected grass debris. I think I've isolated it to HST oil that overflowed out of where the dipstick checker is right next to the foot pedal that engages the differential lock. The 4WD lever is right in that area too.

It looks like the initial spot was just from overflow since the rubber stopper on the dipstick goes in kind of easy (doesn't seem to seal all that great).

I took the dipstick out to inspect the level and a few ounces of oil just overflowed and made a small puddle on the floor -- returned the dipstick to get it to stop (kind of stopped on it's own anyway). Pulled dipstick out a few more times to get a good idea where the level actually is and it seems to be at the full line or darn close to it even though some has flowed on to the floor.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Perhaps my dealer over-filled it a bit?

Should the dipstick rubber stopper be tighter in the tube so if oil works its way up the checker tube it won't overflow? If it's normal for oil to push up the checker tube, I'm going to need to get a better sealing dipstick. If at a normal level it won't normally creep up the checker tube (whether tractor is working or stored), I won't worry about it. I will probably have my dealer get me a new dipstick since it's a simple (and cheap) potential fix -- then I'll also have a spare.

Also -- anyone care about a particular brand of HST oil?

Kioti manual says 4.89 US gallons of the following:

Shell Donax-TD or Donax-TM
Mobil Fluid 350
Exxon Torque Fluid 56

What I really find strange is that it recommends 5.71 gallons of the identical stuff above for a non-HST tractor. Isn't that a bit bizarre? shouldn't a gear machine take something like 90 weight gear oil? Seems odd. The front axle case takes 0.82 gallons of 90 weight gear oil -- that seems normal.

Anyway -- curious if anyone else out there has experienced anything like this.

Glad it wasn't a leak from a seal or filter etc. The red filter that sticks out where your right foot sits is a bit inconvenient in that when using HST pedal to go backwards, it's easy to catch your heel on the filter body and possibly step on it w/ decent force. I thought I might have caused that to lose it's seal when I saw the initial oil puddle -- but inspection shows that seems to be alright (I've caught it w/ my a heel a few times, but not as much now that I've got more experience operating the machine).

Eric M.

CK20 HST w/ DMM 60" side discharge mower, KL120 loader (will inspect for cracks after 50 hour service or have dealer check it).

/ CK20 HST oil overflowed at dipstick check #2  
Universal Torque Fluids are multi purpose fluids. They act as a hydraulic fluid and in common sump systems also as clutch lubricant, brake friction disc lubricant and gear case lubricant. So yes, UTF is suitable for gear systems that call for it.

Personally I use Texas Refinery Corp. Universal Torque Fluid. It is listed for use in Kioti equipment. Great low foaming UTF with a extra heavy duty additive package.

Basically pick whatever fluid you like as long as it is listed for use with your equipment. If it calls for a UTF, use a UTF. If it calls for gear oil, use gear oil.

/ CK20 HST oil overflowed at dipstick check #3  
Hi-

I have a CK20 HST w/ 23 hours thats only a few months old. It's seen about 10 mowings w/ mid-mount deck and moved about 8 yards of loam to fill stump holes.

I took the tractor out this morning and saw a small spot of what I knew wasn't just water on the concrete floor (clear liquid with a bit of viscosity to it). I let the tractor warm up (I started it to see how it would do given there was frost on the ground this morning -- started up fine). After temp guage showed she was warm, I put it away to go play with RC planes (my other toys) I wiped up the oil so I would know if more came out later.

About 3 hours later I inspected and no new oil on floor, but a single drop hanging off the frame below the HST oil filler dipstick -- and dipstick tube is moist and collected grass debris. I think I've isolated it to HST oil that overflowed out of where the dipstick checker is right next to the foot pedal that engages the differential lock. The 4WD lever is right in that area too.

It looks like the initial spot was just from overflow since the rubber stopper on the dipstick goes in kind of easy (doesn't seem to seal all that great).

I took the dipstick out to inspect the level and a few ounces of oil just overflowed and made a small puddle on the floor -- returned the dipstick to get it to stop (kind of stopped on it's own anyway). Pulled dipstick out a few more times to get a good idea where the level actually is and it seems to be at the full line or darn close to it even though some has flowed on to the floor.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Perhaps my dealer over-filled it a bit?

Should the dipstick rubber stopper be tighter in the tube so if oil works its way up the checker tube it won't overflow? If it's normal for oil to push up the checker tube, I'm going to need to get a better sealing dipstick. If at a normal level it won't normally creep up the checker tube (whether tractor is working or stored), I won't worry about it. I will probably have my dealer get me a new dipstick since it's a simple (and cheap) potential fix -- then I'll also have a spare.

Also -- anyone care about a particular brand of HST oil?

Kioti manual says 4.89 US gallons of the following:

Shell Donax-TD or Donax-TM
Mobil Fluid 350
Exxon Torque Fluid 56

What I really find strange is that it recommends 5.71 gallons of the identical stuff above for a non-HST tractor. Isn't that a bit bizarre? shouldn't a gear machine take something like 90 weight gear oil? Seems odd. The front axle case takes 0.82 gallons of 90 weight gear oil -- that seems normal.

Anyway -- curious if anyone else out there has experienced anything like this.

Glad it wasn't a leak from a seal or filter etc. The red filter that sticks out where your right foot sits is a bit inconvenient in that when using HST pedal to go backwards, it's easy to catch your heel on the filter body and possibly step on it w/ decent force. I thought I might have caused that to lose it's seal when I saw the initial oil puddle -- but inspection shows that seems to be alright (I've caught it w/ my a heel a few times, but not as much now that I've got more experience operating the machine).

Eric M.

CK20 HST w/ DMM 60" side discharge mower, KL120 loader (will inspect for cracks after 50 hour service or have dealer check it).
Freaking mud dobbers! My Kioti CK 20 HST with 328 hours started overflowing the hydraulic fluid out of the dipstick tube. When I take the cap off the fill tube I could hear the air pressure relieve. There is a little upside down candy cane vent under the seat that can be seen from the rear of the tractor, the blessed mud dobbers stopped mine up.

Attachments

• 20211025_190733.jpg
    20211025_190733.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
   / CK20 HST oil overflowed at dipstick check #4  
Oil flowing out the crankcase dipstick is cause for concern. It COULD have been over filled by the dealer but keep a close eye on it. You could have diesel entering the crankcase. That would result in an over full condition. Another possibility is hydraulic fluid bypassing a leaky pump seal. If your crankcase gets too full your pistons can end up trying to compress oil, then you have a very expensive mess on your hands.

/ CK20 HST oil overflowed at dipstick check #5  
Thanks for that reminder. I've been parking mine outside trying to figure out a shop lay out with a new ZT mower added to the family.
No issues but as a pre-flight inspection before firing it up not a bad idea to check it......good call....!

Used to spray for them until I learned they kill black widows and brown recluse so I just let them live rent free in the barn....but they sure can get in the way when puling out stuff from a shelf a few months later...LO...